VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. Hi all,

I have an E-AC-3 file and I need to add a couple of seconds of silence at the beginning of it - is this possible? From what I can see there are no E-AC-3 encoders. If not what would you suggest I do to achieve this with maximum quality? Unfortunately with this project I can't alter the video length.

This is the file info:

Audio
    Format : E-AC-3
    Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
    Duration : 1 h 59 min
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffmpeg can encode E-AC-3 (not sure if all flavors, though). Try something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -i "anullsrc=channel_layout="5.1(side)":sample_rate=48000" -to 03.264 -b:a 640k "silence.eac3"
    (3 seconds 264ms silence in this example)
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's great! Thanks sneaker much appreciated.

I've done that a made my silence eac3 for the correct time. Just one more question (I've never used ffmpeg before) how would I join this new file and my other audio file together as one eac3 file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not sure if this allowed (headers?) but try:
    Code:
    copy /b "silence.eac3" + "rest.eac3" "output.eac3"
    (or similar)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/copy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks I'll give that a go.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No luck I'm afraid, however I did just find this in the eac3to guide where it shows examples:

Delay an E-AC3 track by +178ms:
    eac3to input.eac3 output.eac3 +178ms

I'll test it later and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try MKVToolNixGUI. Use it to append the two eac3 files and mux them as a single mka, then use something like gMKVExtractGUI to extract the single audio stream as eac3 again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had been a bit sidetracked but just tested the eac3to command 'eac3to input.eac3 output.eac3 +178ms'. This actually works perfectly. Thanks hello_hello for the other option though.
    Quote Quote