VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have an E-AC-3 file and I need to add a couple of seconds of silence at the beginning of it - is this possible? From what I can see there are no E-AC-3 encoders. If not what would you suggest I do to achieve this with maximum quality? Unfortunately with this project I can't alter the video length.

This is the file info:

Audio
    Format : E-AC-3
    Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
    Duration : 1 h 59 min
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. ffmpeg can encode E-AC-3 (not sure if all flavors, though). Try something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -i "anullsrc=channel_layout="5.1(side)":sample_rate=48000" -to 03.264 -b:a 640k "silence.eac3"
    (3 seconds 264ms silence in this example)
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's great! Thanks sneaker much appreciated.

I've done that a made my silence eac3 for the correct time. Just one more question (I've never used ffmpeg before) how would I join this new file and my other audio file together as one eac3 file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not sure if this allowed (headers?) but try:
    Code:
    copy /b "silence.eac3" + "rest.eac3" "output.eac3"
    (or similar)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/copy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks I'll give that a go.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No luck I'm afraid, however I did just find this in the eac3to guide where it shows examples:

• Delay an E-AC3 track by +178ms:
    eac3to input.eac3 output.eac3 +178ms

I'll test it later and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try MKVToolNixGUI. Use it to append the two eac3 files and mux them as a single mka, then use something like gMKVExtractGUI to extract the single audio stream as eac3 again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had been a bit sidetracked but just tested the eac3to command 'eac3to input.eac3 output.eac3 +178ms'. This actually works perfectly. Thanks hello_hello for the other option though.
    Quote Quote