VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to know how I can get the most out of the video conversion so that it is the closest thing to the original. The setting default of handbrake with cfr 18 does not convince me. I am testing Xmedia Recode but I don't know what options I should touch to optimize the final result. Could someone with experience give some advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    H.264 or H.265, lower the CRF value to increase the bitrate, and choose a slower preset.
    (if the default preset is medium, try slow, etc,etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you. By "optimize" I mean that the video quality loses as little as possible. I do not mean the size of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by villaquien View Post
    Thank you. By "optimize" I mean that the video quality loses as little as possible. I do not mean the size of the file.
    But the two are related, slower presets use different techniques to squeeze out a little more quality,
    that's why they're slower, processing time is increased
    Quote Quote  
  5. also use more bframes, lets say bframes=10 and reframes=5, use open GOP --open-gop
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by villaquien View Post
    I would like to know how I can get the most out of the video conversion so that it is the closest thing to the original. The setting default of handbrake with cfr 18 does not convince me. I am testing Xmedia Recode but I don't know what options I should touch to optimize the final result. Could someone with experience give some advice?
    If you want a realistic answer ask a realistic question!

Your question (in real life terms) is the same as me saying: "I looked for a new girlfriend that is as close to my ex girlfriend as possible. I settled for the girl at my local bar but she didn't convince me!"

What is your source? file? dvd? blu-ray?
    What do you want to end up with? What, or where will you play it? computer? TV? media player? phone?
    What's important to you? Speed, quality? or size? (pick two!)
    Quote Quote  
  7. What's important to you? Speed, quality? or size? (pick two!)
    Reminds me when I was 3 or 4 and was asked what I wanted for Christmas and I replied, out of the blue and quick on the draw, “a gun, a train and a baby” – and what's crazy is that I got all three ! And around the same time my soon-to-be-divorced parents made me go through an ordeal one morning during breakfast, both agreeing (for once) on the fact that I couldn't get both milk and orange juice, I had to choose, otherwise I would vomit they prophesized... My memory of that moment (one of my very first clear memories in this existence) is surprisingly vivid, my father was on the left side and my mother on the right side – and it feels as though it lasted hours, hours of utter confusion, during which I was urged to make a choice for which I hadn't been provided with precise information regarding the likely outcome of each term of the alternative... Perhaps I had the eery premonition that this would be my defining attitude toward the world later on. Or perhaps I felt that this imposed dichotomy would be the first of many unavoidable divisions that would follow, countless excruciating separations, the loss of the ideal of a perfect unity, of the childhood Heaven where milk and orange juice can be happily combined and metabolized into an infinite stream of warm energy – instead of turning into a disgusting stream of yellow-ish liquid sh*t.

"I looked for a new girlfriend that is as close to my ex girlfriend as possible. I settled for the girl at my local bar but she didn't convince me!"
    Well, was she more into speed and size, size and quality, or speed and quality ?
    Quote Quote