VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Delux package years ago and converted bunch of VHS videos to DVD.

I now have some videos of my kids. I am trying to convert to DVDs, but I am having some issues with the following topics. I would appreciate any help on these issues:

1- The videos I am about to convert to DVDs are about 2hrs. However, when I convert them to DVDs at any quality levels, I could not get all 2hrs of video in 4GB DVDs! The maximum for DVDs is about 1 hr 9 min at best quality to 1 ht 13 min at lowest quality. Any suggestions?

2- When I finish burning the edited videos to the DVD, I am not able to remove or delete the last converted video from the "Clip Panel". It says: "Can't delete 'xxxx.mpg'. It is currently being used in the Edit mode or the Burn mode." How do I remove the already burned and copied DVDs from the clip panel?

Thanks a bunch.
    Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about point 2, I don't use the software. But for point 1, lower the bitrate.
    size = bitrate x running time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual (Page 69) states that the maximum for a single-layer disk is 2 hr 13 mins. Not 1 hr 13 mins.

If you want more than that you select 'Long DVD (Single Layer)'

Seems that this program hides the actual bitrate. That 2hr selection is probably 4000 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want a watchable video from your noisy, shaky, jerky, interlaced home camcorder video don't put more than an hour or so on a single layer DVD. The video bitrate should be 8000+ kpbs.

Commercial movie DVDs will usually use a dual layer disc for a 2 hour long movie.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Esin View Post
    I bought Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Delux
    Real crapware. Howcum people keep buying this junk?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by Esin View Post
    I bought Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Delux
    Real crapware. Howcum people keep buying this junk?
    Because Jo Public does not know better. He relies on the 'box' to produce the result.

If one was totally honest, unless you had a full grounding in analog to digital transfer, you would also be in a similar situation. You start with the 'off the shelf' sw and learn from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestech is rebadged Easycap (Easycrap) last I saw.
    Results will always be low quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote