VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good morning

I dug my old DV camera out of the loft today, and was surprised it still works, my camera is a Panasonic NV-DA1, it uses digital video tapes

I want to download the tapes to my PC (I have Win7 and Win 10 ) I don't have a MAC or any apple device, apart from my phone

I connect my camera to my PC, but it comes up with USB device not recognised

I only have usb sockets on my PC's

I am using the socket at the front of my camera, I think its a firewire socket with a usb plug at the end

I don't know if there are any plugs or cables I can get to connect the camera to my PC's

Can anyone help or give me any advice ?

I have tried to upload pictures of the camera, the cable I am using and the socket/plug on my camera to how what I am up against
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	49799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	49800  

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	49801  

Last edited by Pepsi666; 15th Aug 2019 at 04:12. Reason: additional info
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the camcorder supports USB it is only for low res video or still pictures. You won't get full DV resolution video. You need a firewire card for your PC. Be sure to get one with a Texas Instruments (TI) chip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently it doesn't support the USB port

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	49802
    I think I have a firewire port on there, not like the one in my photo, but a one like this (the port on the lower left, think there might be 2 of them)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Those are Displayports (for connecting monitors). Note the logo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These two, I think are the right plugs
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  6. Look at the logos -- a P inside a D. Those are Displayports.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what they are supposed to me, I haven't got any plugs like that to connect a monitor
    Quote Quote  
  8. They are clearly labeled with the Displayport logo. Your computer (like most these days) can be connected to two or three monitors. You're probably only using one. Those ports have nothing to do with Firewire.

https://www.electronicshub.org/types-of-computer-ports/#Display_Port
    http://from8to5.blogspot.com/2008/11/usb-and-firewire-pinout.html

Displayport has a diagonal bevel on one corner. Firewire has bevels on two corners.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I have to ask this, why would I need 2 or 3 monitors on one PC ?

I have just looked at the ports on my Win10 pc, I have this one, what is this ?
    What kind of plug would I need to connect my camera to this port ?

This any good ?

Firewire 400 IEEE1394 6 Pin to 4 Pin Male Cable
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	49804  

Last edited by Pepsi666; 15th Aug 2019 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Many people us multiple monitors. Sometimes one is connected to a big screen TV for watching movies. Stock traders like to have several monitors to watch more stocks. Developers like to have one monitor to run the Develpement software, another to run the program they're building/debugging. Sometimes just to have more Desktop space (more programs running and visible at once).

Even if you only use one monitor several types of connectors have been used over the years: VGA (oldest), DVI, HDMI, Displayport (newest).

That's an HDMI port on the other computer. Another monitor port. You cannot connect your firewire camcorder to that.

Firewire ports were never common on Windows PCs. And they have pretty much disappeared from them in the last 10+ years.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don’t work for any of those organisations, so only use the one monitor

I connect my tv and pc by they blue plug and a hdmi to my sky box, it works fine

So the socket on my pc in the picture is just out, not in ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Displayport: for monitors
    looks like this - Image
    [Attachment 49805 - Click to enlarge]

(there is a mini-size, but I didn't show it in this photo)

HDMI: for monitors, TVs, projectors, amps, etc.
    looks like this - Image
    [Attachment 49806 - Click to enlarge]

(computer would almost ALWAYS have the full size)

Firewire: for cameras/camcorders, and older pro-audio equipment, also for harddrives/storage
    looks like this - Image
    [Attachment 49807 - Click to enlarge]

(computer usually has full size 6pin, but some, including laptops, have the mini 4pin version, almost ALL cameras that use it have the mini 4pin. they ARE compatible - the extra 2 pins are supposed to be for distributing power)

Again, you need to get an add-on Firewire card. Easy to find, used or new. Just make sure it has TxInstruments chipset, as mentioned.

note: the "M" in the pictures is Male end.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you got a picture of this Texas instruments thing?

I’ve had a browse and don’t know what I am looking for (or even where it would go)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're looking for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PEX30016-Firewire-XIO2213B-Requires/dp/B006DQ0KD2/ref=l...5908563&sr=1-6
    Note: you'd need LEGACY drivers if you are currently on Win10 (this may be true of any current model FW card you get). We can help you with those drivers, I'd think. Win7 should be ok as is (though you may want to find XP or Vista era drivers to be sure - I've heard recent stories of compatibility issues).

You, of course, would also need an open PCI-e card slot on your (desktop) computer to put the card into. Without that, you may be SOL when it comes to firewire (unless you consider replacement pc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. You have to figure out what type of slots are available in your PC, if any. Probably PCIe if it's less than 5 years old:

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PEX30016-Firewire-XIO2213B-Requires/dp/B006DQ0KD2/
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it might just be easier to take a trip down to a shop and let them do the copying of the tapes

4 tapes with about 30 minutes on each

Sort out the stuff another time or take it to a PC shop and let them do it, so if it goes wrong I can blame them
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Pepsi666 View Post
    I think it might just be easier to take a trip down to a shop and let them do the copying of the tapes

4 tapes with about 30 minutes on each
    For four tapes, definitely. Make sure they capture via firewire and deliver DV in .AVI (best for Windows) or .MOV (best for Mac). That gets you an exact copy of what's on the tape. If they capture with an analog capture device you will get lesser quality.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just want them as an MPEG, then I can edit them, put titles, dates on them, it will be for windows

I don’t have a MAC
    Quote Quote  
  19. No, you want them as DV AVI. That is an exact copy of the digital data on the tape. It's higher quality than converting to MPEG and more easily edited (and without further degradation). Once you're done editing you can convert to MPEG if necessary (for DVD, for example).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now downloaded them, thanks to everyone that posted a reply

Heathrow now want them for their archives but in a DVD format

Any suggestions as to how to write these to a DVD ?

I think they are just using a cheap, home DVD player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pepsi666 are you also derrick241 on another forum? if so the answer you got there is a good one. avstodvd works well.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, is there someone else trying to make dvds?
    I am trying to make 20 year old videos into a dvd
    Personally I would be happy with MPEGS but Heathrow can’t use them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try avstodvd is a decent avi to dvd converter.

but i'd bet the house this is you on another forum.
    [Attachment 50222 - Click to enlarge]

Raking around in my loft the other day I found my old video camera, it still works the batteries are still good, found 2 video tapes with stuff on from 1999 (Panasonic NV-DA1 video Camera)

I did what I did when I had my XP PC, plugged the lead into the front of the camera, then into a USB port, set the camera to play, (I have to plug the camera into the charger, then the camera, the plugs aren't accessible when the battery is on)

The PC tried to update the drivers, but failed, so the PC cant see the camera (It is playing the footage on the camera)

I tried to plug it into the TV, using the video lead ad red and white sound leads, it worked I could see and hear the video

I tried again on the PC, but cant use the S video lead or the red and white plugs, they aren't on the PC, there is a small plug on the front of the camera, (I think its called a firewire) then there is a USB plug on the end of that

I just want to copy the tapes to my PC (in any format)

I know PC's have moved on since Win 95 and XP, but the USB plugs are the same on my Win 7 and Win 10 PC's

Anyone any have any suggestions on what I can do next ?

What other leads do I need to buy ? (if any )

I have uploaded pictures of my camera, sockets, and the leads

Attachments
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote