VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm trying to convert old 8mm tapes using the Sony handycam Video8 connected to Video Capture then connected to my PC I can get the video on the PC but there is no no sound.
    Can someone please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you run an audio cable from the camcorder to the capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are you using to connect the camera to the video capture device? Is the video connected with an RCA (round, usually yellow) connector, with a single pin in the center, or are you using the better S-Video connector which has about six pins? With either type of video connector, you also need to connect the audio outputs from your VCR to your capture device. That is usually two round connectors (usually red and white or red and black). Audio is not carried by either the of the video connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  4. On a camcorder the audio is usually on a 3 pin 3.5mm plug. You will probably need a 3.5mm to RCA adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8KO2/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Sony Handycam and the AV output is very much like the cable jagabo linked to. Just one socket and cable is split between audio and video.

But just a thought. If the cable is not the original could it be that it is not picking up the audio ? The cable I have has video and two audio - red and white - (not sure if both are active)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the messages, The Sony Handycam has two leads RCA ( one yellow (video) and one black (audio). So I connected the yellow to yellow and the black to the white and then tried the red but still no sound. I have sound when the handycam is attached to the tv.
    Last edited by Billymax; 15th Aug 2019 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well that confirms that the cable is ok.

What capture device and software are you using ? You might have to check the settings on the software for audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing to check is 'Sound' in the Control Panel (or whatever Win10 calls it) and check that you device is properly set in the Recording tab.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Billymax View Post
    Thanks for all the messages, The Sony Handycam has two leads RCA ( one yellow (video) and one black (audio). So I connected the yellow to yellow and the black to the white and then tried the red but still no sound. I have sound when the handycam is attached to the tv.
    Try connecting the black audio cable to the red (right) input on the capture device. Make sure the capture software is set to take audio from the capture device, not the microphone or line-in on your sound card.

Once you have audio working I recommend you get a Y adapter for the audio so you can route the mono audio from the camcorder to both the left (white) and right (red) inputs on the capture device.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Audio-Female-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B016FCTD3G/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What specifically do you mean when you say "Video Capture"? Is that a branded device? If so, what is the company & model#. If you get pix & sound going from Cam to the TV, there isn't a problem with the cam nor with the cabling. My bet is on the capture device. Details, please.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again everyone. Success, as DB83 suggested I went into sound on my PC, then Manage audio devices then the recordings tab, clicked on Line then clicked on the Listen tab then checked the Listen to this device box clicked apply and it worked I have sound now with the video. Thank you all so much
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pleased to read that it is working for you now (I do get it right now and again )

Do also consider the advice given by jagabo about splitting the audio to both right and left channels. You may well find sound only coming out of one a little distracting.
    Quote Quote