VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. That is certainly something to consider except for the fact that I want to apply Avisynth filters to it. So even if I get Vegas and mask these parts, how can I go about completing my task?

So for example, I would want to apply McTemporalDenoise at strong settings to the hair and face, while perfectly masking the lines and the dark background (since McTemporalDenoise is terrible with dark scenes and figures). Then on the second pass, I'd use smdegrain() to degrain the entire clip, but with the focus on the dark backgrounds and figures.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have tried line masking, but that doesn't cover dark figures and backgrounds. Mt_binarize does that, but it doesn't mask the lines as accurately. I wish there was some way to merge the two (mt_edge and mt_binarize) and create a mask that can complete both tasks, masking lines AND dark backgrounds/figures.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    That is certainly something to consider except for the fact that I want to apply Avisynth filters to it. So even if I get Vegas and mask these parts, how can I go about completing my task?

So for example, I would want to apply McTemporalDenoise at strong settings to the hair and face, while perfectly masking the lines and the dark background (since McTemporalDenoise is terrible with dark scenes and figures). Then on the second pass, I'd use smdegrain() to degrain the entire clip, but with the focus on the dark backgrounds and figures.
    If you are using other programs to generate masks, you export the masks from the other program to use in avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    I have tried line masking, but that doesn't cover dark figures and backgrounds. Mt_binarize does that, but it doesn't mask the lines as accurately. I wish there was some way to merge the two (mt_edge and mt_binarize) and create a mask that can complete both tasks, masking lines AND dark backgrounds/figures.
    Use a line mask for lines, luma mask for dark areas .

You can add masks , subtract masks, combine masks . Look at the masktools operators
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh I didn't know I could do that (mask it with one program, and proceed with Avisynth). I was under the impression that Avisynth would not recognize the mask, since it wasn't created using Avisynth to begin with. Interesting. Well, it's back to the old drawing board for me. I'll keep you posted. Thanks PDR and JohnMeyer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Holy moly, Vegas is 400 bucks! I want to restore my cartoons, but not THAT bad!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    That is certainly something to consider except for the fact that I want to apply Avisynth filters to it. So even if I get Vegas and mask these parts, how can I go about completing my task?
    I do this all the time. I do something in Vegas and then use the free frameserver (from Debugmode.com) to serve into AVISynth. If you want to pass AVISynth the mask, then in Vegas replace the section that is masked with pure black. Even in animation, nothing is pure black. Then, in AVISynth you just look for pure black, which is a trivial operation, and do whatever you want.

Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    Holy moly, Vegas is 400 bucks! I want to restore my cartoons, but not THAT bad!!
    Vegas Pro is indeed expensive, but Vegas Movie Studio is less than $50, and it has the Secondary Color Corrector, as I stated in my last post. What's more, you can get it for next to nothing if you order a version that is one or two versions out of date. I still do 98% of my editing on versions (I have four different Vegas installation) that are almost ten years old. You really don't need the latest version, at all. I did zero research, and here is one listing that for the previous version (14) for $19:

https://www.amazon.com/VEGAS-Movie-Studio-14-Platinum/dp/B01NBYOMJD/

If you are willing to deal with eBay, here is an in-the-box version 13 (which is the latest version I own, and perfectly adequate for doing anything) for $6.50, shipped.
    Quote Quote  
  8. And I can use masking and rotoscoping with that $6.50 program?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Betelman View Post
    And I can use masking and rotoscoping with that $6.50 program?
    You can download the trial, for free, and find out for yourself.
    Quote Quote