VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using very serviceable Panasonic blu ray recording decks for a number of years (latterly the DMR-DW780 with dv-in, original cost $600) to archive my VHS and camcorder tape collection to disk. I'm becomeVERY quality conscious since I got a sweet Sony Bravia OLED 4K telly. I want to see the very utmost that can be gleaned from my tapes. Hence, would I see a difference (audio or video) were I now to use a $2000+ 'pro' deck such as the JVC SR-HD1340 to record to disk?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you upscaling these VHS tapes for Bluray or are they staying at 480i? Anyway the normal best way to record tapes is with a SVHS deck, an internal or external TBC, and then a capture card that records losslessly to a computer. If these are DV tapes you are transferring then you can get bit perfect transfers to your computer over firewire, which would be the best method for DV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. My Mac is useless at capturing video, even by Firewire and so I'm determined to do my transfers with hardware. My playback deck for VHS is a superb JVC D-VHS deck which turns out the best reproduction of VHS tapes I've ever seen. The transfers will remain 480i whichever recording format I use on the DVD/BD recorder, right? But I'm wondering whether the digital conversion circuitry inside a pro deck will noticeably improve on that of the Panny decks that I've used thus far. I'm really hoping to hear from somebody who's used one of the pro decks and can confirm whether they differ dramatically from consumer ones quality-wise?
    Quote Quote