VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am Using Intel core i5 (Maybe 4th Gen)

But I am not Happy with Encoding time, so i am planning to buy a new pc with high specifications like intel Core i9 But Nowdays Ryzen is Becaming Popular in Gaming PCs

Intel Core i9 9900K (Coffee Lake) = 8 Core 16 Threads

Ryzen 9 3900x = 12 Core 24 Threads

So I Need A Better Suggestion Which Should I Will Take and Why ?

My Encoding Software = MeGUI, Handbrake
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ryzen 9 3900x

Why? Cause it's faster than i9-9900K in x264 and x265. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/13.html

If you don't mind not having the "best" compression GPU encoding might also be a cheap and fast option. E.g. Nvidia GTX 1660.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Ryzen 9 3900x

Why? Cause it's faster than i9-9900K in x264 and x265. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/13.html

If you don't mind not having the "best" compression GPU encoding might also be a cheap and fast option. E.g. Nvidia GTX 1660.
    Thanks For Suggestion, and will you please tell me more about gpu encoding, is that have better Encoding quality than CPU Encoding in Low Bit rates ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Daringbaaz View Post
    is that have better Encoding quality than CPU Encoding in Low Bit rates ??
    CPU is going to be the best for low bitrate material. GPU encoding is for when speed is more important and bandwidth isn't an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    CPU is going to be the best for low bitrate material. GPU encoding is for when speed is more important and bandwidth isn't an issue.
    Thanks a Lot Bro, it Means That I Need to go With CPU encoding, it will take more time but quality will be better in Lower Bitrate,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Came across this for Intel Core i9 9900K vs Ryzen 9 3900x
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/13.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Daringbaaz View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Thanks a Lot Bro, it Means That I Need to go With CPU encoding, it will take more time but quality will be better in Lower Bitrate,
    It depends on how "low" is "lower bit rate"; I'm at work right now but when I get home I will post some samples of test encodes I have done with the NetFlix samples from Xiph Derf, using NVENC H264 and HEVC on a GTX1050 and x264/x265. Honestly, at the bit rates NetFlix uses for their 4k content you would have a hard time telling the difference between the hardware and software encodes.

I had also done a few tests using some other sources with the 2200g's onboard Vega VCE encoder, the results showed promise but I deleted the test files and plan on redoing them with the above referenced test files, so I can get a better idea of the relative quality of each.

I personally can not fathom spending $500 on a processor, $150-$200 on a motherboard, another $100-$200 on ram, plus a new power supply, and a video card and ssd, if needed, if I'm not making money from the system. that 3900x will be $400 in 6 months, hell, the 1920x can be found for $270, when it was $800 at launch; and we know that AMD is planning on releasing the Zen 3, with DDR5, PCIE5 and SMT4 in end of 2020, beginning of 2021, and I'm sure Intel is planning on releasing a 10 core processor soon, probably at the same price point as the 3900x, so I see no reason to buy a top of the line system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    It depends on how "low" is "lower bit rate"; I'm at work right now but when I get home I will post some samples of test encodes I have done with the NetFlix samples from Xiph Derf, using NVENC H264 and HEVC on a GTX1050 and x264/x265. Honestly, at the bit rates NetFlix uses for their 4k content you would have a hard time telling the difference between the hardware and software encodes.
    How about Twitches limit of 3,500Kbit @1080p (H.264).

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I personally can not fathom spending $500 on a processor, $150-$200 on a motherboard, another $100-$200 on ram, plus a new power supply, and a video card and ssd, if needed, if I'm not making money from the system. that 3900x will be $400 in 6 months, hell, the 1920x can be found for $270, when it was $800 at launch; and we know that AMD is planning on releasing the Zen 3, with DDR5, PCIE5 and SMT4 in end of 2020, beginning of 2021, and I'm sure Intel is planning on releasing a 10 core processor soon, probably at the same price point as the 3900x, so I see no reason to buy a top of the line system.
    The best time to upgrade a PC is always tomorrow. I fully support maybe going will a slightly older CPU to get a better value but this "always around the corner" stuff is never ending.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is absolutely no correlation between using a GPU and quality. Any difference between CPU and GPU in speed and/or quality depends on the software you use. The algorithms have to be re-written to run on a GPU, which is why quality is sometimes not identical. In theory, the quality should not vary at all, if the port to the GPU architecture was done correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Though the PC in my computer details (AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4Ghz 8 Core CPU) was built a few years ago, it's still quite fast,
    BD to MKV/AC3 using Vidcoder takes about 2Hrs. DVD to MKV/AC3 is about 15Mn encoding. I don't use GPU encoding.
    I would highly recommend a water cooler for any high powered CPU.

Link to the Ryzen build.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384584-Ryzen-upgrade-with-X1700-CPU-DDR4-RAM-and-M...hlight=corsair
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Any difference between CPU and GPU in speed and/or quality depends on the software you use. The algorithms have to be re-written to run on a GPU, which is why quality is sometimes not identical. In theory, the quality should not vary at all, if the port to the GPU architecture was done correctly.
    x264 simply can't run on a GPU.

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    There is absolutely no correlation between using a GPU and quality.
    This would be incorrect if including such software only codecs like x264.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    4th Gen (Haswell) already has AVX2, the performance gain will come mainly from more cores

So I Need A Better Suggestion Which Should I Will Take and Why ?

My Encoding Software = MeGUI, Handbrake
    the 3900X is 34% faster in video encoding than the 9900K
    Last edited by Zero-11; 21st Aug 2019 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote