VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm seeking for a program that is displaying video bitrate / average video bitrate from any source (DVD, Blu-Ray, encoded in xvid, x264, x265 formats and etc) that I throw at it. Basically I need a program (with GUI will be good) that I throw at it a movie or encoded video file and the program gives me back in return information for that file, but more important - video bitrate.

Right now I'm using MediaInfo and I love it, but in half the times MediaInfo doesn't give me any video bitrate / average video bitrate. Simple example - I have Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets BluRay which is in VC-1. MediaInfo shows more of the information I need - video, audio streams, subtitles, but doesn't show any video bitrate...
    The same is in some video encoding cases when produced x264/x265 .mkv file has no proper video bitrate reading... MPC Home Cinema "MediaInfo" Tab is the same...

Other tested software:
    Bitrate Viewer 2.3 - Is good and analyses the video stream for it's average bitrate, but the program is unsupported and although it gives me much more video bitrate info than MediaInfo (it shows proper average video bitrate of files where MediaInfo fails to show any bitrate), it fails with some sources and does't analyze them at all - like the above case with Harry Potter's BluRay. It also fails with h265/HEVC video.

AVInaptic - Also unsupported and very old. The program has Full analysys/DRF Graph option and it works - properly reads average video bitrate of the VC-1 Harry Potter, but it has other problems and limitations.

Is there any program that will do all of the above (or just video bitrate) and do it right for all sources/codecs/containers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I could probably have a bash at it, how much?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just divide the video stream size by the running time. That's the definition of average bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In MediaInfo try setting "Debug"->"Full parsing".
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do not think that it's so simple. If it was, such programs would easily determinate video bitrate and not analyze the whole video stream. And if such programs fail then there is a reason. And one more interesting thing - When MediaIndo and other programs are not showing video bitrate, they are also missing video stream size from the information. So even If I understood correctly the math, I can not do it easily, because there is no video stream size information, nor audio stream size...

So how BluRay uploaders and video encoders/transcoders determine what is the actual average video bitrate? Uploaders often do not know that if the source is untouched. So there must be a software.

Notes under line:
    I'm trying to do the math just to check your words. First video is encoded by me. It's average video bitrate is 11111 kbps, x264 10bit. Whole file size is - 11.2GB, video stream size is 9.88GB, running time is 2h and 9min. How dividing 11.2 by 129min is 11111kbps?
    Second video is from internet. MediaInfo is not showing neither video bitrate nor stream size for both video and audio streams. File size is 486MB, running time is 24min and 4 sec. So how I see those and do the math? (Bitrate Viewer analyses the video slowly and shows the correct average bitrate that was given by the encoder himself - 2533kbps)
    This is a 50/50 chance when I'm using handbrake and choose RF factor (Constant quality) over average bitrate with 2 pass option. After that MediaInfo fails to determine average bitrate or stream size...

So is there a smart program with GUI that does it for me? Or at least Video Bitrate newer alternative that analyses the video and shows correct values?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sneaker, thanks.

But setting Debug => Full parsing does not change anything. I'm still unable to see the desired values...
    Quote Quote  
  7. First set Full parsing. Then reload the file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by zippergalio View Post
    Second video is from internet. MediaInfo is not showing neither video bitrate nor stream size for both video and audio streams. File size is 486MB, running time is 24min and 4 sec. So how I see those and do the math? (Bitrate Viewer analyses the video slowly and shows the correct average bitrate that was given by the encoder himself - 2533kbps)
    24m4s = 1444s
    1444s * 2533kbps = 3657652 kb
    3657652 kb / 8 = 457206.5 kB
    457206.5 kB / 1024 ~= 446 MB (assuming a factor of 1024. Sometimes 1000 is used. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte#Unit_multiples )

But like you said finding out the track size is basically the same problem as finding out the bitrate so you are back at square one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by zippergalio View Post
    I'm trying to do the math just to check your words. First video is encoded by me. It's average video bitrate is 11111 kbps, x264 10bit. Whole file size is - 11.2GB, video stream size is 9.88GB, running time is 2h and 9min. How dividing 11.2 by 129min is 11111kbps?
    Your units are wrong. If you want the birate in kbps you need to express the file size in kbits. If you want bitrate expressed "per second" you need to divide by the running time in seconds, not minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by zippergalio View Post
    OK you've not given exact seconds etc... but just to give you an idea: (11111 / 8) * (129 * 60) / 1024 ^ 2 = 10.25GB
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    First set Full parsing. Then reload the file.
    Thank you very much! That did it! But when set "Full parsing" I must not close MediaInfo, because closing the program resets that setting and I definitely must reload the file manually. Is there a way to force "Full parsing" by default when opening something?

Now I must test every source that I've had problems with to see if it is 100% working.
    Thank you again.

But if someone knows better alternative/program I'm all ears and eyes! I am interested in what other people use if they are not using MediaInfo?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't know if it is possible to make the GUI remember the setting. But you could use the CLI instead.
    Code:
    MediaInfo --ParseSpeed=1 --Inform="Video;%BitRate%" "[INPUT_FILE]"
    Quote Quote  
  13. ffprobe deliver frame size in bytes thus based on GOP organization and each picture size you can build very detailed info about file.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yeh I had a little mess around today using FFprobe. It worked well but testing/reading every frame is a slog, works, it's correct, but a little time consuming for a user.

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Yeh I had a little mess around today using FFprobe. It worked well but testing/reading every frame is a slog, works, it's correct, but a little time consuming for a user.

Well, i assume python or similar language can be used to deal with ffprobe more efficiently... quick search and outcome is perhaps not impressive but didn't dig too deep.
    https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/tools/plotframes
    https://github.com/epiclabs-io/hls-analyzer
    Quote Quote  
  16. What is this VidBIT4? Is it a standalone downloadable software or it is a part of other software? Where can I get it?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by zippergalio View Post
    What is this VidBIT4? Is it a standalone downloadable software or it is a part of other software? Where can I get it?
    Lol, thanks for the reply, vidBIT4 is nothing, like I said a couple of posts ago, it's just something I was messing with. You can't download it, I made it, it's not fit for release. It does work well, counts I,P,B frames, displays average bit rates as it goes along, then finally displays the total average bit rate.

I think it would need a graph and addition info. It's just a little bit slow using ffprobe, the way I am, reading every single frame. Accurate yes, speedy, no!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by zippergalio View Post
    MediaInfo is not showing neither video bitrate nor stream size for both video and audio streams.
    If you need just video size, just demux the file to raw video stream, it is pretty fast.
    Quote Quote