VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Update.
    I got a FireWire ExpressCard, most of the problems are gone, I can send DV video from Vegas to DV device and record analog VHS, but D-VHS deck (PAL) is not shown in PC as DV device, obviously, so I can't yet send DV to that, but I can get a device that will accept DV signal and output DV signal.

Now, back to PCM audio on D-VHS, I got an NTSC machine with FullHD capability, it works with DVHStool/CapDVHS. The question is if it's possible to get LPCM audio when digitising analog tapes and if it's possible to create TS file with LPCM audio to record D-VHS in HD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    D-VHS was never a DV device, It is a MPEG-2 SD/HD interlaced format, not even HDV. JVC used firewire because at the time, it was the only digital port that can send HD to a display device or another D-VHS recorder, When HDMI became available JVC used it in their last two sister models.

As far as computer connectivity goes, I believe only US and Japanese NTSC models have the capability to stream to computer.

When digitizing analog tapes, you get PCM audio according to D1 standard, not sure if it's linear PCM or not but it's a 16bit/24bit(pro devices), 48KHz audio, D-VHS doesn't use neither, it uses Dolby digital or DTS, Can stream PCM during playback of the tape after decoding it.

Recording D-VHS is a rabbit hole, we've discussed it here before, to get the full 25Mbps with Dolby digital or DTS (D-Theatre standard) you would need a special script that I talked about in one of my old threads, A Windows XP machine, and DVHSTool app. Note that we couldn't get DTS to work properly so I gave up on it.

Besides firewire, you can only record HD via component but you will be limited to 19Mbps, ATSC over the air standard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    D-VHS was never a DV device, It is a MPEG-2 SD/HD interlaced format, not even HDV. JVC used firewire because at the time, it was the only digital port that can send HD to a display device or another D-VHS recorder, When HDMI became available JVC used it in their last two sister models.

As far as computer connectivity goes, I believe only US and Japanese NTSC models have the capability to stream to computer.

When digitizing analog tapes, you get PCM audio according to D1 standard, not sure if it's linear PCM or not but it's a 16bit/24bit(pro devices), 48KHz audio, D-VHS doesn't use neither, it uses Dolby digital or DTS, Can stream PCM during playback of the tape after decoding it.
    I know, but PAL D-VHS has DV input, as in it only works for DV input from DV source, I can't play MPEG-TS there. But when connecting a DV VCR and outputting through FireWire the D-VHS sees this signal.

Either CapDVHS, or DVHStool gives me maximum 256 kbps audio when capturing analog, unless there are some settings I need to alter, I wonder if ffmpeg could capture the video with LPCM audio.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Recording D-VHS is a rabbit hole, we've discussed it here before, to get the full 25Mbps with Dolby digital or DTS (D-Theatre standard) you would need a special script that I talked about in one of my old threads, A Windows XP machine, and DVHSTool app. Note that we couldn't get DTS to work properly so I gave up on it.

Besides firewire, you can only record HD via component but you will be limited to 19Mbps, ATSC over the air standard.
    Actually, I was able to record D-VHS both SD and HD on Windows 10. Vegas can even render D-VHS compliant file, though with few modifications of the preset. DTS is not needed to me, but I wonder what are the audio options in terms of LPCM, AC3 and AC3 surround.

I found some other thread where the OP was testing the limits of bitrate to see where the threshold is where the video starts exhibiting problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SF01 View Post
    I found some other thread where the OP was testing the limits of bitrate to see where the threshold is where the video starts exhibiting problems.
    That has to be me, that's the thread I was talking about, and the guy who was working with me cooking the files is the guy who worked on the firewire board of D-VHS for JVC back then.

As of your query, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve, so I can't help any further.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by SF01 View Post
    That has to be me, that's the thread I was talking about, and the guy who was working with me cooking the files is the guy who worked on the firewire board of D-VHS for JVC back then.

As of your query, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve, so I can't help any further.
    That checks out. That's exactly what I remember reading there, many thanks. I downloaded the samples from there and they do have LPCM audio tracks according to MediaInfo, though the audio on that track is distorted, unless those files were from yet another thread.

For PAL D-VHS, I know what I need, which is basically a FireWire pass-through device.

Fot NTSC I would like to know:
    1. If there is a way to get LPCM audio when rippingthe tapes via FireWire. If not, then I guess 256kbps is fine.
    2. If there is w way to record the tape using LPCM audio. If not, I will just use the highest audio bitrate possible in Vegas render, since I will be releasing a film on limited edition D-VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote