VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread

Threaded View

  1. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    turkey
    Search PM
    Hi. there will be a question in question.

    i'm trying to detect-notice the quality of videos for a months. remember that, i just use 1080p videos. i use same cropped 20seconds scenes of a video. until now i couldn't find a difference between a 2gb web-dl and 4gb bluray. like this, there is'nt a difference between a 800mb web-dl and 3gb bluray. i found a 9gb bdremux and 2gb web-dl of a video. i think the source video was very bad because even the bdremux was terrible too. anyway, i didn't touch 2gb, encoded the 9gb to 4gb. i cropped the same scenes from 3 videos and watched at an ultrahd led tv. again i couldn't notice any difference. so why are all these gigabytes, bitrates etc for?

    at the moment, i have a 300 episodes tv Show. each episodes are about 4-6gb (25fps) and 1,5tb at total. videos are *.ts. i want to convert them to mp4 or mkv, with a little bit lovering the sizes. for the first episode which is 6gb, i used 3 programmes. handbrake encoded it to 2.2gb mp4, i didn't set a bitrate. avidemux made a 2gb, 50fps mkv. and cyberlink power director... i used 3 different bitrates, 3 videos. 4gb, 4,7gb, 5gb. now i have 5 different videos with different sizes, bitrates, and one with a different fps. when i compare them with the source video, there is just a very very little quality lose than can barely be understand, i mean if you don't care the cell at the skin... and when i compare the 5 videos with each other, again could't find a difference. and again why are all these gigabytes, bitrates etc for?

    i'm so confused and shilly-shallying. which program do you prefer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    There are two main reasons why a video on a Blu-ray is much larger than a conveniently compressed copy for HTPC playback (let's not mention downloading pirated copies via internet...):

    a) The Blu-ray specifications do not allow optimal compression. They have restrictions to support quick decoding, skipping, and fast forward/rewind on a slowly positioning optical disk with limited memory. Playback on a PC with plenty RAM and a fast harddisk is so much easier even when the video is tightly compressed.

    b) Blu-ray video uses quite generous bitrates to impress not only the casual viewer, but also the the picky video enthusiast. If you don't notice any difference, guess which group you might belong to...
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you didn't notice is that all the high frequency, low contrast detail (film grain, light wood grain, fuzzy sweaters, small wrinkles on actors' faces, etc.) has disappeared in your highly compressed videos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    turkey
    Search PM
    @LigH.de you are sooo much far away from my questions thats why, for not to affect other peoples possible logical answers, i won't explain the situation and your fault and wait others to read just the topic instead of a long discussion page. thanks my friend.

    @jagabo offcourse i notice a very small difference that can barely be noticed "....there is just a very very little quality lose than can barely be understand, i mean if you don't care the cell at the skin..." but the thing is... the difference between 2gb web-dl 1080p and 4gb bluray 1080p, i mean +2gb data musn't be just for the light wood grain, fuzzy sweaters. moreover a fuzzy sweater can be noticed between 1080p and 720p easyly but there wasn't any difference between the videos i wrote at my question.
    Last edited by cokzor; 6th Aug 2019 at 09:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    turkey
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6gb.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	49746Click image for larger version

Name:	3gb.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	49747

    lets look at this. one is from 3gb, other is 6gb
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    Difference is present and IMHO quite obvious however - hairs on head are very obvious area - bitrate is hidden in small noise-like details - lower bitrate mean less details.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Firstly, there are visible difference between those two images. Secondly, why are you using such low quality JPEG images if you're trying to compare quality?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    i just use 1080p videos. i use same cropped 20seconds scenes of a video. until now i couldn't find a difference between a 2gb web-dl and 4gb bluray. like this, there is'nt a difference between a 800mb web-dl and 3gb bluray. i found a 9gb bdremux and 2gb web-dl of a video. i think the source video was very bad because even the bdremux was terrible too. anyway, i didn't touch 2gb, encoded the 9gb to 4gb. i cropped the same scenes from 3 videos and watched at an ultrahd led tv. again i couldn't notice any difference.
    All this is extremely subjective and of no logical/scientific use.

    Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    i'm so confused and shilly-shallying. which program do you prefer?
    Isn't the real question... "What program do YOU prefer?"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    i just use 1080p videos. i use same cropped 20seconds scenes of a video. until now i couldn't find a difference between a 2gb web-dl and 4gb bluray. like this, there is'nt a difference between a 800mb web-dl and 3gb bluray. i found a 9gb bdremux and 2gb web-dl of a video. i think the source video was very bad because even the bdremux was terrible too. anyway, i didn't touch 2gb, encoded the 9gb to 4gb. i cropped the same scenes from 3 videos and watched at an ultrahd led tv. again i couldn't notice any difference.
    All this is extremely subjective and of no logical/scientific use.

    Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    i'm so confused and shilly-shallying. which program do you prefer?
    Isn't the real question... "What program do YOU prefer?"
    +1

    Visual quality is subjective. Just because you can't see a difference doesn't mean it's not there. A copy of the Mona Lisa may look the same to you, but an art lover will easily spot the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    turkey
    Search PM
    @lingyi the most relevant answer for quality is yours. may be i don't focus enough to realize the difference because of my size possession. may be this is just about our interests or psychology. thanks for unlocking something in my brain.

    @jagaba i'm comparing to my self at an ultrahd led tv. unfortunately i'm not good at forums and my threads are not more than 50 since 20 years at internet for hundreds of movie, torrent, adult etc sites. i really don't know which is the best format or way to show the issue that i've sticked.

    now, considering my situation about "not noticing" the difference at quality, could you please suggest me a program to increase the size of my tv show. i don't want a 6gb episode to became 2gb. but as you can see i can't decide the quality. is 4gb enough or 5 gb? or won't be a difference between increasing to 4gb or 5gb?

    edit: pardon me, @video.baba? what did you say?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well first, try not to worry about size too much. You seem to be very happy so far with the quality, that's a good thing, enjoy it.
    Let's take Handbrake for example, I use Handbrake from your above example as I'm a lot more savvy with it than the other programs you mentioned.
    You had a file that was about 6Gb which produced a 2.2Gb mp4, sounds fine to me. However, it seems you would be a little happier if it wasn't so 'small'?

    Can I suggest....

    Try at least 2 or 3 more of your *.ts files with Handbrake using the same settings as you did originally. You see, you will most probably find the other files will have different final sizes. You may have one come out at 4Gb, or even 1.5Gb, it all depends on source content.

    So try a few, see how it turns out, post back any observations/concerns, with settings used, and we can suggest some settings to change if required.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    turkey
    Search PM
    finally i'm able to notice some differences sometimes. not rare at back plans or at details but often beard of a man or crepey of an old person at a close-up face scene. though handbrake is better with it's quality and video optimise settings and a trustable known program, i choosed cyberlink just because able to see the size of output file befor operation. now, i encode two differnt size and prefer one of them. hanks for all.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    though handbrake is better with it's quality and video optimise settings and a trustable known program, i choosed cyberlink just because able to see the size of output file befor operation.
    If you want a specific size in Handbrake use bitrate mode. Because the definition of bitrate is

    Code:
    bitrate = stream size / running time.
    So for a given running time the size of the video (not including the audio and a little overhead for the container) is proportional to the bitrate. For example, if a 1000 kbps encoding of a video gives you 1 GB then a 2000 kbps encoding will give you 2 GB, a 3000 kbps encoding will give you 3 GB, etc.

    Originally Posted by cokzor View Post
    now, i encode two differnt size and prefer one of them. hanks for all.
    Or just learn what RF is acceptable to you and encode all your videos at that RF. Then every video will have exactly the right bitrate to deliver the quality you want.
    Quote Quote  
  14. So what are your current settings using HandBrake? Which Preset/amendments?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads