VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For about a week my desktop would reboot on its own when using any usb 3.0 hdd. When no usb 3.0 are connected the desktop would be normal as in no random reboots. Now last night it took a huge turn the computer now i cannot see nothing on my monitor. This a brand new montherboad was put in earlier this year. I do see my ethernet still work. And other stuff like hard drives or my cpu cooler. Is my computer dead again? All my lights power on just fine. I removed cmos battery. I disconnected everything else but the main hard drive in it. Any advice would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a PSU issue. Did you replace your PSU when you put in the new motherboard? Unless your power supply is only a year or two old, it's good practice to install a new (preferably higher power) PSU when you change the motherboard. Power supplies lose output capacity as they age and while they may have been fine when new, isn't providing enough power, especially for newer motherboards which demand more power.

When you took out the CMOS battery, did you unplug the computer? The battery kicks in only when complete loss of power happens.

When testing, take out not only the HDD, but RAM also. Unless your motherboard is completely dead, you should receive some warning beeps and possibly get to a boot screen. If it beeps, put back the RAM and try again without the HDD, which could be the cause of the boot hang because it's gone bad or not getting enough power to properly boot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    it's a known windows 10 issue where you get a black screen on boot up,i had for a while until i got some updates,try doing updates,you will need to reboot a few times to get back to a windows screen.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    llyngi Yes psu is brand new i bought it like 4 months ago. I used it to test the desktop before it was rebuilt the new motherboard is using the new psu not the one that first came wih my desktop 4 years ago. I took the cmos out when the computer was off and unplugged. I took one of my rams out. And still black screen. PSU is 600w That should be enough as its a upgrade from old one All i run is 3 burners 3 hard drivers a two fans one is in front case and one is the one is connected to my cpu cooler.

Johns0 I left it unplugged all night no luck i tried a vga cable on my geforce card using hdmi. Is it possible for usb 3.0 ports to kill a motherboard? I read online its possible. Do you know why my usb 3 ports will do that? My computer does not reboot with usb 2.0 stuff connected like apc usb 2.0 cord or my mouse. I can't figure out why 3.0 would do this now or ever. When i first got the pc back everything was fine no issues with usb 3 ports then out of the blue a week ago pc rebooted on its own whenever i used my hard drive enclosure witch is 3.0. I have two one is connected directly to the back of the pc and the usb 3.0 hub is connected to the pc but the other hard drive enclosure is connected to the hub. Ill try the reboot with 10 again like you said but i see nothing on in the back but the fan lan aint anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Take all confounding variables out of the process, test, then only add them back one by one to see how each affects things.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try doing a safe mode login.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when you took out the battery did you also clear the CMOS? there is a jumper you need to short after removing the battery on most motherboards. or if you can get into the bios setup screen choose reset to factory settings. hold down f2 or delete while powering on the computer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Newbie Enthusiast PixelHunter's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds like a power saving issue. Plug in your usb after booting up and go to Control Panel. (in Widows 10, File Manager> Control Panel) select Device Manager/Univeral Serial Bus controllers, right click and select 'Properties'. double click on all the entries, select 'power management' and deselect, un-tick the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

That should work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Wizard23

Your posts are confusing. What exactly is happening? Is the PC booting to Windows or is it just a black screen, no boot? If you can get to the POST screen, check every menu to see if there's a error, especially RAM, which if it shows less than it should be.

Are there any beeps at all when you boot without the RAM? It should give you beeps as an error code. The number of beeps indicating a No RAM error. Since you've taken everything else out, the only other think I can think would cause a MB to not boot would be a bad CPU. Remove and reseat the CPU. Warning. Though you don't have to to, it's best to replace the heatsink grease to ensure proper cooling.

Is your CPU fan (sssuming it's connected to your MB) spinning? If not, it's likely your MB is dead.

Yes, a bad USB device can kill a motherboard through a short on the USB interface, either on the drive or the motherboard. It could also be bad grounding or electrical spikes or surges. If possible, connect your PC through a UPS or a powerline conditioner. A plain surge protector is better than nothing, but not by much. I've see a spark fly between the drive and the USB port before.

You said you had to replace the motherboard. What caused it to fail?

Try booting to with a live Linux distro on a flash drive. Insert it into a USB port that you haven't used for your hard drive on.

Remove and reseat the power connectors to your MB and make sure you power connectors match those on your board. Just because the LEDs are on, doesn't mean all the components are getting enough/proper power.
    Last edited by lingyi; 4th Aug 2019 at 22:10.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heres whats going on as soon as i turn on my pc there is nothing showing up. ow when i do turn on my computer i get no signal on the screen thats what happening. Just the monitor brand new nothing on my pc. Ok after over 24hrs resting unpugged i finally got it to boot up after so many reboots but now my pc will not boot back up again no black screen. I did small test as in capturing and a small usb 3.0 hdd running no restarts on its own. Now my pc cpu is 4yrs old its fine i tested it. Y cpu can only take certain motherboards brands its old. When i get it to turn on the stuff will run like cpu fan etc but lan will active till im completely in windows 10.

I did take one ram out to test as the ram seemed fine when i was in windows 10. Now when i do turn on my computer i get no singal on the screen thats what happening. I do have a brand new motherboard that my computer first had until it died. I ordered another geforce 710 2gb to test if that is the really the issue. I have a 710 in my computer its 1gb. I don't have the money to buy a very high end graphics card or really update the whole pc to something better.

I know the 710 is a cheap card it did a great job. i get no signal off the card connected to my tv as a test. No the usb 3.0 spikes i was speaking about happened on the back of my computer. Now the tv test was tested when desktop was running. I always keep my desktop connected to my apc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a motherboard issue,i had the same issues with an asrock mb,it would boot up and when shutting down it wouldn't start up again but it did after a few tries and after that it wouldn't boot at all anymore so i ordered an asus mb and after i put it together it booted up right away and has been working for the last year.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    Heres whats going on as soon as i turn on my pc there is nothing showing up. ow when i do turn on my computer i get no signal on the screen thats what happening. Just the monitor brand new nothing on my pc. Ok after over 24hrs resting unpugged i finally got it to boot up after so many reboots but now my pc will not boot back up again no black screen. I did small test as in capturing and a small usb 3.0 hdd running no restarts on its own. Now my pc cpu is 4yrs old its fine i tested it. Y cpu can only take certain motherboards brands its old. When i get it to turn on the stuff will run like cpu fan etc but lan will active till im completely in windows 10.

I did take one ram out to test as the ram seemed fine when i was in windows 10. Now when i do turn on my computer i get no singal on the screen thats what happening. I do have a brand new motherboard that my computer first had until it died. I ordered another geforce 710 2gb to test if that is the really the issue. I have a 710 in my computer its 1gb. I don't have the money to buy a very high end graphics card or really update the whole pc to something better.

I know the 710 is a cheap card it did a great job. i get no signal off the card connected to my tv as a test. No the usb 3.0 spikes i was speaking about happened on the back of my computer. Now the tv test was tested when desktop was running. I always keep my desktop connected to my apc.
    is the computer a prebuilt computer or one that you built yourself ??
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post

Unlikely the video card if it takes multiple tries to get it to boot. Do you see anything on the screen or it completely black until you see the Windows start up screen?

Have you tried all the things I listed above. Especially removing ALL the RAM, resetting the power connectors and booting to Linux?

Also, post what type of computer your have, prebuilt or custom as october262 asked. In either case, list all the components, MB, PSU, video card (manufacturer and exact model). Someone may know something about them. Have you checked your manual to see if you need to move/remove a jumper to reset the CMOS as aedipuss stated?

PC troubleshooting, especially remotely is a elimination process, eliminate the obvious first, then work to what is least likely. You need to give a step by step process of what you're doing and answer whether you've tried what's been suggested.

Also, other than l allowing the CMOS to to clear, which should happen immediately once you've removed the battery and power, whether it 10 minutes or 10 days, letting the PC sit unplugged does nothing other than possibly getting clean power from your outlet on that particular day.

If your next post doesn't give the details I've asked for, I'm out and wish you luck!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I havent reseted the jumper for the cmos since i took it out. The computer was built by ibuypower 4 years ago and for motherboard replacement was built buy a guy not far from where i live.

amd CPU FX 8350 liquid cooler by amd i believe. Ram i dont remember the brand i haven't reopened my pc just yet. Grapahics nividia geforce 710 1gb ssd hard drive windows 10, psu

Thermaltake Smart White RGB 600W 80+ White 12V ATX Computer Desktop PC Power Supply

When i turn it on i can feel the fans running both cpu cooler is running And other stuff is running to but whenever i turn on the pc i get just a black screen then it saids no signal. I may just go with johns0 and re put in a new motherbuild. I can do it myself this time. But ill try the other advices first
    Quote Quote  
  15. Try disconnecting the monitor from the PC AND unplugging it from the mains. Press and hold down the power button on the monitor for 5 - 10 seconds while it's disconnected. Reconnect and try booting PC. Had this on a client's PC earlier in the year after a Windows 10 update . . . ? Good luck!

If still no joy, are you using on-board graphics or a separate graphics card in a PCI-E slot? If the latter then make sure that it's still properly seated in its slot. (When the PC is off.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to add my motherboard brand is gigabytes. Ill try that and to answer your question my motherboard does not have a onboard graphics so all i need to is pci-e card.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im not sure if anyone is still looking at my thread. Sorry for the delay i been rebuilding my computer after taking it apart the guy who did the repair before me did some much damage like to much paste on the cpu for the linquid cooler or no back plate on my case etc. But i do have one question before i put in my cpu after i cleaned off the cpu so much case some of the paste was under on the cpu bottom it got onto the motherboard cpu slot. Image
    [Attachment 49779 - Click to enlarge]
    I pasted a picture is that paste going to do any damage to my motherboard?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should create a new thread for this.

That said, since thermal paste is designed to conduct heat, it's not a good thing to have it there. Also, some pastes are electrically conductive, potentially leading to a short between the pins. Use an electrical contact cleaner (ideal) or 90%+ isopropyl alcohol (don't use regular rubbing alcohol as it may contain additives) and a fine natural hair paint brush (make sure to pull on it to remove loose hairs). Allow the socket to thoroughly dry a several minutes before installing the CPU.
    Quote Quote