VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello! This is my first post after trying to mess around with AVISynth and VirtualDub for a few months. I am trying to properly rip some DVD iso's of Archive of Evangelion. My process thus far is as follows: Mount ISO, use MakeMKV to make, well, MKVs of each disc, use VirtualDub to trim each MKV to just each specific episode, then export each episode as uncompressed AVIs. They're still interlaced and MakeMKV just takes the disc protection off and converts the title to a MKV. The title size is the same as MKVs so I don't think its an encode. Any help would be awesome as I am quite a noob when it comes to this but I am really looking forward to learn!
    Last edited by Fraugster; 3rd Aug 2019 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few points.

If those avi's really are uncompressed then it is an encode. In fact if you have exported as avi it is an encode.

Or are you confused about the export ?

Better to post a mediainfo (text mode) report of the final export so that we can be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fraugster View Post
    Hello! This is my first post after trying to mess around with AVISynth and VirtualDub for a few months. I am trying to properly rip some DVD iso's of Archive of Evangelion I found. My process thus far is as follows: Mount ISO, use MakeMKV to make, well, MKVs of each disc, use VirtualDub to trim each MKV to just each specific episode, then export each episode as uncompressed AVIs. They're still interlaced and MakeMKV just takes the disc protection off and converts the title to a MKV. The title size is the same as MKVs so I don't think its an encode. Any help would be awesome as I am quite a noob when it comes to this but I am really looking forward to learn!
    You're treading on some shaky ground with "I am trying to properly rip some DVD iso's of Archive of Evangelion I found." Forum rules: "Do NOT talk about warez releases Like filenames Movie.2012.DVDSCR.X264.AAC.P2P.mkv. Please don't download warez movie/tv releases." A mod may come along and close this thread. Be aware.

That said. You don't need to mount an .iso (which is already a rip of the disc) to use it in MakeMKV. Just open the .iso directly by choosing "All video files..." in MakeMKV.

Edit: Since it's an .iso, the copy protection has already been removed unless the person who ripped it chose to leave it which is an odd thing to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can't MakeMKV rip your discs as individual episodes?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not unless each episode is in its own .vob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=lingyi;2556528
    You're treading on some shaky ground with "I am trying to properly rip some DVD iso's of Archive of Evangelion I found.".........[/QUOTE]

Ooh. Warez !!!!!

Really must change the batteries in my notifier. Did not detect that one
    Quote Quote  
  7. The best way to deal with DVD is to decrypt them with DVD Fab free (or DVD Decrypter which still works with a lot of discs) then load the VOB files into DgIndex (mark-in and mark-out if necessary) then save an index file and demuxed audio. Use Mpeg2Source() in AviSynth to open the index file and perform whatever processing is required (IVTC, deinterlace, noise reduction, etc.). Then encode with whatever encoder you want, x264 CLI, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    A few points.

If those avi's really are uncompressed then it is an encode. In fact if you have exported as avi it is an encode.

Or are you confused about the export ?

Better to post a mediainfo (text mode) report of the final export so that we can be sure.
    Guess i'm still rusty on proper terminology lol. I was under the impression that a encode is anything but uncompressed. I'm more or less confused if what I did is the right way or not and if I messed something up doing it that way. What do I need to do to get you that mediainfo?

You're treading on some shaky ground with "I am trying to properly rip some DVD iso's of Archive of Evangelion I found." Forum rules: "Do NOT talk about warez releases Like filenames Movie.2012.DVDSCR.X264.AAC.P2P.mkv. Please don't download warez movie/tv releases." A mod may come along and close this thread. Be aware.
    Oof I'm sorry. If the collection wasn't $600 I would love to own it lol. Thank you for the warning, I hope I dont get myself into too much trouble.

The best way to deal with DVD is to decrypt them with DVD Fab free (or DVD Decrypter which still works with a lot of discs) then load the VOB files into DgIndex (mark-in and mark-out if necessary) then save an index file and demuxed audio. Use Mpeg2Source() in AviSynth to open the index file and perform whatever processing is required (IVTC, deinterlace, noise reduction, etc.). Then encode with whatever encoder you want, x264 CLI, for example.
    I'll try this as well!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo is a small program (just click on the link as you see in this or the earlier reply and download/install - right click on the exported file, select the program from the list, select 'text' from the view menu and drag/copy the report in to a reply here)

But cost is no excuse to using warez/torrents. Personally, would not have even replied in the manner I did had I realised earlier. So this ends my contribution to the thread.
    Quote Quote