VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Alright, I've got a MKV extracted from a BluRay using MakeMKV. It contains DTS audio. I'm feeding this to ffmpeg and trying to encode only a fraction of the track, however ffmpeg outputs "Output file is empty, nothing was encoded (check -ss / -t / -frames parameters if used)"

Track metadata:

Code:
    BPS-eng         : 1797639
    DURATION-eng    : 02:55:41.056000000
    NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 988224
    NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 2368627780
    SOURCE_ID-eng   : 001100
    _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: MakeMKV v1.14.4 win(x64-release)
     _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2019-07-30 11:08:48
     _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES SOURCE_ID
    The encoding command I use

Code:
    ffmpeg -ss 10:22.9 -to 13:25.8 -i ".\t10.mkv" -c:a pcm_s32le -f wav "S01E004.wav"
    Obviously the track is long enough for this, so what gives? I've tried seeking earlier in the track and everything works correctly up until the 8:41.110 mark where the audio cuts abruptly (at least when encoded, the original file has no problem that I can see, or hear)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like either your file or ffmpeg is broken. As a workaround try output seeking (-i -ss -to instead of -ss -to -i). I would try to re-rip the Blu-Ray, if possible using a different ripper like AnyDVD. If it still shows the same error I would try to cut a small sample around the 8:41.110 mark to send to the ffmpeg developers. What errors is ffmpeg showing? You left out its log. Which Blu-Ray is this? Maybe others with the same Blu-Ray can chime in.

That said I'm surprised input seeking would stumble across such a problem. AFAIK input seeking should seek directly to the part you want to cut and ignore anything before it, i.e. shouldn't break on 8:41.110 if your seek is at 10:22.9.
    Quote Quote  
  3. FFmpeg does not output any error when that happens, as if the track was simply that short. I've tried re-ripping the BluRay and the issue was gone (and the file was much shorter) I guess something must have gone wrong with MakeMKV that I failed to catch.
    Quote Quote