VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Image
    [Attachment 49682 - Click to enlarge]
    . I'm trying to process this video as a preservation. As you look at the picture, you can obviously see the artifact at the edge of the car and objects. I have no idea what are those. It's not that it's an interlaced video. This weird artifact existed when I recorded this video in the first place. What filter can fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's called dot crawl and it's caused by incomplete separation of the chroma carrier from the luma when capturing composite video. A 3D comb filter while capturing can remove it from still portions of the video. Advanced filtering techniques (AviSynth) can remove most of it. If you can work with an s-video capture chain you can avoid it all together.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I also have this problem when I deinterlace. It occasionally happens which I don't understand why. What deinterlacing is it best option for this? Image
    [Attachment 49910 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't resize before deinterlacing. If your interlaced video was resized before you got it -- about the best you can do is a blend deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's the result I get when I resize after deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    That's the result I get when I resize after deinterlacing
    Then the file must not have been properly de-interlaced.

Why don't you upload some of your source and the script you are using
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, the problem got solved as I added BlendBob(Video) after deinterlacing. It seems like not all interlaced videos can be deinterlaced properly using the same method. Some require extra step such as this. Not sure why though. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jseo13579 View Post
    That's the result I get when I resize after deinterlacing
    Then the source may be messed up and it cannot be deinterlaced properly. If that's the case blending the two fields together is your best bet. In VirtualDub use Deinterlace in Blend Fields mode. In AviSynth Blur(0.0, 1.0).Sharpen(0.0, 0.7). The vertical blur fully blends the two fields together. The vertical sharpen restores some of the sharpness lost by blurring.

As a quick verification, perform a simple Bob() with no other filtering. Do you see the same problem? The the source is the screwed up.

But yes, post a sample of your source for verification.
    Quote Quote