VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I am trying to restore with film9 some old 8mm from 70's. I got no error and image improves a lot, but the final result is that a sample 37 seconds of video results in a final project of 58seconds, a 10minutes in a 15 minutes, I have tried all the options i have seen and thought could solve the problem, but with no result, always in slow motion. I have w10 pro, film9 version 3.0, no errors or problems during intallation or restoration. The "speed" is set in 18fps as the original, I tried 16 and 24 and the same, slow motion. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might be better off asking in the main Film9 thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369010-FILM9-Restoration-software-for-old-films-%2...m%29-and-video

If there's a log or scripts used, you'd best post those as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thankyou, i already saw it, but as it has 11 pages, I think it won't be easy to see all the different problems people have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The point of any general thread is that you add to it and someone who has an interest in it could respond.

Just one thought. Silent film is indeed 18fps but are you sure that your capture from that film is indeed 18fps ? A 24 fps video re-encoded at 18fps could well slow down that video.

Run mediainfo on your original video to check.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hello, the original video, already converted into .VOB runs perfectly at normal speed, it happens once improved with film9. Later in the evening I' ll look at this you say.
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is s a vob then it is either 25fps or 29.97fps (or 24 fps to play back at one of these)

But 'original video' could mean something else.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know Film9, but with any film transfer you have to set the playback speed correctly. For 8mm and silent 16mm film that is usually 16 fps and for Super 8 film it is always 18 fps. Sound film is always 24 fps.

If you are going to place the result on a NTSC DVD, you have to add additional duplicate fields or frames in order to match the playback speed of 30 fps (29.97 fps is the actual speed).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I have already partially answered in the main FILM9 thread.
    And asked a question.
    It is important to know how the 8mm film was digitized.
    There are several methods and the result depends mainly on the capture mode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. answered in the main FILM9 thread, I appreciate very much the received help, thank you all.
    Quote Quote