VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Avidemux 2.7 - 64 bits, and I'm downsizing 4k MKVs, which average around 40BG in size, to 20GB.
    Right now, it takes around 15 hours if I use the "Video Size (Two Pass)" option and 8-to-10 hours if I ball-park it with "Constant Rate Factor (Single Pass)".
    Is there a way to speed the decoding process up, without loosing additional quality in the decoded end MKV?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by NightshadeNightshade View Post
    I'm downsizing 4k MKVs
    So that's a massive load of data.

Originally Posted by NightshadeNightshade View Post
    it takes around 15 hours if I use the "Video Size (Two Pass)
    I'm really curious as to why you would need to do that. Do you only have a specific amount of space on the output-drive for a video so you need to compromise quality for size?

I don't know the program you are using, however...
    You don't say what video codec you are encoding to... We can't read your mind!
    Do you have any filters or tunes set? Post-processing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use LAV Filters (GPU decoding) to decode video for Avisynth, but that comes with the baggage of having to use Avisynth. I'm not sure of any easy to use programs that have GPU decoding options. FFMPEG has GPU decoding support but I'm not entirely sure on all the commands but FFMPEG would be easier to get into than Avisyth. You should also mention what CPU and GPU you have.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Handbrake might have GPU ENcoding, which I think is what you want
    That would speed up your encodes
    You might be able to use VidCoder (preferred) as well

You will need a NVidia GPU
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure it's the decoding that's the bottleneck?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by NightshadeNightshade View Post
    I'm using Avidemux 2.7 - 64 bits, and I'm downsizing 4k MKVs, which average around 40BG in size, to 20GB.
    Right now, it takes around 15 hours if I use the "Video Size (Two Pass)" option and 8-to-10 hours if I ball-park it with "Constant Rate Factor (Single Pass)".
    Is there a way to speed the decoding process up, without loosing additional quality in the decoded end MKV?
    Thanks.
    Use temporary file with some lossless codec - it will reduce CPU use at a cost some space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andkar View Post
    Are you sure it's the decoding that's the bottleneck?
    Software decoding of 4K content which is then downsize to 1080p (I'm assuming that's what OP is doing), would probably be decoding bottle necked.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder,if that doesn't help get a better computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote