VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if someone can explain the basics of video conversion when ripping DVD's as its driving me crazy trying to figure it out.
    Example-I have a DVD that I ripped with a couple different programs. Playing the file on a PC or TV the video come out in a 4:3 format.
    But when I play the original DVD from a DVD player it plays at full screen. The confusing part is the original DVD is from tv shows from the 1960's so wouldn't expect HD quality but the DVD plays full screen on an HD TV. Other movies I've tried either come out in letterbox format or 4:3.

I know it has something to do with the DVD players scaling the video up to fill the screen but why cant i get a video to do full screen when ripped to an MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2017 LG Smart TV with one analog (composite) input. This is how
    I am able to attach my VCR and DVD player. The VCR is attached directly, and the DVD player
    is attached to the LINE IN of the VCR.

I have to set the aspect ratio within the TV to 4:3 so all content on the analog input plays at 4:3;
    likewise I have to set the A/R in the DVD player to 4:3 so that anamorphic material is handled properly.
    (played as non-anamorphic)
    This is a compromise for the DVD player I can live with because I use it so rarely.

If your 4:3 DVDs are playing stretched on your TV taking up the full width,
    something is not set right. There should be black bars left and right.
    Last edited by davexnet; 26th Jul 2019 at 00:49. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, when you say "rip", you may be doing more than actually ripping, you may also be converting (reencoding) to another format. And if so, that part may be changing the aspect ratio(s).

Next, depending on the file, your aspect ratios/dimensions may be encoded or may be flagged/tagged, or both, sometimes in conflict with each other.

Next, depending on what app/device you're playing back on, it may or may not be honoring one or more of those generated from above.

Next, you could be playing these on pc in a windowed mode or in fullscreen mode, and they may act differently depending.

You'll have to be MUCH more specific about your processes and show the details of your files (preferrably with advanced text output from mediainfo), for us to be able to compare apples to apples. Even better would be to upload UNREENCODED excerpts of your clips. There is a particular way to do this, please check past threads that describe it.

Also, get yo know & understand the universal formula: Width / Height * Sample (Pixel) aspect ratio = Frame (Display) aspect ratio.
    W/H is sometimes shortened to Storage AR, but that is just a shorthand, doesn't exist independent of W/H in the wild, nor is referred to that way in any technical documentation, so should be discouraged.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26th Jul 2019 at 01:18.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by BYJAM View Post
    I have a DVD that I ripped with a couple different programs.
    As previously mentioned, it would be helpful to know what you mean when you say 'ripped'?

Originally Posted by BYJAM View Post
    but the DVD plays full screen on an HD TV.
    Can you just confirm you mean, the picture stretches out to fill your 16:9 (or there about) TV, so basically there are no black bars anywhere and it's been horizontally stretched? (everyone looks fat!)

Now the reason for the quite basic questions, with maybe somewhat obvious answers, I ask because I just wanted clarification on your last statement.

but why cant i get a video to do full screen when ripped to an MP4?
    That now makes me think you want it to fill the screen?

I look forward to your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for everyones response. The question is not necessarily due to the process or software its more a question of possibilities.
    If I play one of several 1960's era 4:3 videos on the original DVD on a DVD player HDMI connected to a TV. Its plays at 16:9 full screen no distortion.

Everyway I tried to rip the DVD's the VOB file properties are usually 720x480 and 4:3. I copy the finish file to Plex and when displayed on the TV it's either 4:3 (cropped left/right) or I've gotten it to 16:9 but cropped top/bottom. Never figured out how to get them to full screen.

Just wanted to know if full screen 16:9 is possible, if so, what software is the best or is this just the best i can get?

FYI, used Handbrake and TuneFab so far.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for everyones response. The question is not necessarily due to the process or software its more a question of possibilities.
    If I play one of several 1960's era 4:3 videos on the original DVD on a DVD player HDMI connected to a TV. Its plays at 16:9 full screen no distortion.

Everyway I tried to rip the DVD's the VOB file properties are usually 720x480 and 4:3. I copy the finish file to Plex and when displayed on the TV it's either 4:3 (cropped left/right) or I've gotten it to 16:9 but cropped top/bottom. Never figured out how to get them to full screen.

Just wanted to know if full screen 16:9 is possible, if so, what software is the best or is this just the best i can get?

FYI, used Handbrake and TuneFab so far.
    Thanks in advance
    To make 4:3 material fill the 16:9 screen a compromise is necessary. Either you crop away the top and bottom of the video
    to make it the right "shape", or you stretch it sideways so everybody looks fat. What do you propose?
    Last edited by davexnet; 27th Jul 2019 at 10:49. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by BYJAM View Post
    This is what I'm having a problem with. A 4:3 video, on a 16:9 screen, full, filling the screen, with no distortion. Sorry, but with all due respect there's some simple math that's being thrown out of the window.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    This is what I'm having a problem with. A 4:3 video, on a 16:9 screen, full, filling the screen, with no distortion. Sorry, but with all due respect there's some simple math that's being thrown out of the window.
    No math is being thrown out the window. A 4:3 image simply cannot fill a 16:9 display without being stretched horizontally, cropped top/bottom, or some combination of the two. I suspect your TV is in a zoom mode and you are seeing the latter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. All, thanks for the recent replies.
    I've tried saving the files as .ts, M4V, MP4
    I get the whole math issue, perhaps its a combination of the DVD player scaling and zoom on the TV as suggested.
    Sounds like I'm probably doing it right and this is the best I can get out of a DVD.
    Thanks for everyones help.
    Quote Quote