VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a piece of software we can use for timing our manufacturing process.

From a single clip I want to divide it into chapters.
    I want to be prompted to name the chapters
    I want to create a new chapter very simply
    I want to generate a document (prefferebly csv or xls) of the chapters and the duration

Not concerned about special effects or rendering.
    Quote Quote  
  2. far too few details.

I am looking for a piece of software we can use for timing our manufacturing process.
    What formats to you use? (again details are important)

From a single clip I want to divide it into chapters.
    Do you want to split the input source into multiple parts or do you just want to add chapter marks so a player allows you to jump to the chapter point?
    Note that simply adding chapters will not allow each player to properly jump to the chapter point unless the frame at the target time stamp is a key frame.

I want to be prompted to name the chapters
    will probably have to specify the time stamp and the name when creating a chapter point

I want to generate a document (prefferebly csv or xls) of the chapters and the duration
    aside from the chapter format files most tools will use, you can probably create such a file using mediainfo
    (you will probably only get the start time of the chapters not a duration)

-> can't recommend anything since I normally don't have such requirements, but others will need you to provide more details to give any recommendation,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is not a recommendation since your request is rather unique.

But do look at ChapterEditor which may fit the bill.

What I struggle with is why you need a document after creating the video with the chapters. I have not used this software (I have no use for it) but it does allow you to name chapters. It does support a csv format. But even if that does not work in the manner you want you could quickly edit the import in to Excel from a highlight/copy/paste arrangement
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Selur,
    captured with a simple action cam. 30fps 720p mp4

DB83,
    It looks that that program would work, but i would like it to be native to the editing software.

I found that with davinci resolve 15 I can do it in one of two ways. I can use the razor tool to split my clip up into the production task I want the time for. This is good for a couple reasons.
    It logs these clips in the edit index with start and stop time
    The edit index can be exported in csv format.
    The duration of each clip is not listed, but is easily calculated with a formula.
    It is not good because I can not find a way to add notes to clips without adding in and out points as well. This is the big problem, because it would require adding notes in the spreadsheet after the fact, basically requiring that you sweep through the footage twice.

What I am going to do is using the keyboard shortcuts 'ctrl m' i can create a marker, I am then prompted to enter a note, then playback continues when the enter key is pressed.
    This can be exported as a .edl file, which requires a little more work to format correctly, but pretty simple. It does however mean that each marker only has one time stamp relationship, and is not directly related to a duration. This duration will be calculated from the previous marker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your method does appear much more complicated and it does not describe your original plan.

You now propose, if I read correctly, to split your video in to separate clips rather than have one clip which has chapters much like how a dvd works.

What you have not explained - I am just curious - is why you require an external file with the duration etc. data. A far simpler approach would be to create a standard dvd with chapters and meaningful text descriptions.

But at the end of the day it is your baby. The suggested program appeared to fit the bill especially as you did not mention 'editing' prior to your latter reply. Editing normally applies to cutting video in to a more appropriate form the intended output. Not just the abilty to add chapters.

BTW chaptereditor exports a csv file (if I read it correctly). It is primarily intended for a pro dvd-authoring program but I would have thought that a program such as excel could still import it. The highlighted method I suggested should also work since excel has various import options.
    Quote Quote