VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    Please advise how to completely remove metadata from video file e.g Copyright, author etc.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on filetype. Many options.

But if all else fails, you always have these 2 options:
    1. Hexeditor do search & replace with zeros.
    2. Re-encode and don't include the metadata this time.
    Note, that last one only works for attributive/auxilliary metadata, not self-descriptive (which you should/must keep anyway).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -map_metadata -1 -c copy movie_new.mkv
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Very good option, blud7!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Note that blud7's command may not copy all tracks (e.g. in the case you have multiple audio/subtitle tracks). That can be fixed by adding -map 0.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -map 0 -map_metadata -1 -c copy movie_new.mkv
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Map
    Last edited by sneaker; 26th Jul 2019 at 04:15.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Above examples work fine for container level but they doesn't remove metadata embedded in elementary streams - to remove them completely you need use additional filters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Please advise how to completely remove metadata from MKV, Mp4 & wmv video file e.g Copyright, author etc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by deepfrayder View Post
    Please advise how to completely remove metadata from MKV, Mp4 & wmv video file e.g Copyright, author etc.
    ...and hello again. Well it's been two weeks and you're back, I knew you would be.

You see, the -map_metadata -1 get's used a lot in response to your question, and as you have probably found out, it's not the perfect solution, in fact, I don't know whether there is one.

I was interested in this too a couple of years ago, I did some extensive searching and testing, I actually got a little peeved with it and gave up, was too busy at the time. I had found about 6 or 7 different approaches, all of which did 'something': Different 'metadata' options, '+bitexact' options and whatnot, I forget them all now. But look above at post #7 (pandy). In my own tests that is something that became apparent.

I can remember at the time also being a little annoyed of other changes. Example, change different ffmpeg metadata options then load the file into MKVToolNix GUI, you're presented with lots of addition TAG tracks, I guess no big deal but it just didn't feel 'clean'.

I guess, and it is a guess, a different approach may be needed depending on the container and formats contained within. I guess it needs someone who has a little time on their hands. It would be interesting to see if there is a perfect outcome or if the relevant information/knowledge/testing is available I can get something 'knocked-up' to do the task.

Good luck.
    Wayne
    Quote Quote