VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few webcams that I stream to Youtube 24/7. I want to upgrade one to 4K. Right now I'm using NVENC to encode to h264. I would like use a CPU instead, since it will be better quality.

What type of CPU would be able to encode 4K to h264 @ 30fps?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you might want to look into the Intel Kaby Lake series or above for 4K
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't webcams already compress the video to e.g H.264? I mean you don't connect them via HDMI to your PC, do you? Best quality would be to simply pass-through the compressed data coming from the webcam which also doesn't need any fast CPU or GPU.

Most powerful "mainstream" CPU for encoding is probably the Ryzen 3900X right now. Don't know if it's worth upgrading from NVENC, though. (Note that newer generations of NVENC improve quality over older ones. Don't know which one you have.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to use either a Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7r, input through a Black Magic Design Intensity Pro 4K HDMI card. So I have to encode it to h264.
    Quote Quote  
  5. those aren't webcams in the first place
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
    I have a few webcams that I stream to Youtube 24/7. I want to upgrade one to 4K. Right now I'm using NVENC to encode to h264. I would like use a CPU instead, since it will be better quality.

What type of CPU would be able to encode 4K to h264 @ 30fps?

Thanks
    Provide some details (upstream bitrate) see no added value for real time streaming from CPU use - quality gain will be marginal for reasonable latency settings. Provide information about used NVEnc (chip rev, always use latest NV drivers). I would increase bitrate by 10 - 20% to gain quality as CPU will introduce unavoidable jitter and latency.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Computer: Dell XPS 8700 running Ubuntu 16.04

GPU details:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 03G-P4-6162-KR, 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)

My upload speed is 270 Mbps. My building is one of the highest in the city and I'm pretty sure it acts as a hub for others. They just upgraded the internet and put some type of dish on the roof.

Here's the portion of the ffmpeg command dealing with NVENC.
    -c:v h264_nvenc -preset:v hq -rc cbr_hq -b:v 16M

The current main camera is a Hikvision CCTV camera running at 1440p resolution and the highest bitrate the camera will support, 16 Mbps.

Basically, I'm at the point where I'm tired of the Hikvision image quality. I want something with better low light performance, better color, and able to do 4K. The Hikvision is 4K, but it makes a weird flashing artifact if set above 1440p. It also is limited to like 19 Mbps upload in 4K mode and Youtube complains it's not enough. It also came with some bad pixels / dirt on the sensor.

Another reason I wanted a Panasonic GH4/5 or Sony A7R is to possibly have the camera apply color profiles. I have been using ffmpeg to apply a .ACV file, to remove fog/haze. This requires using the GPU / CPU and it would be better if the camera could do it. The Hikvision definitely doesn't support doing that. I haven't completely figured out if the GH4/5 or Sony can do that.
    Quote Quote