VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I'm happy to have found this forum.

I have a movie in .mp4 format and I got the same movie on DVD and I'd like to extract the audio tracks from the DVD and add them to the .mp4 somehow.

I'm still not sure about the whole process but I was trying to follow this tutorial on youtube to import the .vob files into MKVToolNix, but when I try to do this I get a message saying "the file was not recognized as a supported format".

Not sure why since it's exactly what the video shows and I'm assuming the program is indeed meant to be able to handle .vob files.

Should I rip the audio tracks from the DVD with some other program first? I read that VLC can do it. Or does MKVToolNix have everything I need? If someone can help me figure out the process, it would be very much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is this a commercial DVD? If so, did you decrypt it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply.
    It's a DVD rented from a store. I didn't decrypt it... How could I?

By the way, an update on the things I have also tried meanwhile:

1) I tried to extract the audio from the DVD with VLC following this guide, and unfortunately that didn't go well neither. I saved the audio as a .flac file but for some reason the final product was only about 2 minutes long and the audio itself was chopped up.

2) I tried to load the DVD in Handbrake but it tells me that there is no valid source or title found. It says that it might be because the DVD is copyright protected and that Handbrake does not support removal of copy protections.

I have to return the DVD before Sunday, I hope that I can at least make a copy of it if I don't manage to rip the audio out of it.

I'm baffled that 15 years ago I used to do things like this regularly and now I'm totally clueless about it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Sentient0000 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    It's a DVD rented from a store. I didn't decrypt it...
    That's the problem. Virtually all commercial DVDs are encrypted. So MKVToolnix doesn't recognize the contents of the VOB files.

Originally Posted by Sentient0000 View Post
    How could I?
    You can use a "ripper" like DVD Decrypter (free, hasn't been updated in years but still works for many discs), DVD Fab (a commercial product but free for decrypting, updated regularly), or MakeMKV (free, updated regularly). You'll need the original disc (the decryption key is on the disc).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help! I used MakeMKV first and was able to make a copy of the DVD first, then I merged the audio with MKVToolNix and everything worked out well.
    Quote Quote