VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Please add the .xz extension to the list of file types that can be uploaded to VideoHelp.

    EDIT:

    Hmmm, the server doesn't like .cab files as well.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 23rd Jul 2019 at 19:52. Reason: add more info
    users on my IgnoreList: 162 names thus far, but featuring DB83 and manono.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    What compresses to .xz?
    What compresses to .cab?
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    What compresses to .xz?
    What compresses to .cab?
    .xz: 7-zip

    .cab: cabarc
    users on my IgnoreList: 162 names thus far, but featuring DB83 and manono.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why do you need to upload those formats? Why so obscure? Are people here going to download them? That's the whole point of uploading here right? Why not just use a common format?

    users on my IgnoreList: 160 names thus far, but featuring DB83, manono, usually_quiet && Aludin.
    Just out of Curiosity. How can there be that many people on you ignore list? Including the ones about to join?
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Why do you need to upload those formats? Why so obscure? Are people here going to download them? That's the whole point of uploading here right? Why not just use a common format?
    Obviously you have no idea of what you're talking bout. Neither .xz nor .cab are "obscure" formats. CAB has never been popular, I agree, but it was created by Microsoft. XZ is popular in the Linux /BSD /UNIX world. Yes, the last time I tried to upload some archives to VideoHelp I discovered that the server or/and its antivirus was configured to reject XZ and CAB. Yes, I had chosen XZ because tar.XZ gave me a smaller file than .7z.
    Last but not least, if the software that you use for decompressing archives cannot read the .xz and the .cab formats, then you surely are nobody
    users on my IgnoreList: 160 names thus far, but featuring DB83, manono, usually_quiet && Aludin.
    Just out of Curiosity. How can there be that many people on you ignore list?
    Welcome to my IgnoreList
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 24th Jul 2019 at 12:40. Reason: clarification
    users on my IgnoreList: 162 names thus far, but featuring DB83 and manono.
    Quote Quote  
  6. .7z is supported on linux as well.
    Ps. Do not forget to add me to ignorelist as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 2 Things:

    1) I think you should just add the whole site to your ignore list, by blocking it in your HOSTS file, then you couldn't post here.

    2) You should ignore this observation but there is no valid reason to want to upload an archive to this site unless you are trying to use it as free storage, in which case you should go ahead and ignore yourself as well.

    P.S. Am i alone in hating cats?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    P.S. Am i alone in hating cats?
    Confucous he would say "Some achieve greatness whilst others have greatness thrust upon them"

    And this 'headliner' is no clearer now why he is listed than before.

    Now this may be lost in translation:

    I love cats but there is one cat I would also love to see put in a 'Cab' and driven off to some far distant place
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Since .cab was developed to contain automatically executable files, this places them into the same category as .exe and .com and it's not surprising that they're not allowed. Add me to the didn't know list because AFAIK few people outside Microsoft used .cab because of licensing fees.

    As for .xz, how large a file are you trying to upload that the smaller size (which can't be much since .7z is highly efficient) is important?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    P.S. Am i alone in hating cats?
    Confucous he would say "Some achieve greatness whilst others have greatness thrust upon them"

    And this 'headliner' is no clearer now why he is listed than before.

    Now this may be lost in translation:

    I love cats but there is one cat I would also love to see put in a 'Cab' and driven off to some far distant place
    What did you post? I can't see it because you're on El Heggunte's ignore list! Oh wait! You're not on mine!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    .cab should be a no-go, potential security risk. I wasn't even aware, or forgot, it was available outside MS compression software, being an MS format.

    .xz is fine, could be added, but it's an unpopular format. Use zip, rar, tag.gz, 7z.
    Plenty already.

    I really don't get all this "ignore" drama.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 25th Jul 2019 at 00:31. Reason: word tense
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    You will when you get placed on "The List".

    I don't understand it either. "Nah nah, I can't hear youuuuuu."

    The only person I've considered putting on my ignore list was gamemanico, here and at digitalfaq. I'm glad I didn't because I'd miss out on all the fun!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I'm glad I didn't because I'd miss out on all the fun!
    I was educated a few months ago that 'ignore' has a whole new meaning.

    The posts can still be read and WILL be replied to.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I just remembered. I did put Macaroni...errr that "I am a cat" guy on ignore once. His posts were hidden only if I was logged in. Makes sense. I took him off ignore because it sometimes made it hard to follow threads that he was just replying to, rather than started himself.

    Edit: I just checked and Mr "I am a cat" and Newpball are still on my ignore list!
    Last edited by lingyi; 24th Jul 2019 at 22:08.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    xz added!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    xz added!
    Please also add the wtf archive format.

    I need this for sending journal articles to those on my ignore list.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    xz added!
    Please also add the wtf archive format.
    I need this for sending journal articles to those on my ignore list.
    If someone is on your 'ignore list' why are you sending them articles? Aren't you supposed to be ignoring them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    xz added!
    Please also add the wtf archive format.
    I need this for sending journal articles to those on my ignore list.
    If someone is on your 'ignore list' why are you sending them articles? Aren't you supposed to be ignoring them?
    Their posts yes....their inbox no!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  19. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    xz archive seems to be a poor choice for anyone who cares about long-term storage:

    https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html

    My advice is to ban all xz uploads.
    Last edited by ron spencer; 9th Aug 2019 at 13:56. Reason: Saving the xz archiver from itself.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    I feel left out
    DB83 is ignored and I am not
    As far as cats, can we send a pit bull (in a bad mood) to deal with macaroni
    Where is gamemaniaco when you need him?
    Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Where is gamemaniaco when you need him?
    He's here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/media/9959-correct-storage-optical.html
    He's always here.
    Always.
    And finding ways to make moldy DVDs with ziplock bags.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    And he seems to be posting a lot
    So, are you saying that ziplock bags and used silica is bad?
    Last edited by gonca; 18th Aug 2019 at 07:53.
    Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    Back on topic...I think that placing xz archives in Ziploc bags with silica is the perfect place to put them!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Is that fresh silica sticks or used silica pellets in bags?
    Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Is that fresh silica sticks or used silica pellets in bags?
    You need both to ensure archive integrity...
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    But do xz archives get moldy if you are not in South America?
    Is he gone?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    I feel left out
    DB83 is ignored and I am not
    As far as cats, can we send a pit bull (in a bad mood) to deal with macaroni
    Where is gamemaniaco when you need him?
    He came back in Febuary 2019 under yet another alias, powatrin, asking about MDiscs and blew his cover by asking about how long they would last under his weather conditions. He'll come back again, probably under a new alias when his threads get ignored or closed at digitalfaq.

    Edit: There's a poster, machinaforce at straightdope.com that's his evil/good? twin except he posts endless questions about the meaning of life and Buddhism. I don't visit the site anymore because he and a few other posters actually scare me with their posts.
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Aug 2019 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    endless questions about the meaning of life and Buddhism
    What is a DVD-R?
    Made of dye, you say? Holds data, you say?
    Is all data on dye?
    Data is all around us. Is dye all around us?
    Are we all simply swimming in dye?
    The cosmos is dye.

    Mind blown.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    endless questions about the meaning of life and Buddhism
    What is a DVD-R?
    Made of dye, you say? Holds data, you say?
    Is all data on dye?
    Data is all around us. Is dye all around us?
    Are we all simply swimming in dye?
    The cosmos is dye.

    Mind blown.
    LOL! That's actually close to what machinaforce asks!

    Things like: "Is the world real?" and "Is the pursuit of ANYTHING the cause of unhappiness?", then rejects any answer given and asks the same question over and over.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Rancid User ron spencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ish-ka-bibble
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    But do xz archives get moldy if you are not in South America?
    To prevent this, put them in rar container like everyone else.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads