VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a number of files - mainly mkv but a few mp4 - which have subtitles within the file.

They are NOT hard-coded OR in a seperate .srt file.

The timing etc is not causing problems BUT there are quite of a number of errors I need to rectify

Is there anyway I can simply edit them where they are?

It seems a bit of a faff to strip them out, edit them and then put them back but thats looking like it might need have to be done ASSUMING it can be done.

Any help appreciated and Thanks In Advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. To be clear: SubtitleEdit can open subtitles from containers like mkv or mp4 directly. So you can skip the first step of your work flow (manual extraction from the container). AFAIK you still need to manually mux to mkv afterwards because Subtitle Edit cannot output to mkv, only to srt, ass etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SubtitleEdit doesn't work period. Opening an mkv file does f*ck all. It doesn't display any timestamps, no subtitles, doesn't even play the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe if you post a representative MediaInfo file of one of your MKV files to take a look just to see if there is some other problem. Subtitle Edit certainly works on all of my files.

Even if SE opens the embedded sub file and make your edits you still have to save the SRT file as a separate file and then remux it into the MKV with MKVToolNix.

Quite frankly all the time wasted to do it in situ one could have extracted the file with say MKVCleaver then made the changes and remux into the original MKV file. That's what I do with a dozen files at a time sometimes.

As far as I know there isn't a program that will allow you to edit a subtitle within the MKV structure and save the changes directly to the sub within the MKV without a remux. It would be good if there was.....

Good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote