VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Mediainfo tells me this with about 30 mkv files:

1509 kbps, 48 kHz, 24 bits, 2 channel, DTS

When the original (in all cases) is:

DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)

Is there any reason? I imagine is useless if the original isn't 24-bit. I assume they extract DTS Core from DTS-HD Master audio, but why they change the original bit of depth? Were the audios re-encoded afterward? To sum up, I never found any mkv file with DTS Core 16 bit, always DTS Core 24 bit.

Is it possible to recover the 16 bit with eac3to without damaging the current DTS Core?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DTS cores don't have any inherent bitdepth (same for many other lossy format, e.g. AC3, AAC). You can ignore what MediaInfo tells you about it after core extraction. Only the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio "has" a bitdepth in any meaningful way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If I am not mistaken, or if I remember correctly, the fault is not of the "rippers", but of a software named eac3to...
    By default eac3to changes (or used to change?) the bitdepth of the lossy-DTS streams when their frame headers indicated a bit-depth different from 24-bits,
    that is to say, 16-bits or 20-bits.
    madshi —the creator of eac3to— said that there are /there were some hardware and/or software decoders which took seriously the bitdepth flag in the DTS frame headers, but they shouldn't, therefore...
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 20th Jul 2019 at 11:14. Reason: clarity
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    By the way...

Originally Posted by Enrik View Post
    1509 kbps, 48 kHz, 24 bits, 2 channel, DTS

DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
    Encoding 2-channel audio at 48kHz to 1509kbps DTS proves that some """professional""" users of the Master Audio Suite are incurable idiots
    Any value between 480kbps and 576kbps would be sufficient for a 2.0 channel-layout... the DVD-Video specs defined 503.25kbps as one of the four "official" DTS bitrates.

</END OF OFF-TOPIC and/or RANT>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    If I am not mistaken, or if I remember correctly, the fault is not of the "rippers", but of a software named eac3to...
    By default eac3to changes (or used to change?) the bitdepth of the lossy-DTS streams when their frame headers indicated a bit-depth different from 24-bits,
    that is to say, 16-bits or 20-bits.
    madshi —the creator of eac3to— said that there are /there were some hardware and/or software decoders which took seriously the bitdepth flag in the DTS frame headers, but they shouldn't, therefore...
    Wow! You're right! Incredible! I have one mkv file with DTS-HD Master Audio (16 bit) and I fed eac3to with it (i used dts -core). Take a look at this:

MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1:20:41, 24p /1.001
    1: h264/AVC, 1280x640 24p /1.001
    2: DTS Master Audio, English, 1.0 channels, 16 bits, 48kHz
    (core: DTS, 1.0 channels, 16 bits, 768kbps, 48kHz)
    [a02] Extracting audio track number 2...
    [a02] Extracting DTS core...
    [a02] Patching bitdepth to 24 bits...
    [a02] Creating file "C:\Desktop\movie.mkv_2eng.dts"...
    Video track 1 contains 116063 frames.
    eac3to processing took 4 minutes, 32 seconds.
    Done.

So, is there any way that eac3to can decode the 16bits DTS-HD Master Audio to 16bits DTS Core files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's possible via -dontPatchDts
    But there isn't really any good reason to set it. At least none I can think of..

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It's possible via -dontPatchDts
    But there isn't really any good reason to set it. At least none I can think of..

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use
    It works! Thank you very very much, sneaker!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I hope you read the part about how it doesn't make any sense to use that option ...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I hope you read the part about how it doesn't make any sense to use that option ...
    Well, I just prefer 16 bit when the original is 16 bit. Besides, I figure that if I convert the dts core (24 to 16 bit) I'll lose details or introduce clipping. I'd like to be sure of this but I don't know how.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Higher precision will not result in less details or more clipping. Don't use -dontPatchDts
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    sneaker is right. The field for the source bit-depth in the DTS frame headers is as useless as the field for the so-called "transmission bitrate" (which almost always is different from the actual bitrate of the DCA stream). The DTS "digital coherent acoustics" format has various design flaws... and to make things worse, its commercial implementations are VERY incomplete. The only DCA compressor which supports (almost) all sampling rates and bitrates defined in the DCA specification is ffdcaenc, which is freeware and open-sourced.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 26th Jul 2019 at 23:45.
    Quote Quote