I have an old Argosy HV335T HDD Media Player that I use to put my movies onto. What I liked about it, is that it was easy to swap out the internal HDD. It was also easy to transfer movies to it via a USB cable from my computer. I could also connect it to my Network via WiFi or Ethernet. It was also inexpensive, $60 is what I think I paid for it. Some of the specs:
- Supports Full HD video playback up to 1080p & play HD-type movies in Full HD 1080p
- Supports USB external HDD and USB flash drive via USB host
- Supports full DVD Menu functions
- Supports most popular digital media formats: H.264/WMV9/VC-1/Xvid/MPEG-1/MPEG-2/RM/RMVB
- Supports MP3/WMA/OGG/FLAC/AAC/Dolby Digital/DTS audio codec
- Supports photo slide show with music background and thumbnail preview
- Stream and share movies/music via home network
- Display internet video/audio supported by DMS directly on the TV.
- Can watch and display the selected internet services on your HDTV like YouTube, Mediafly, Last FM and Picasa, Flickr, Weather
Anyway, Argosy got out of the Media Player business and so my question is this. If there something comparable out there that is:
2. Allows me to install my own HDD (preferably 4TB and above)
3. Plays all (or most) audio/video formats
4. Has HDMI/Ethernet/USB connections and is also WiFi.
Any help would be appreciated.
As always, Thank you.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Kodi installed. Most of these are not true Android TV boxes because they run the same Android OS that is installed on mobile devices rather than Android TV but they still work for playing videos with Kodi. Some come with a keyboard/touchpad but most only only provide a remote and the keyboard/touchpad must be purchased separately, adding to the cost.Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
+1 to an Android box and agree that having the drive internal limits your choices and adds to the cost.
I recommend getting a good Android box and a dock or external case. This way if either device fails, you replace it and continue on.
The only Android boxes that I can recall seeing which allow installing an internal HDD are similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JRG71LH/ ...but they only accept a single 2.5 inch drive up to 2TB. As lingyi suggested, a 3.5-inch drive in a USB 3.0 HDD enclosure with its own power supply would be a better choice for these models if you need 4TB of storage.Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
I still use my Argosy HV335T, have not had an internal hdd inside it for years. Everything via 2½" usb hdds. (player runs cool to the touch, with int hdd was allus hot)
I tried WD TV live. Online connectivity was the ONLY good thing about it. (IMO) Aud, vid, imgs, via usb only. Could use wireless keyboard for online. Back in the box for 3-4 years now.
I also have a Dune 303D TV player, much better than WD TV, but not as good as the Argosy (IMO) You can find this (& WDTV) on line occaisionally.
Dune has both internal & usb (<- for hdd & thumb etc) The internal is a fast swap tray for 2½" hdds. Also network capable.
-c-Cranky Old Man
I found another Android box which has a compartment for an internal drive. According to the manufacturer, it has been reported to work with 3.5" desktop drives up to 8TB. Unfortunately, it isn't an inexpensive box.
https://kdlinks.com/products/a400-4k-media-playerIgnore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord