VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Thank you for fixing that issue with Fcropresize! I was going crazy trying to figure out why my previous settings were not being applied correctly.

The banding that's present in that screenshot is exactly how it shows up in my video player. The JPEG that I shared does not appear any worse than it does in my video player. I do notice the banding issue regardless if the video is full-screen or not.

I've noticed that the banding issue that I brought up seems to only happen when there is a texture value applied. If the texture value is set to zero, then I don't notice the severe banding that was illustrated in the screenshot above. I'm using the latest version of AddGrainC (v1.8.3) https://github.com/pinterf/AddGrainC/releases

I still have the test versions of crop resize that you've uploaded if you need them.

CropResize(640,480,frosty=true)
    H = height( last)
    FCropResize(Clone=2, Feather=30, Blur=H/20.0, VBlur=H/20.0, Texture=0)
    CropResize(960,540,frosty=true)

H = height( last)
    FCropResize(Clone=2, Feather=30, Blur=H/20.0, VBlur=H/20.0, Texture=5)
    CropResize(960,540,frosty=true)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WWE Vengeance 2007 (Original PPV Broadcast).mp4_20211021_235830.675.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	61390  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WWE Vengeance 2007 (Original PPV Broadcast).mp4_20211022_000008.405.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	61391  

Quote Quote  
  2. thebib62,
    I'm not sure why AddGrainC should cause banding. I'm still using version 1.8.2 so I'll download the current version to see if it's any different.
    In the meantime I've just uploaded new versions of CropResize and FrostyBorders, both dated 2021-10-22 (another bug fix).

Edit: I tried AddGrainC 1.8.3 and I still can't reproduce your problem. In fact there's banding in the picture here that's not as easy to see in the borders. You might need to upload a sample video.
    You could also try neo_f3kdb. https://github.com/HomeOfAviSynthPlusEvolution/neo_f3kdb
    It'll add the texture instead of AddGrainC when GPlugin=2. It does debanding but I think I disabled that and just used it to add grain. If I did, maybe I should change that.

CropResize(640,480)
    H = height( last)
    CropResize(960,540, frosty=true)

[Attachment 61394 - Click to enlarge]

By the way, did you check out the negative values for Blur, VBlur and Texture(C) in the help file. They're designed to do something similar to Blur=H/20.0.

And not that it's likely to be a problem, if the source is 4:3, but you've enabled frosty borders for the first CropResize too (in your example above).

Another Edit:
    Give this version a spin with GPlugin=2 and compare it to the current CropResize, also with GPlugin=2. For this version I've enabled f3kdb's debanding and dithering (default settings). Texture and TextureC should work as before.

FCropResize(Clone=2, Feather=30, Blur=H/20.0, VBlur=H/20.0, Texture=5, GPlugin=2)

CropResize Test.avsi

PS. With all that blurring and texture your clone borders are looking a lot like frosty borders now.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Oct 2021 at 02:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Fixed an error message when Clone=3 and the ResampleMT plugin wasn't loaded.
    Made Clone=3 play nice with YV411.

There's a link for FrostyBorders 2021-10-22 in the opening post.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I went ahead and tried the new versions of Fcropresize and frostyboarders and the test version of cropresize. all of which still produced the banding issue. I even switched video players. I've been using potplayer this whole time, and I tried media player classic, same result. I even downloaded the Neo_F3 KDB plug-in you linked to and it made no difference.

I've noticed this issue with multiple video files, I'm assuming it would apply to any video file. I will share the video file with you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. If your video card and/or PotPlayer is doing any picture enhancing, you may have to ask them to stop. If you compare the screenshots below to the ones you uploaded there's an obvious difference. Why it's only happening when you add texture I'm not sure, but I suspect the banding probably happens (more) with video that has out of range levels. These are all PNGs so you can see exactly what I'm seeing.

This is a screenshot taken with MPC-HC, so it should be the video untouched from the script output (with Histogram), aside from a conversion from TV to full range levels for the screenshot (image formats are full range, so the player should save a screenshot that way). It matches what I'm seeing when I view the video so I'm confident what I'm seeing is correct. The only thing that's happening to the video I see is a conversion to full range RGB by ffdshow before it's sent to the monitor (my monitor is set to expect a full range input). As you can see there are out of range levels. Anything in the brown areas is outside TV range. Normally that shouldn't be an issue. When the video is converted to full range, anything outside of the TV range would be clipped to black or white.

[Attachment 61401 - Click to enlarge]

MPC-HC and the ffdshow script.
    Source
    H = height( last)

[Attachment 61402 - Click to enlarge]

MPC-HC via a script (no ffdshow)

[Attachment 61403 - Click to enlarge]

MPC-HC via a script (no ffdshow or texture)

[Attachment 61404 - Click to enlarge]

PotPlayer via a script (no ffdshow)

[Attachment 61405 - Click to enlarge]

I don't think it's a TV vs full range levels issue as such, because without the full range conversion the video looks more "washed out", but your screenshot doesn't look like that. I suspect there's some sort of picture enhancing happening.

[Attachment 61406 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Oct 2021 at 17:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Interesting, thank you for looking into the issue for me. I will try to do some more bug testing on my end to see if I could figure out the exact cause of the banding after adding the texture value. It's strange that it works perfectly on your end. The only other difference I can think of is perhaps you're using the 64-bit version of FFD show? I'm running the 32-bit versions of every plug-in and media player to get frostyboarders up and running.

I will definitely look into the video settings of each player to see if it's changing are enhancing the image at all. I'm assuming everything was at default settings while running pot player for those example screenshots that you posted?

EDIT:
    Eureka! Wasn't expecting to find the solution so quickly after making my previous post. I went into Intel graphics settings and found an option that's labeled "noise reduction"... And lo and behold after disabling it I am no longer experiencing the banding issues.
    Last edited by thebib62; 22nd Oct 2021 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. PS. I keep meaning to mention....

I think you said something about an A/V de-sync when adding FrostyBorders at times. Do you have the checkbox in the ffdshow Avisynth filter labelled "Buffer back/ahead" checked? Doing so seems to fix any slight A/V de-sync for me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by thebib62 View Post
    Interesting, thank you for looking into the issue for me. I will try to do some more bug testing on my end to see if I could figure out the exact cause of the banding after adding the texture value. It's strange that it works perfectly on your end. The only other difference I can think of is perhaps you're using the 64-bit version of FFD show? I'm running the 32-bit versions of every plug-in and media player to get frostyboarders up and running.
    Nah... I'm still running XP and a 12yo video card.

Originally Posted by thebib62 View Post
    I will definitely look into the video settings of each player to see if it's changing are enhancing the image at all. I'm assuming everything was at default settings while running pot player for those example screenshots that you posted?
    I think so but I rarely use it.

EDIT:
    Eureka! Wasn't expecting to find the solution so quickly after making my previous post. I went into Intel graphics settings and found an option that's labeled "noise reduction"... And lo and behold after disabling it I am no longer experiencing the banding issues.
    Awesome! I didn't think it'd be that easy either. Kind of ironic though. You add noise and the video card causes banding trying to remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have a couple of microsized computers that are used strictly for local video playback. The computers are low-cost, cheap and subsequently have low performance. I've been using a stripped down version of Windows 10 on these devices to squeeze better performance from them. Unfortunately for me, these special versions of Windows 10 do not include window store. I need to have access to the Windows store in order to download the Intel graphics control panel's, so I can disable the noise reduction option that's been causing me these banding issues. So, after realizing I would not be able to reinstall the window store without formatting my computer, I did just that. I completely reinstalled Windows, upgrading it to Windows 11 just so I could use frostyboarder without any problems. I just thought you would like to know that.

I think you said something about an A/V de-sync when adding FrostyBorders at times. Do you have the checkbox in the ffdshow Avisynth filter labelled "Buffer back/ahead" checked? Doing so seems to fix any slight A/V de-sync for me.
    This option was disabled by default. After following your advice it seems to no longer be an issue, so thank you very much for that solution! Are both boxes set to 10 ?

By the way, did you check out the negative values for Blur, VBlur and Texture(C) in the help file. They're designed to do something similar to Blur=H/20.0.
    I have not. But I will, and take the time to play around with it. Thanks for the heads up.

Nah... I'm still running XP and a 12yo video card.
    That's commendable. I loved XP and in my opinion, it was the best operating system Microsoft ever made. I would still continue to use it if the majority of my software wasn't incompatible with it.
    Last edited by thebib62; 23rd Oct 2021 at 04:50.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by thebib62 View Post
    I just thought you would like to know that.
    That was certainly enthusiastic of you.

This option was disabled by default. After following your advice it seems to no longer be an issue, so thank you very much for that solution! Are both boxes set to 10 ?
    10 is the default for both. I don't think I've ever needed to change them, but if you hover the cursor over each there should be a tooltip explaining what each one is buffering.

That's commendable. I loved XP and in my opinion, it was the best operating system Microsoft ever made. I would still continue to use it if the majority of my software wasn't incompatible with it.
    Yeah it's getting harder to keep using it. I have an old laptop running Win7 and I've tweaked it so it's tolerable, but I still prefer XP, and I'm not a fan of using a laptop compared to a desktop (my other half sits on the sofa for hours with the laptop on her lap, but I can't do it).
    I have a spare copy of Win7 so I can upgrade XP to that if need be, but I'm still contemplating going straight to Linux. I played around with Linux Mint a while back and quite liked it. It's XP-like and fairly user friendly. I've been procrastinating going either way though, until I build a new PC, which I've been planning to do for years now, but something always seems to come up just as I've got enough spare cash, so I'm still plodding along with XP.

Edit I just noticed a mistake in the Blur description in the CropResize help file for frosty borders and negative values. If you read the whole section you'll follow what it means.

"Height and width above refer to the height and width of the picture used to create the borders, which may be
    the source before it's resized when upscaling, or after it's resized when downscaling."

That doesn't apply when CropResize is adding frosty borders as it always crops and resizes before the borders are added.
    The stand-alone FrostyBorders function has the luxury of not being expected to crop (aside from maybe cropping a pixel here or there to prevent aspect error), so it can take pixels from either the source video or the resized version for borders.
    I'll delete that part from the CropResize help file for the next version, which is in the works already. I'm adding FMTConv as a resizing and color conversion option and new chroma placement arguments so it'll be able to resize formats with sub-sampled chroma without the slight chroma shift Avisynth's resizers introduce. And maybe some other stuff...
    Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd Oct 2021 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote