VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a subliminal cd. I am curious to learn if i can hear the messages which is masked by sounds of rain and sea. Is there any way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Is there any way to do this?" - Yes, TURN THE VOLUME UP.

Seriously, this is one of those urban legends.

If you cannot hear and RECOGNIZE a signal, WHEN YOU ARE STUDIOUSLY/CONSCIOUSLY TRYING TO LOOK FOR IT, in a sufficiently loud recording, you won't be able to hear & recognize it when with your "subliminal" or "subconsious" mind.

Beware of pseudo-science snake oil.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. there is research that shows subliminals have effect. I am not getting into an argument about it. I am only interested in if there is anyway to reveal the message under the masking sound. the issue is not if they 'work'. It just to see if what is there can be determined
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My spouse is a clinical psychologist and I have seen the "research". Again, this isn't steganography. If the signal is meant to be received by the brain, but be "subliminal", that means it is at a weaker, more hidden state than normal, not that it is corrupted/encrypted (as then it wouldn't be able to be "decoded" by your subconscious - like the backmasking fallacy) . Which also means that it is designed to be JUST BELOW the threshold of conscious recognition (your "limin") - WHEN the brain isn't expecting it - but still strong enough that the brain "passively" receives it. Thus, it follows that IF the brain is EXPECTING it (which you are in this instance) and LOOKING for it, that "threshold" of your limin is lowered and it should be consciously recognizable. Thus, if it isn't recognizable EVEN when you are looking for it, it is too weak to be passively absorbed.
    And, if you want to raise that threshold, in addition to consciously increasing your expectation, raise the signal level overall. (But beware of overly-loud signals!)

If you want some "objective" proof, one option would be to compare the spectral patterns of "masking signal alone" vs. "masking signal + hidden signal".

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th Jul 2019 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There was a infamous court case a few years back (it's on youtube) where a teenager blew his brains out while listening to a Judas Priest record. The band was held to be non-responsible since, as Scott rather eloquently puts it, you hear what you want to hear. And if you can not hear it then it's not for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know about all that, but I love your screen name. I'll try not to make you angry. I wouldn't like you when you're angry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Psychology was my major at Uni and we covered subliminal messaging from a visiting lecturer in our final year. Precious little evidence other than techniques politicians and advertisers use. We certainly are not at the level depicting in that great old SciFi film "They Live" You will OBEY! As Cornucopia wrote "spectral analysis"
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Subliminal audio is homeopathy for your ears.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    Subliminal audio is homeopathy for your ears.

Brilliant!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!