VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have you ever thought about transferring(physically move) the VHS tape to the S-VHS cassette(or to create the right hole in the VHS cassette) and playing it in an S-VHS VCR that read the cassette, tape as S-VHS(probably) ? Maybe someone did and/or saw such action and comparison and knows what the effect is ?
    I think that maybe it would just make a bigger grain because of the higher resolution of reading the tape ? But the effect would be satisfactory for some - better than reading from this tape in the original as VHS. I don't know.
    From the theory I know that what is written on the tape is already saved and more can not be extracted, but maybe in practice it looks different.

"[...] S-VHS improves luminance (luma) resolution by increasing luminance bandwidth.[2] Increased bandwidth is possible because of increased luminance carrier from 3.4 megahertz (MHz) to 5.4 MHz. Increased luminance bandwidth produces a 60% improvement in (luminance) picture detail, or a horizontal resolution of 420 vertical lines per picture height – versus VHS's 240 lines. [...]"

"[...] In order to take advantage of the enhanced capabilities of the S-VHS system, i.e., for the best recordings and playback, an S-VHS VCR requires S-VHS video tape cassettes. These have a different oxide media formulation for higher magnetic coercivity. S-VHS video cassettes are sensed and identified by the video cassette recorder via a specific internal profile within a hole in the underside of the S-VHS video cassette body.

Videophiles were the first to theorize that since the only distinguishing feature of an S-VHS tape is a small 3 mm hole on the underside of the video cassette, it should be possible to use more common and inexpensive VHS tapes by duplicating that hole. However, S-VHS cassettes also contain a higher grade and coercivity of tape stock to effectively record the higher video bandwidth offered by S-VHS. [...]"

Source of quotes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS

Comparison of cassettes differences in VHS, S-VHS, D-VHS systems: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/VHS_tape_identification.jpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    S-VHS players already play VHS tapes.

Recordnig S-VHS on VHS tapes has always been possible. In the old days, you just drilled or melted holes in the clamshells. Then S-VHS-ET came out from JVC, and drilling/melting needed. I recorded tons of S-VHS-ET on high grade TDK and JVC tapes.

The main difference in VHS and S-VHS blanks were tape stock. You got more dropouts with VHS tapes, as it wasn't intended for the resolution.

I'd never convert VHS to S-VHS, not then or now. Analog generation loss.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 16th Jul 2019 at 15:10. Reason: typo
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A VHS recording on VHS tape won't magically become S-VHS level/quality due to the shell. It'll just read the signal and decode it.
    The shell just flags the VCR to accept a higher bandwidth signal. But if the signal ISN'T higher bandwidth anyway (as that is not how it was recorded), it'll decode it as it normally would.

WASTE.OF.TIME.

Scott
    Quote Quote