VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I posted a question re a file which turned out to be encrypted. someone pm me offering to help me decrypt but want me to communicate via a massenger app.Is this normal?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are asking for help with something that is definitely illegal in some countries and is probably against VideoHelp forum rules because the site owner prefers not to be shut down for facilitating illegal activities.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You are asking for help with something that is definitely illegal in some countries and is probably against VideoHelp forum rules because the site owner prefers not to be shut down for facilitating illegal activities.
    i am not i am asking why people want to take people offsite. the file was encrypted. when i learned that i left it be. i dit ask for help to unencrypt it. someone pmd me offering help but wanted to communicate by messenger. my question is what is that about, is it a scam?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    i am not i am asking why people want to take people offsite. the file was encrypted. when i learned that i left it be. i dit ask for help to unencrypt it. someone pmd me offering help but wanted to communicate by messenger. my question is what is that about, is it a scam?
    There is no way to tell what their intentions may be, and no this isn't typical.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is no way to tell what their intentions may be, and no this isn't typical.
    OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I have seen the post you referred to.

Methinks the respondent was mis-informed since the site appears to allow for downloads for logged in 'members'

But this is a two-edged sword. Discussion about accessing member-only material, even if non subscription based, is basically against forum rules and the site is geo-blocked.

The download may have DRM attached but that should not prevent local playback on your own device. It would prevent third-party sharing since that is the whole purpose of DRM.

At the least the respondent would be seeking your log-in details. And if the server saw access from multiple locations then your own, legitimate, account could be terminated.
    Quote Quote