VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

Threaded View

1. Hi!
    I just wanted to say that the site PioneerFAQ (pioneerfaq.info) will be closed down (in the beging of 2020)
    This is becouse of a few things.
    But mainly as the webhotel are removing the kind of account that I have on it and the pricing for what they offer is a 150% higher yearly cost then I pay now.
    The cost for keeping the files and everything is to high for me to pay myself.

It will cost €300/year to keep the files/pages.
    However I also know that the pages are outdated as almost noone anylonger are using DVD's

Just wanted to let you all know

Regards

//Håkan
    Pioneer FAQ http://pioneerfaq.info : Please visit the sponsors
    @Twitter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hkan View Post
    almost noone anylonger are using DVD's
    Don't talk rubbish.

Market data published by Forbes showed that the aging, low-definition DVD format still accounts for 57.9 percent of physical media sales, and 4K Blu-rays are only 5.3 percent.
    Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-...a-report-says/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Hkan View Post
    almost noone anylonger are using DVD's
    Don't talk rubbish.

Market data published by Forbes showed that the aging, low-definition DVD format still accounts for 57.9 percent of physical media sales, and 4K Blu-rays are only 5.3 percent.
    Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-...a-report-says/
    Yup. DVD is still very much with us.

DVD was introduced in 1997 and was one of the most successful consumer electronics products in history. Blu-Ray, by contrast, never really took off.

I've been shooting in HD since 2005 and usually deliver 30-100 DVD copies of my work. In the last fourteen years I have received exactly zero requests for Blu-Ray. Obviously people want HD, but I provide my HD copies on a thumb drive, which people simply plug into the USB port on their TV and then play. I also deliver HD via streaming.

Despite its obviously inferior resolution compared to true HD, DVD made from HD material still looks very good on a 55" or smaller screen, and its menus, convenience, and longevity still make it a winner.

Of course its use is waning, but its decline is very, very slow, and I expect it will still be in use, to some degree, for at least another decade. By contrast, VHS went away in a matter of a few years, as did vinyl records (although the latter never entirely went away, and has made a minor resurgence).
    Quote Quote