VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I知 trying to screen record a 1080p video (in full screen) with a frame rate of 25, data rate of 2115kbps, and total bitrate of 2243kbps. My OBS record settings are in high quality medium size, mp4, and hardware. The video settings are in 1080, bicubic downscale, and 30 FPS. After multiple trials, I found that recording in 30 FPS produces the best quality. 25 will glitch and even 30 glitches sometimes. However, even when the video playback appears to be fine in my media player, when I open up the video to edit in sony Vegas, the video preview will glitch and sometimes produce a black screen. This generally happens during scenes involving any sort of fast motion. I知 sure this problem has to do with my OBS settings, as Sony Vegas doesn稚 glitch with properly downloaded videos. The video isn稚 a game (which has much faster and more condensed animation) so I知 quite frustrated as to why the recording is still glitching. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    not sure, you dont mentioned it, but i suppose you are using Nvenc HEVC in OBS. I found it somehow broken on my 1070TI probably broader problem. So for capturing of videos i am using Nvenc H.264. So if you make your bitrate higher say 3500 and 4000, you should have less problems. I assume only you are using Hevc. Because it looks more cool and is most recent. But for trying to switch to H.264 you cant lost nothing. Never have problems with Nvenc H.264. With OBS and Nvenc Hevc many problems.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello,

Do you mean the streaming or recording encoder? For recording, I was using hardware, and for streaming I was using software. The bitrate was set at 2500. Since I知 only screen recording would that be using the recording or streaming function? I thought it was just recording? I知 not 100% sure of the difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i am talking about recording. I just recording my gameplays for no reason. Turning to be creative so probably will stream. But Hardware if you mean GPU most probably Nvenc, i noticed simply Nvenc HEVC (H.265) is glitchy. I dont know why, therefore seems to me be problematic. I mean in OBS.
    Hardware GPU, there is Nvenc H.264 and Nvenc H.265 (HEVC) which is more effective, supported only for recording, not supported on twitch youtube or anywhere. So GPU Hevc recording i got glitches and therefore using less effective but for me non problematic Nvenc H.264 (AVC1 or how is it called properly).

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for new comment.
    This is capture with Nvenc HEVC in OBS. To see glitches. It isnt fault on Keyframe but on some other type so P frame is faulty, because there are not B frame as far as i know on Pascal cards.
    https://streamable.com/bkam1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is it variable frame rate ?

What does mediainfo (view=>text) say about the recording ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @poisondeathray

No no, i hate VRF, so i dont use it. It is CFR 60FPS. Probably variable bitrate, but got issues with NVENC HEVC in OBS all the time, so dont using it for recording. I used quality and bitrate max about 10K +/- dont remember exactly. Now recording to Nvenc H.264 with bitrate max around 16k and no any glitch ever.
    Also O.P. imported his video to Vegas, so it seems to me high bitrate doesnt matter, so if he found Nvenc H.264 no problematic i cant see reason not using it.
    !!!
    Dont know if question was on my posted video, probably not, because easy to check it. Realized late = now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Is it variable frame rate ?

I don't think OBS allows VFR, it certainly does not default to that. One reason why I like OBS over the AMD ReLive program.

Anyway, OP you should tell us your hardware specs. CPU and GPU models?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

[Attachment 49544 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 49545 - Click to enlarge]

first is original video info, second is my recording. Audio components can be ignored--I only need the video to work.
    Last edited by Silverleaf16; 14th Jul 2019 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

I don't think OBS allows VFR, it certainly does not default to that. One reason why I like OBS over the AMD ReLive program.

Anyway, OP you should tell us your hardware specs. CPU and GPU models?
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Let me know if you need anything else!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I guess you are encoding with Intel QuickSync, based on your hardware and the recording mediainfo. The only thing I can think to do is reduce the size of the GOP, as you currently have it set to N=90 which @30fps is 3 seconds per GOP. I learned the hard way that Adobe PP doesn't like HEVC GOPs large than 2 seconds, but I would never expect any modern programs to have an trouble with H.264 content (which you are using). So maybe have a GOP of 2 second or 1 second. Also check your toubled video files in a different media to look for these errors, like VLC or MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    So I guess you are encoding with Intel QuickSync, based on your hardware and the recording mediainfo. The only thing I can think to do is reduce the size of the GOP, as you currently have it set to N=90 which @30fps is 3 seconds per GOP. I learned the hard way that Adobe PP doesn't like HEVC GOPs large than 2 seconds, but I would never expect any modern programs to have an trouble with H.264 content (which you are using). So maybe have a GOP of 2 second or 1 second. Also check your toubled video files in a different media to look for these errors, like VLC or MPC-HC.
    How/where would I change the GOP? Also, I was wondering in general if it's feasible/advisable to edit screen-recorded footage with more professional video editors such as sony vegas or adobe premiere. Would the quality produced still be maintainable at 1080?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the encoding settings menu, in OBS, you can change how many second between GOPs. Maybe try 2 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Image
    [Attachment 49604 - Click to enlarge]

Do you mean what's highlighted in yellow (not blue)? If so, what would I type in?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Change it to advanced view, and change the Keyframe interval.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OBS.png
Views:	205
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	49663
    Quote Quote