VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm trying to deinterlace laserdisc footage.
    It's usually an easy process - I usually just TIVTC using tfm() and tdecimate().

But for this movie I'm not getting any results. Since TIVTC wasn't working, I thought it may have been blended from a PAL source, so I tried the following:

QTGMC(Preset= "Slow")
    srestore(frate=25)

But this didn't work, either. I'm beginning to think it isn't interlaced, and it's just some kind of ghosting. I attached a clip of the original footage with no filters applied. Thanks in advance!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by TheCatacomb; 6th Jul 2019 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The video was previously blend deinterlaced. So there's no combing, just blended frames. The blend deinterlace an often be undone with FixBlendIVTC(). But why does it have an NTSC frame size (720x480) but PAL frame rate (25 fps)? There's something more going on here. I suspect the video was originally 30i, then blend deinterlaced and decimated to 25 fps. The video needs to be recaptured.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You sure you didn't screw something up in the capture? It's 720x480 yet 25fps? And how did Handbrake get its grubby paws on it? You've reencoded it already?

Edit: jagabo beat me to it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apologies. I edited my original post to include the original clip.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    And how did Handbrake get its grubby paws on it? You've reencoded it already?

Edit: jagabo beat me to it.
    I used Handbrake to get it to x264. But here's the MagicYUV clip I made in virtualdub.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's still got blended frames. It's hard to believe a commercial LD would have that. Are you sure you're capturing right?

For the clip as it is try:

Code:
    AviSource("ld.avi")
    FixBlendIVTC()
    TDecimate()
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FixBlendIVTC
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

For the clip as it is try:

Code:
    AviSource("ld.avi")
    FixBlendIVTC()
    TDecimate()
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FixBlendIVTC
    Wow, that looks so much better. I tried it on the rest of the movie and it's a marked improvement.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's still got blended frames. It's hard to believe a commercial LD would have that. Are you sure you're capturing right?
    IVTC works just fine on my other captures, and I've seen another capture of this film with the same problems. There must be something wrong with the original disc? To be honest, as a collector of old Hong Kong films, it's not the first time I've seen this issue on VHS, LD or even DVD. It's just the first time I came across it while working on a project.
    Quote Quote