VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This astonishing BBC interview I would very much like to keep.

And I guess I can with OBS at least. But I would like to do it with youtube-dl however I don't know how to get an URL for it that works.

Can anyone help with that?

Here's the vid, how this woman ever got that job I don't know....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9398338/bbc-host-brexit-bias-interview-wetherspoons-boss/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use Developer Tools in a browser (F12) to get the m3u8 URL of the video (press F12, reload the web page, play the video, look on the Network tab). Then:

Code:
    youtube-dl https://manifest.prod.boltdns.net/manifest/v1/hls/v4/aes128/5067014667001/ef8905aa-93cf-4c31-be1d-127996c7ca24/10s/master.m3u8?fastly_token=NWQ0NjAyNDhfODhjYmYzOTUwMDI1ZGNiZDU4YjVmNTQ2YjY5YzE0MGNkZmFlMDk3NzYyNTU3YTY3MWMwNzgzY2JkOWRhZjIwNg%3D%3D
    The URL may change periodically so you may need to get a fresh one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot.

I'm not able to identify the m3u8 URL. I have got the tools thing up at the bottom of the page via F12 but from those listings I don't see any 'm3u8' anywhere. Is that what I should be looking for? If so where would it be - in the 'Type' column perhaps?

And after I've got it then I append it to the piece of code you've provided and paste it all into powershell I guess?

Aaah... I see your code is in fact the whole thing. I pasted it in powershell and got the video. Thanks. I'll look at it all and try identify where you got it from in the F12 listing thing...

got it: Cause: xhr Type: xmpegurl. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by abrogard; 6th Jul 2019 at 18:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I'm not able to identify the m3u8 URL. I have got the tools thing up at the bottom of the page via F12 but from those listings I don't see any 'm3u8' anywhere. Is that what I should be looking for? If so where would it be - in the 'Type' column perhaps?
    Developer Tools lets you filter the results -- just enter m3u8 in the filter. m3u8 appears in the URL (you can see it in the URL I posted). The Type column for this video shows "x-mpegurl". There may be several. You usually want the first.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. I guess I'll be using this method a bit in the future... it's not unusual for me to be unable to download stuff just like this one, that I'm led to by news articles..

Perhaps they'll all be amenable to this treatment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    Thanks again. I guess I'll be using this method a bit in the future... it's not unusual for me to be unable to download stuff just like this one, that I'm led to by news articles..

Perhaps they'll all be amenable to this treatment.
    Some other extensions include m3u and mpd. Sometimes even a link to the actual mp4 or ts file.

Some sites detect when Developer Tools is running (by how fast the browser loads the web page, Developer Tools slows it down) and stop loading before the m3u8 URL is fetched. So it doesn't work everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, thanks. So it looks like a kinda continuing struggle.....
    Quote Quote