VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Right, so here's one.

I install Vegas on a 2008 era Lenovo ThinkPad rocking a 2.53GHz Core2 Duo, crappy dedicated graphics (256MB video memory), 4GB DDR3 (probably the slowest on the market around the time I got that laptop), works perfectly, maybe just a wee bit slow (especially running video through the DebugMode Frameserver through QTGMC, but that's slow by default, let alone on a dual core processor from 2008).

Some years later, Dell desktop. 3.4GHz i5 (circa 2015, bought on clearance in 2016 to edit HVX200 video), the "finest integrated graphics" from Intel, and 12GB DDR3. Same story, works fine, just a wee bit slow (and Windows 10).

Somewhere between all of this, I scored a laptop rocking some nVidia thing and 12GB DDR4. Vegas worked perfectly with the frameserver, but Windows 10 updates kept making the experience unstable (no Vegas problems, just OS problems, it's in the past/has been sold).

Here I am now, I have a HP desktop. 3.6GHz Core i7-7700, the "finest integrated graphics" from Intel, and 16GB DDR4. This time though, I got it to use the DebugMode Frameserver and it worked a total of once, but now after changing a total of zero things (no hyperbole, I promise), it's no longer able to do any rendering (or frameserving) without crashing and flashing up a "Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)". I reiterate, it worked once right before this.

Anything would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've used Vegas since version 4 and had over 6,000 posts over at the SonicFoundry/Sony forum before it was sold to Magix. What I found from all that time in their forum is that most crashing is caused by third-party extensions or GPU. I would turn off the GPU, both for timeline performance, and for rendering. Then, if you have any extensions, uninstall them. If disabling ALL GPU functions gives you stability, then you have to look at what driver version you are using. Vegas is really touchy about driver versions.

Look for posts by Nick Hope, both at the Vegas forum and on his own web page. He lives in Thailand and has a fantastic page which shows his spectacular underwater video, but he also has all sorts of Vegas hints on that page, including information on drivers, and what versions to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What is your source? For HDV video the best version ever, before it started to glitch here or there is Vegas Pro 8.0c Even frame server worked without any bug (audio bug). But not sure if win10 would knock it out.
    Not for H.264 video of course.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    What is your source? For HDV video the best version ever, before it started to glitch here or there is Vegas Pro 8.0c Even frame server worked without any bug (audio bug). But not sure if win10 would knock it out.
    Not for H.264 video of course.
    Yes, 8.0c was the last of the old-line code, and solid as a rock. At the very end of that version's upgrades, they experimented with a GPU assist and 64-bit version, but that new code was incredibly buggy.

Unfortunately, is was also a harbinger of things to come.
    Quote Quote