VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

as an old newbie (), I ask strange questions, don't I?
    Well, I regularly buy BDs with English subs, and, because I am French (nobody's perfect), I would like to read them WITHOUT RIPPING on a standalone BD-player AND at the same time read French subs, for example from a USB-key.
    I believe this is not possible for the moment, but I write the question nevertheless, we never know.

It would be great to rewatch this nice Bollywood, for instance:

with these subtitles: http://www.bollynook.com/en/bollywood-movie-subtitles/5734/kabhi-khushi-kabhie-gham/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, it isn't possible to display external subtitles using a stand-alone Blu-ray player to play a Blu-ray disc. First, stand-alone Blu-ray players don't support playback from multiple sources at the same time. Second, Blu-ray disc playback follows a specification developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association for the sake of uniformity across all players. External subtitles are not part of the spec.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On a standalone no, even on a PC licensed software like power DVD won't allow it on encrypted discs. Sorry there isn't a better answer to give.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get hold of a Media player and transfer the BD disc into a MKV container to the HDD. The Media player should recognise both internal subs and external, with the same name. So no you can't add external subs to a standalone BD/DVD player. MakeMKV is a simple program and doesn't alter the picture quality. Quality in = quality out and Size in = size out
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet and dannyboy48888, you confirm what I thought, nevermind, I'll proceed differently, thanks for your answers.

Hi netmask56, well, makemkv is not a freeware, I won't use it.

So here how I'll do:
    DVDFab to rip the BD, merge the files with tsmuxer (if I use mkvmerge, there is an audio delay)
    Check if the srt file is synchronized with the video and audio files (if not, synchronize with Subtitle Workshop for instance).
    Put both the video streams and the subs on a USB device, with the same names for the files (KKKG.m2ts and KKKG.fre.srt)
    And read them via my EMTEC Movie Cube.

It will be long, it will use many Gigas (43 for the movie), but it works.

Thanks anyway
    Quote Quote  
  6. dvd fab isn't free too
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Patapin View Post
    Hi usually_quiet and dannyboy48888, you confirm what I thought, nevermind, I'll proceed differently, thanks for your answers.

Hi netmask56, well, makemkv is not a freeware, I won't use it.

So here how I'll do:
    DVDFab to rip the BD, merge the files with tsmuxer (if I use mkvmerge, there is an audio delay)
    Check if the srt file is synchronized with the video and audio files (if not, synchronize with Subtitle Workshop for instance).
    Put both the video streams and the subs on a USB device, with the same names for the files (KKKG.m2ts and KKKG.fre.srt)
    And read them via my EMTEC Movie Cube.

It will be long, it will use many Gigas (43 for the movie), but it works.

Thanks anyway
    MakeMKV is absolutely free - you just have to renew the license every few months. The author publishes the details when there is an update. You can get it from Videohelp.com in the Tools section... DVDFab is payware. The advantage of MakeMKV is it doesn't re-encode so it's quick and free
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, netmask56.
    (Sorry, I just noticed that you had posted)

I'll retry makemkv. Have a nice day.
    Quote Quote  
  9. All Oppo UDH and Blu ray player have this feature. I can confirm(on my bdp 93) that you can play an official blu ray disc and have a subtitle srt file on a usb stick(file needs to be in a folder sub and be named sub.srt) Then you can choose the external subtitle with the subtitle button on the remote control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dragoncheef View Post
    All Oppo UDH and Blu ray player have this feature. I can confirm(on my bdp 93) that you can play an official blu ray disc and have a subtitle srt file on a usb stick(file needs to be in a folder sub and be named sub.srt) Then you can choose the external subtitle with the subtitle button on the remote control.
    Yes they do - it definitely works on the oppo 203 with UHDs also. The external subtitle playback actually gives you a wide range of options too, like color, size etc, so you can make them look so much better than most studio subtitle tracks on discs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oppo recently stopped making UHD Blu-ray players and Blu-ray players. Used Oppos are selling for incredible prices. For example, I recently saw listings for used UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players offering them at 3 times the price of the original $549 MSRP.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Oppo recently stopped making UHD Blu-ray players and Blu-ray players. Used Oppos are selling for incredible prices. For example, I recently saw listings for used UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players offering them at 3 times the price of the original $549 MSRP.
    Yeah it is a shame.

There is apparently one other manufacturer that does it but it might be limited to a region. The Panasonic 9000 in the Chinese release has the ability to load external srt subs I've been told via avsforum, but haven't been able to confirm.
    Quote Quote