VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The title might be a little misleading, but it's difficult to put the problem in few words. I am working with a PAL DVD who has progressive video stored interlaced, so no deinterlacing nor field matching required. However there is one scene that displays combing artifacts, but not due to interlaced video. It's a scene that was obviously shot on green screen, and I believe the video was not deinterlaced correctly during post-production. You can see the combing in the following frame.

[Attachment 49480 - Click to enlarge]

Is there any algorithm that can help me clean-up this scene? I've tried TFM, and QTGMC (with InputType=1 and InputType=2) without any success. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vinverse() ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Vinverse() ?
    Didn't know about this plugin. Tried it, but it had no visible effect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Vinverse should have done the trick if - IF - it hasn't been resized improperly somewhere along the way.

If you bob it with Yadif(Mode=1) or QTGMC and still see the interlacing, then it's already been resized and your choices become severely limited.

If bobbing it gets rid of the interlacing, then you might try:

QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2)

for just that section alone.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If it's been resized and it's interlaced and QTGMC doesn't do a good job, try blend de-interlacing instead.

Something like TDeint(Type=4) or even TFM(pp=2)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes... it seems the clip was resized incorrectly. The combing artifacts are 2 px high. None of the proposed solutions work sadly. The only idea I have would be to select only half the lines and apply some deinterlacing on that... even though the resolution will suffer massively. Is that even possible?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You'll have to upload a video sample (don't reencode).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you bob it followed by SelectEven or SelectOdd, depending on which looks better, and deinterlace it only for that section. But I doubt it'll work.

hello_hello has one solution, although nothing will make it look good again. You could also try downsizing that section followed by upsizing it again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here's a sample https://mega.nz/#!xwZwhIbR!aCcPCp2lSOFAjlv8xuzyikO4JTRiAqOOLZHqQp6zqoU

I will try resizing, but my best bet is probably to just leave it as is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This gets rid of most of it:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    vInverse()
    Weave()
    Following with a temporal denoiser can get rid of the rest. To be safe I'd use the procedure only on the problematic shots.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    This gets rid of most of it:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    vInverse()
    Weave()
    Following with a temporal denoiser can get rid of the rest. To be safe I'd use the procedure only on the problematic shots.
    Yes, that's not too bad actually! Thanks.
    Quote Quote