VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The main thing(s) I (used to) download from youtube are/were just for the music. Now its such a pita to d/l anything, in my experience.

Would there be an easy/easier way to just d/l the audio portion? (d/l mp3 or d/l & convert to)

In the past I have easily d/l'd music vids from them, but no more, , , , ,

I am not talking new or newer music, I'm talking '50's-'60's + early '70's rock. I'm livin' in the past! (I am 72 now)

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. youtube-dl --format bestaudio "url"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    youtube-dl --format bestaudio "url"
    URLs should better not be enclosed in quote characters though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx, I'll give it a try
    -c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Carla Ramirez
    Search Comp PM
    Another online converter is savefrom, youtubeconverter and others
    All is possible!
    I watch movies
    Quote Quote  
  6. Online converters constantly get broken or disappear (and are full of egregious ads if not using ad-blocking extensions), while youtube-dl has been consistently updated for years and is unlikely to vanish anytime soon.
    To get more control, first type :
    Code:
    youtube-dl -F [link]
    => It works like that if the “youtube-dl.exe” file is in the same directory from which the command is launched in the command prompt, or in a directory included in Windows “PATH”. Otherwise it's required to type the full path, for instance, “"C:\CLI tools\youtube-dl.exe" -F ” (quotation marks are required if there is a space in the path).
    This will list all the available formats. Usually the m4a audio is "140", so you then type :
    Code:
    youtube-dl -f 140 -o "H:\YouTube - %(title)s [%(id)s].m4a"
    => The case is important : upper case -F just lists the available formats, while lower case -f actually downloads the specified format.)
    => The “-o ...” part is optional, it allows to customize the file name with various available templates.
    => If it no longer works, it probably means that YouTube's layout has changed somehow, in which case updating youtube-dl with the command “youtube-dl -U” usually solves the problem.

A much more complex software which may be easier to use (graphic user interface), and is also regularly updated (at least its platform-specific plugins) : JDownloader2. It automatically checks the clipboard for relevant links, and lists whatever downloadable content it finds, and so for a YT link it includes the audio-only stream (m4a). But at some point it started to fail with many YT videos, so I stopped using it for those and now only use youtube-dl.
    Or there are small programs which are just GUI layers for youtube-dl, which may be more “user friendly” but have limited options compared with the CLI.
    Quote Quote