VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The main thing(s) I (used to) download from youtube are/were just for the music. Now its such a pita to d/l anything, in my experience.

Would there be an easy/easier way to just d/l the audio portion? (d/l mp3 or d/l & convert to)

In the past I have easily d/l'd music vids from them, but no more, , , , ,

I am not talking new or newer music, I'm talking '50's-'60's + early '70's rock. I'm livin' in the past! (I am 72 now)

-corne-
    Cranky Old Man
    Quote Quote  
  2. youtube-dl --format bestaudio "url"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    youtube-dl --format bestaudio "url"
    URLs should better not be enclosed in quote characters though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx, I'll give it a try
    -c-
    Cranky Old Man
    Quote Quote  
  5. Carla Ramirez
    Search Comp PM
    Another online converter is savefrom, youtubeconverter and others
    All is possible!
    I watch movies
    Quote Quote  
  6. Online converters constantly get broken or disappear (and are full of egregious ads if not using ad-blocking extensions), while youtube-dl has been consistently updated for years and is unlikely to vanish anytime soon.
    To get more control, first type :
    Code:
    youtube-dl -F [link]
    => It works like that if the “youtube-dl.exe” file is in the same directory from which the command is launched in the command prompt, or in a directory included in Windows “PATH”. Otherwise it's required to type the full path, for instance, “"C:\CLI tools\youtube-dl.exe" -F ” (quotation marks are required if there is a space in the path).
    This will list all the available formats. Usually the m4a audio is "140", so you then type :
    Code:
    youtube-dl -f 140 -o "H:\YouTube - %(title)s [%(id)s].m4a"
    => The case is important : upper case -F just lists the available formats, while lower case -f actually downloads the specified format.)
    => The “-o ...” part is optional, it allows to customize the file name with various available templates.
    => If it no longer works, it probably means that YouTube's layout has changed somehow, in which case updating youtube-dl with the command “youtube-dl -U” usually solves the problem.

A much more complex software which may be easier to use (graphic user interface), and is also regularly updated (at least its platform-specific plugins) : JDownloader2. It automatically checks the clipboard for relevant links, and lists whatever downloadable content it finds, and so for a YT link it includes the audio-only stream (m4a). But at some point it started to fail with many YT videos, so I stopped using it for those and now only use youtube-dl.
    Or there are small programs which are just GUI layers for youtube-dl, which may be more “user friendly” but have limited options compared with the CLI.
    Quote Quote