VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi
    From time to time, amateur tough, I need to take some videos demonstrating my work and skill,
    something like un-boxing a product but from my first person point of view (not showing my face)
    Since it's amateur, I don't want to invest a lot on the equipment, 2k or 4k resolution is preferred, but not needed. However, I hope at least 720 or 1080p resolution. Any advice for budget-wise beginner?

In most cases, my video will be taken indoor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Point-of-view videos are often taken with an "action camera," like a GoPro. You strap it to your head so the viewer sees exactly what you are seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You probably don't want to use a camera strapped to your head for POV unboxing videos. It will be jiggling around all the time. Mount it on a stand over your head, or over the product.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You probably don't want to use a camera strapped to your head for POV unboxing videos. It will be jiggling around all the time. Mount it on a stand over your head, or over the product.
    Yes, any recommendation on stand to use?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Go to youtube.com and search for "making unboxing videos". You'll find lots of helpful videos. Some people use a smartphone on a tripod sitting in front of them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You probably don't want to use a camera strapped to your head for POV unboxing videos. It will be jiggling around all the time. Mount it on a stand over your head, or over the product.
    This depends quite a bit on which camera you are using. I have a Sony AS100 Action Cam. It has pretty decent stabilization built in, and is equivalent in most ways to a GoPro, except that (for its age) it produces better-quality video than the GoPros of that era. GoPros of that era had no stabilization built in and instead relied entirely on having a super-wide angle lens which, of course, minimizes the impact of the camera movement.

Here is a video I created with it which will demonstrate exactly what I posted above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwh50nWeuE

Note that the viewer sees exactly what I was seeing. My own impression is that the camera shake is not an issue.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 27th Jun 2019 at 12:02. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Oh Yes. I will not take "Action" video in most cases. In most cases I will take POV unboxing video

So you guys don't recommend Action camera like GoPro right?

The problem is I don't know what stand to be used for taking POV unboxing video from height? (which should not mount to the ceiling)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    Oh Yes. I will not take "Action" video in most cases. In most cases I will take POV unboxing video

Didn't you read what I wrote?? That (using an action camera strapped to your head) was exactly what I recommended, and it is also what I said I used for that video showing how to light chips for BBQ smoking.

If you instead want to follow some of the other advice already given, just get a tripod. Any sort of tripod will work.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just love my remote control for starting and stopping videos..
    If you are zoomed out there is no jiggle at the beginning and end...
    Mine came with the camcorder but you can buy after market remotes..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    How can I take steady video like what I see from my eye? Example below

both hands free , but the video is stable (It doesn't show here). If they are using action camera strapped on the head, probably not stable because of head movement

gif upload
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Surely, you have heard of a tripod. Or, in the case of overhead shots, there are some inexpensive methods. Google "DIY overhead camera mount." Here's something to look at for starters...

https://www.diyphotography.net/three-ways-mount-camera-overhead-stills-video/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Surely, you have heard of a tripod. Or, in the case of overhead shots, there are some inexpensive methods. Google "DIY overhead camera mount." Here's something to look at for starters...

https://www.diyphotography.net/three-ways-mount-camera-overhead-stills-video/
    I am bad at DIY.... I would rather purchase something, anything recommended on Amazon?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Can it attach to any mobile phones and take POV video?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post

Didn't you read what I wrote?? That (using an action camera strapped to your head) was exactly what I recommended, and it is also what I said I used for that video showing how to light chips for BBQ smoking.

If you instead want to follow some of the other advice already given, just get a tripod. Any sort of tripod will work.
    Action camera strapped to head is not what I want. Any slight head movement will certainly affect the video. I need stable POV video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    This depends quite a bit on which camera you are using. I have a Sony AS100 Action Cam. It has pretty decent stabilization built in, and is equivalent in most ways to a GoPro, except that (for its age) it produces better-quality video than the GoPros of that era. GoPros of that era had no stabilization built in and instead relied entirely on having a super-wide angle lens which, of course, minimizes the impact of the camera movement.

Here is a video I created with it which will demonstrate exactly what I posted above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwh50nWeuE

Note that the viewer sees exactly what I was seeing. My own impression is that the camera shake is not an issue.
    I just watched your youtube link. but it shakes a lot. If I sit and work on a table, will it shake too? Is it strapped to the head?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    I just watched your youtube link. but it shakes a lot.
    It does??
    If I sit and work on a table, will it shake too?
    I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Is it strapped to the head?
    Yes, I strapped it to my head.

Look, if you want perfectly stable video, just get a tripod and start doing your work. You really don't need to post any more here. We are going around in circles.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    still waiting for some real constructive recommendation instead of loser or haters
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    still waiting for some real constructive recommendation instead of loser or haters
    You have received nothing but helpful advice. That comment is very unkind and will likely result in you getting no more help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Can it attach to any mobile phones and take POV video?
    You would need a mount designed for your smartphone and that has a female 1/4-20 UNC thread on the bottom. 1/4-20 UNC is the most common female screw on camera equipment like DSLRs, but obviously smartphones need special adaptor mounts.
    Quote Quote  
  20. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/KobraTech-Cell-Phone-Tripod-Mount/dp/B06VXJMMQ3/

Note the video there shows the adapter in use with what appears to be that same tripod.

But a floor standing tripod or a mount that clamps onto the desk may work better for you, depending on your setup.
    Quote Quote