VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I am training currently on editing subtitles and I working on netflix norms.

I am using Subtitle Edit (free software) and I managed to define SC shot changes n the software thanks to another thread in the forum here.

My question is this:

I am editing SRt files, and they go by timestamps and not framerates. Sometimes I am required to set the In-time of the subtitle 5 frames before the Shot Change, but the audiowave is showing timing in seconds and not frames. So How can I define them please?

[Attachment 49469 - Click to enlarge]

This is screenshot is a subtitle and the white line is the SC. So in case I need to set the In-time of a subtitle 5 frames before SC, how can I do that? Or how can I know to set it please?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'll assume this is for PAL 25fps video. 5 frames is 20% of the 25fps. Therefore 5 frames before the scene change is 20% of a second or 200ms. Set it 200ms before the scene change

Seems like kind of a lot to me. If I were doing it I'd only make sure it doesn't go into the next scene.

I'm also assuming In-Time is the same as End-Time or Stop-Time and Shot Change is the same as Scene Change
    Quote Quote  
  3. Code:
    time = frame number * frame duration
    So frame number 12345 of a 25 fps (duration = 1/25 = 0.04 sec) film is

Code:
    time = 12345 * 0.040s
    time = 493.8 s
    time = 8 m 13.8 s
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I'll assume this is for PAL 25fps video. 5 frames is 20% of the 25fps. Therefore 5 frames before the scene change is 20% of a second or 200ms. Set it 200ms before the scene change

Seems like kind of a lot to me. If I were doing it I'd only make sure it doesn't go into the next scene.

I'm also assuming In-Time is the same as End-Time or Stop-Time and Shot Change is the same as Scene Change
    Hi, thank you for your reply here. Your assumptions are correct regarding those specs. Yes, the In-time is the appearance timing and End-time is the dieappearance timing, Shot change is scene change, that's what I meant.

Making sure it does'nt go to the next scene is not enough, Netflix specified some particular parameters, you can find them on their website to see here:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/219375728-English-Template-Ti...xt-Style-Guide

Go directly to timings (Shot Change)

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Code:

Code:
    time = 12345 * 0.040s
    time = 493.8 s
    time = 8 m 13.8 s
    Hi, thank you for your help. I get the equation you gave me, but I didn't get the part of 12345 frame number! I mean I have timings in seconds, should I convert to a format that goes with frames?

Thank you for helping already.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Code:

Code:
    time = 12345 * 0.040s
    time = 493.8 s
    time = 8 m 13.8 s
    Hi again,

I was checkng the code you gave me and the only thing I am not getting is the frame number.
    My video is 25 FPS. From where can I know the frame number please?

Thank in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you for the NetFlix subtitle requirements link. I found it informative as to how professional subbers are required to do the work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the NetFlix subtitle requirements link. I found it informative as to how professional subbers are required to do the work.
    No problem.

In your earlier reply I asked to set 5 frames before SC and you said that 5 frames is 20% so 200 Ms is the correct value for 5 frames before SC

Let's say that I want to define 7 frames before or after SC, should the same thing apply please?

Please help me in this, I am weak somehow in calcutations.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by subtitler View Post
    Let's say that I want to define 7 frames before or after SC, should the same thing apply please?
    It's easy. Divide the number of frames by the framerate:

7/25=0.28

Convert that to ms. 280ms. Or, once you know that each frame lasts for 40ms at 25fps (1/25=0.04), multiply that by the number of frames:

0.04x7=0.28

1 second=1000ms, 0.04 second=40ms, 0.28 second=280ms
    Quote Quote  
  9. The example I gave earlier was a way to convert absolute frame number to time. The same equation works for relative calculations. If you have at an event at time SC but need to know the time 7 frames earlier just subtract the result of the equation:

Code:
    New Time = SC - (7 * 0.04)
    New Time = SC - 0.28.

for example, if SC = 1:23.45, New Time = 1:23.17
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by subtitler View Post
    It's easy. Divide the number of frames by the framerate:

7/25=0.28

Convert that to ms. 280ms. Or, once you know that each frame lasts for 40ms at 25fps (1/25=0.04), multiply that by the number of frames:

0.04x7=0.28

1 second=1000ms, 0.04 second=40ms, 0.28 second=280ms
    OK, I got this point, thanks.

==========

The example I gave earlier was a way to convert absolute frame number to time. The same equation works for relative calculations. If you have at an event at time SC but need to know the time 7 frames earlier just subtract the result of the equation:

Code:
    New Time = SC - (7 * 0.04)
    New Time = SC - 0.28.

for example, if SC = 1:23.45, New Time = 1:23.17
    So far I get you, but where does that value of frame number (12345) comes from please? How to define it?

Also, guys, assuming now that I have defined that 7 frames equal 280 Ms. How can I define that 280 Ms on Subtitle Edit? Any ideas about this please?

Thank very much for your help so far. I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by subtitler View Post
    So far I get you, but where does that value of frame number (12345) comes from please? How to define it?
    It's just a random frame number I picked to use as an example. Frame number 12345 of a 25 fps video starts at 8 m 13.8 s into the video (assuming the video starts at 0).

Also, guys, assuming now that I have defined that 7 frames equal 280 Ms.
    You haven't defined 7 frames as equal to 280 ms. You've determined that 7 frames is 280ms using the given equation.

How can I define that 280 Ms on Subtitle Edit?
    You subtract 280 ms from your reference time.
    Quote Quote