VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I am able to play my 3D Bluray discs on my PC using PowerDVD connected to my Sony 3D TV.
    But the quality of 3D movie is not anything near the quality of my Sony BDV-E6100 Home Theater.
    Using Sony player I get sharp 3D picture quality and foreground and background.
    Using PowerDVD specially background objects are terrible, the whole thing seems messy.
    If anyone has tested, please let me know if this is the limitation of all software 3D players or just PowerDVD sucks?
    I tested different 3D options in PowerDVD and no luck (using chess back and linear mode).
    So if other software players are able to decode 3D movies like hardware players, what is the best one in 3D quality? Surely it's not from Cyberlink!
    * Please don't introduce 3D BD players, I know some, just introduce the best 3D rendering one(s) that you have tested.
    Thanks for advise
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    afaik the only way to play "real" 3d blurays is direct from a hardware bluray 3d player to a 3d tv over a decent hdmi 1.4 or above connection that has the ability to send the full frame packing(double) lossless 1080p. sbs or top/bottom mkv might work ok from a computer to 3d tv. but, it's a dead format anyway. unless sony, samsung or lg decide to revive it sometime in the future.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I also connected via a HDMI 1.4 High Speed cable and my graphics is also Asus GTX1080, I'm sure my PC is not low end, it's not MKV it's real genuine 3D Bluray discs. So is there a better 3D BD player than PowerDVD around?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A real home blu-ray player with 3d capabilities.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 6, released in 2014, was supposed to be a better 3D Blu-ray player, but Arcsoft stopped selling it and providing support for it not long after it came out. The last official version released by Arcsoft doesn't function on a modern system running Windows 10.

There are only two other commercial Blu-ray player apps to choose from in addition to PowerDVD which are still under development and offer 3D playback. However, I don't have a 3D TV or monitor and have no idea if either is better for 3D Blu-ray playback than Power DVD Ultra.

Like Power DVD Ultra, WinDVD Pro 12 is licensed by the Blu-ray Disc Association. DVD Fab Player 5 Ultra, the other choice, is unlicensed software developed by a company that is also responsible for a popular ripping app.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2019 at 11:41. Reason: clarified comments on commercial Blu-ray player apps
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Having contributed to your earlier thread, I seem to recall you are also using an external blu ray drive.

Dare I say that the connection to your PC/Laptop? may influence the quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure your blu-ray drive is capable of reading 3d discs? most pc drives are not. there are a couple like this one that comes with a special 3d version of powerdvd. https://www.newegg.com/lg-bh16ns40-internal-blu-ray-burner/p/N82E16827136264
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the topic I inferred to

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393521-Play-3D-Bluray-Movies-on-PC

which simply states 'compatable'

But if the drive supports USB3(which may be req'd for real 3D simply on the grounds of data transfer - I simply do not know) and the PC/Laptop only supports USB2......

My only experience with 3D on BD is the red/green stuff. And the OP does not want to read about this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hey, thanks all, here's my spec, using a HDMI 1.4 high speed high quality cable!
    CPU i7 7700K
    GPU Strix GTX 1080
    Ram 64 GB 3000MHz CL15
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB SSD
    ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner (Blu-ray 3D support)
    https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW12D1SU/

My TV is Sony 42" 3DTV with 3D Glasses which I use as monitor

PowerDVD Ultra Last Version

My drive supports BD as well, I just want a better 3D BD rendering quality than PowerDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you blame PowerDVD for all your issues (in the other topic most of the issues were of your own doing), forget the specs that you have repeated of your system and look more closely at the USB support.

Is this, as I suspect, a laptop/notebook. And does it support USB3 (which has a significantly faster data rate than USB2)

Even if the hdmi cable is 1.4 and the PC/Laptop only supports 1.2 there will be an impact.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Before you blame PowerDVD for all your issues (in the other topic most of the issues were of your own doing), forget the specs that you have repeated of your system and look more closely at the USB support.

Is this, as I suspect, a laptop/notebook. And does it support USB3 (which has a significantly faster data rate than USB2)

Even if the hdmi cable is 1.4 and the PC/Laptop only supports 1.2 there will be an impact.
    How do you suspect a 7700K is in a laptop?!
    As far as I know there's just Eurocom which is doing that.

And if I was such stupid to use a USB2 rather than USB3 to connect my drive, it would affect the data transfer speed, not the 3D rendering quality. So if you use a USB 1 you will see the DVD like a VHS tape? or with lags in playing? Are you sure you understand the difference between digital and analog?

I repeated the specs since someone asked if drive supports BD Playback.

Very interesting is that if cable is HDMI 1.4, how do you imagine a GTX 1080 supports only HDMI 1.2?!!!
    I'm pretty sure only ancient laptops does not have USB3 or 3.1, if you're familiar with the Intel chipset in 7th gen (7700K), you know that it supports natively USB3, and its internal graphics, even if I were not using a powerful GTX1080 GPU, was enough for playing 4K via HDMI 1.4!

This shows your lack of knowledge on hardware, but I can't get it what's the force to join to thread if you don't know something?!
    So how do you think if I change my power cord or clean my LCD display?!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tip: You can make a ISO of disc and load it in Windows 10 or older Windows using Virtual Clone Drive, if the ISO is on your primary m2 SSD, you get much more faster speed than any USB3 Bluray drive, and your drive does not work for the length of move, but just few minutes to make the ISO, of course this works only if movie is not protected.
    Quote Quote  
  13. What does the Sony TV display in OSD info when you press info (or similar) on your TV remote while playing an 3D-BD with PowerDVD?
    For example 1080p 60Hz for an external device that outputs that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Smart-arse.

If you have a PC why are depending on an external drive and not an internal one. Uo-to-date laptops/noteboos have fast cpus, graphics etc.

My comments are not about lack of knowledge but an attempt to get your proper, more complete, specs.

FYI. I built this PC many years ago. It was built around the desire to have BD playback support so I carefully chose the components including an internal drive. I have zilch interest in 3D although some of my disks have both versions on them.

And, more so, if you already have the ability to playback 3d Blu Ray why are you farting about with the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    What does the Sony TV display in OSD info when you press info (or similar) on your TV remote while playing an 3D-BD with PowerDVD?
    For example 1080p 60Hz for an external device that outputs that.
    TV just have options to simulate 2D source to 3D, and if playing 3D turn it off to show 2D, nothing can be set on TV for this matter, the player (hardware/software) must send the 3D signal so TV decide to turn on 3D mode.

It is Sony KDL-42W800B 42" BRAVIA 3D

PowerDVD can play in 3D, but it's far less than what I see using Sony BDV-E6100 player, in 2D playing both are 100$ same, but in 3D, the picture is mixed, not really 3D, scene isolation is terrible, back scene quality is messy and I though it's a software limit, but that cannot be true, a real player is a mini pc with a processor, what matter is firmware in hardware of in software the algorithm a vendor use for 3D decoding, Cyberlink is not a top notch high tech vendor, if you are a developer you know that it's pretty easy to write some players, open source or commercial SDKs are available in bulk, but the class A grade SDKs are pretty rare. And in some parts like 3D rendering, I found it pretty hard to develop, companies who can make such software to play 3D like hardware, are not doing this to sell their hardware units, and the others who use available SDKs may not do it perfectly.

I just asked if someone tried this before, and found a software to play 3D in a usable manner, introduce it to me, I have a reason for that for sure otherwise I can use my Sony player.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Ok. Smart-arse.

If you have a PC why are depending on an external drive and not an internal one. Uo-to-date laptops/noteboos have fast cpus, graphics etc.

My comments are not about lack of knowledge but an attempt to get your proper, more complete, specs.

FYI. I built this PC many years ago. It was built around the desire to have BD playback support so I carefully chose the components including an internal drive. I have zilch interest in 3D although some of my disks have both versions on them.

And, more so, if you already have the ability to playback 3d Blu Ray why are you farting about with the PC.
    My player is far from my work room, which I spend most of the day, that's why I wanna play in my room using the PC, please let me know if you did play 3D Bluray discs using PC and if the quality of 3D titles were the same as hardware players? If so, what did you use to play? If you were able to do so, and you were able to get the exact result of #d playing in PC and player I must search for other solutions, first trying another player, which don't know what to use...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like I already stated, but just to clarify, I have no interest in 3D. I have not attempted to play these disks - maybe one but that was red/green and not full 3D.

But do answer my first point about why you are using an external drive and not an internal one which, immediately, removes some potential issues.

And do read the Cyberlink system requirements since there may be something there. Software players are always a compromise. I have issues with software when playing certain disks which are well documented in these forums.

As for PowerDVD there does exist a hardware rendering option. If your GPU supports it then do seek it out.
    Quote Quote  
  18. My drive:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW12D1SU/

is actually this one:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW16D1HT/
    (12x model) with a USB 3.0 high speed enclosure!

Internal drives use SATA 3 bus, my MB has Sata 3 which theoretically supports maximum 600MBs!
    USB3 is 5Gbps which is a little FASTER than Sata3, so USB3 is faster, but I'm not sure if optical drives can use maximum bus speed.

Cyberlink has a Bluray Advisor, it tests my PC and shows that all hardware requirements are passed successfully.
    That's why I was able to play 3D, but I can't call it a real 3D, seems I just have to test the others, I'll post the result here for others' reference, and to save time for anyone who has the same problem, although 3D is not that popular, I think...
    Thanks BTW ev1
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    As for PowerDVD there does exist a hardware rendering option. If your GPU supports it then do seek it out.
    Thanks, didn't know that, will try to find and test...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was not referring to the BD Advisor but the page on the Cyberlink site

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_GB.html
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    are you sure your blu-ray drive is capable of reading 3d discs? most pc drives are not. there are a couple like this one that comes with a special 3d version of powerdvd. https://www.newegg.com/lg-bh16ns40-internal-blu-ray-burner/p/N82E16827136264
    I checked the specs for his ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner at the link omidsolo provided, https://www.asus.com/us/Optical-Drives-Storage/BW12D1SU/. It supports 3D Blu-ray according to those specs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2019 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by omidsolo View Post
    My TV is Sony 42" 3DTV with 3D Glasses which I use as monitor
    I have PowerDVD 18 Ultra. Although I have no 3D TV, I can look at the 3D settings in PowerDVD for additional places to troubleshoot.

Does your TV use passive 3D (polarized glasses) or active 3D (active shutter glasses)? There is one 3D setting for polarized glasses but there are multiple choices for active shutter glasses. If you have not already done so, verify that PowerDVD is set up correctly for the type of 3D technology that your TV uses.

I don't have an NVIDIA video card. I just have Intel Graphics. I checked to see if there are any iGPU settings related to 3D video, and there are some. You should check your NVIDIA drivers and software to be sure that you have the latest drivers and required software, and both the drivers and software are configured correctly for 3D.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks usually_quiet for advise, mine is passive so the only thing working for me is polarized, and since I have OCD, every day I check for software and driver updates! Latest!
    Since there are not many people who watch 3D using a software, specially PDVD, such issues are not reported and so are not investigated for possible fixes or improvements!
    I'll search for some alternatives, but I just wonder why a buggy software is 99 USD while a Sony player is around twice!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @omidsolo There is a section called "3D Display Configuration" at http://powerdvd.helpmax.net/en/using-powerdvd/playback-controls/3d-playback/#239141. It discusses adjusting the "3D scene depth" and "Swapping left/right eye views". Have you tried changing either of these settings yet?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2019 at 20:05. Reason: fix typing and editing mistakes
    Quote Quote