VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have Benq EW277HDR (HDR10, nothing special it a false HDR).

- What free video player would you recommend me for playing x265 HDR files? Is madVR codec necessary? I was thinking of getting Pot player but I read it has malware/adware? Any other?

- For HDR do I need to activate windows HDR mode or just press HDR button on monitor (when I press it it tells me HDR: Emulated mode, If I press it in some game that support HDR it will tell me HDR: ON)? When HDR is enabled in Windows (then it automatically turn on HDR on monitor) on youtube settings I got HDR option but picture really looks washed out.

I am noob to this area so it could someone explain to me in few short steps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use VLC 3.0.7.1 Ventari to play UHD HDR-10 video. Note that the GPU must support HEVC hardware decoding or video playback will be too choppy to watch. To check that VLC is set to use hardware decoding so it can play 4K HEVC smoothly, go to Tools->Preferences->Input/Codecs and make sure that Hardware accelerated decoding is set to "Automatic". VLC uses tone mapping to simulate HDR if the display or the video graphic adapter's HDMI connection is not HDR capable. (My monitor is HDR capable if I use its HDMI 2.0 connection in HDR mode but not if I use its HDMI 1.4 connection. Like your monitor it doesn't support real HDR or real wide color gamut.)

If the display is HDR-10 capable and you want to use it directly instead using of VLC's tone-mapping, then you need to be running Windows 10 1709 or higher, the GPU must support HDR-10 and you must use your video graphic adapter's DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 connection. (DP 1.2 also works for Kaby Lake HD Graphics 630 or Coffee Lake UHD Graphics 630 with the latest Windows 10 graphics drivers installed.) I'm using Windows 10 1709. I have the Stream HDR Video setting turned on in Windows 10's Settings->Video Playback. In Windows 10's Settings->Display I have HDR10 and Advanced Color turned on and Resolution is set to 3840x2160. The display must also have HDR turned on.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jun 2019 at 14:31.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have RX 580 so GPU definitely support it (I think) but I am still on Windows 10 1703 (previous update make a big mess of my system so I reinstalled and disabled update). I will do reinstall soon to version 1903. There is HDR option on this version but many other options you mentioned I don`t see so I will try that after I reinstall system in near future.

Yesterday I tried couple of players to play HDR content, HDR was not active, I only want to test tone mapping.

- MPC - BE
    - Pot player
    - VLC
    - Mpv

Only Pot player has washed out picture, other was very simillar. I am leaning to MPC-BE, VLC when playing video and doing forward and backward seems a little slow, it has a short delay. Does MPC BE must have madVR installed for HDR or it is just like VLC, plug and play and set those windwos option? I don`t like madVR becasue reading some other posts it is mentioned that AMD doesn`t support madVR, that madVR was broken with Creators update or some driver update.Something new problem always rise up.

On floor below me I have some old Win7 computer connected to Samsung 4K HDR. I presumme that only way to play HDR movies in full power is to install win10 to that computer and use steps that you described?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lorcav123 View Post
    I have RX 580 so GPU definitely support it (I think) but I am still on Windows 10 1703 (previous update make a big mess of my system so I reinstalled and disabled update). I will do reinstall soon to version 1903. There is HDR option on this version but many other options you mentioned I don`t see so I will try that after I reinstall system in near future.

Yesterday I tried couple of players to play HDR content, HDR was not active, I only want to test tone mapping.

- MPC - BE
    - Pot player
    - VLC
    - Mpv

Only Pot player has washed out picture, other was very simillar. I am leaning to MPC-BE, VLC when playing video and doing forward and backward seems a little slow, it has a short delay.
    I have only tried PotPlayer and VLC for playing UHD HEVC HDR video. Using PotPlayer resulted in a washed-out picture. VLC worked well and was easy to set up and use. I stopped looking for something better. I don't often go forward and backward while I'm watching a video so I didn't notice that those controls were slow to respond.

Does MPC BE must have madVR installed for HDR or it is just like VLC, plug and play and set those windwos option? I don`t like madVR becasue reading some other posts it is mentioned that AMD doesn`t support madVR, that madVR was broken with Creators update or some driver update.Something new problem always rise up.
    I have not tried using MPC-BE for playing UHD HEVC video. However, based on the instructions that I found on the Internet, if you want to play UHD HEVC HDR-10 video with MPC-BE then you must install madVR and LAVFilters and configure MPC-BE to use them. I don't know for certain if the same Windows 10 HDR settings that I used are needed for MPC-BE but I suspect that they are.

Unfortunately, I can't provide you with help for any of that based on personal experience. I don't have a computer with any recent AMD GPU. The last system of mine that had AMD graphics was built in 2009. I have been using Intel graphics for the past 5 years and I don't use madVR.

On floor below me I have some old Win7 computer connected to Samsung 4K HDR. I presumme that only way to play HDR movies in full power is to install win10 to that computer and use steps that you described?
    Does that old Win7 computer have a GPU that can provide hardware-assisted HEVC decoding and do the GPU video connections support HDR-10? If not, maybe it isn't worth updating the OS to Windows 10.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2019 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If that is the situation maybe I will give a VLC a chance, it seems more powerful than others and more easy to set.

Win7 computer has gtx 950 but CPu is some very old two core intel....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win7 computer has gtx 950 but CPu is some very old two core intel....
    I don't think that your Windows 7 computer is a good candidate for 4K playback. From what I've been reading, a NVIDIA GTX 950 can decode HEVC and supports HDR metadata if it has an HDMI 2.0a port but the two core CPU may not be good enough at this point.

I used an old AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor system as an HTPC until recently. It could decode HD MPEG-2 and HD H.264.AVC video using its onboard GPU for hardware-assisted decoding but that system had become very sluggish by the time I retired it. The fact that it was running Windows 7 32-bit (with the max 4GB of RAM installed) could have something to do with it but undoubtedly the old dual-core CPU was no help.

I have a few more things to add regarding VLC's support for HDR. As you know, there are multiple types of HDR. I've seen indications that VLC 3.0.1 and above supports tone mapping for both HLG and HDR10. HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are probably not supported for tone mapping. I don't think Dolby Vision is likely to be supported for a long time, if ever, because it is not an open format.

Since my monitor and my processor's iGPU are limited to HDR10 support I must rely on VLC's tone-mapping for HLG.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK, first, PotPlayer is not malware, nor adware - it's just "Ad-Supported installation", so just untick the "agree" checkbox for ad while installing and the program will be ad-free, or you can use the portable version (32-bit only, yet).

Regarding "washed out picture", just press the HDR button in the main navigation panel, or change it here - right click:

Menu - Video - Pixel Shader (S) - Enable SMPTE ST 2084 HDR EOTF Correction
    Menu - Video - Pixel Shader (S) - Enable SMPTE ST 2086 HDR EOTF Correction
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    OK, first, PotPlayer is not malware, nor adware - it's just "Ad-Supported installation", so just untick the "agree" checkbox for ad while installing and the program will be ad-free, or you can use the portable version (32-bit only, yet).

Regarding "washed out picture", just press the HDR button in the main navigation panel, or change it here - right click:

I have PotPlayer 1.7.18958 64-bit Adfree installed, which I downloaded from the PotPlayer page in the VideoHelp's Software section.

I can't seem to find an HDR button in PotPlayer's main navigation panel. Is my version of PotPlayer too old or is it just me and my tired old eyes and brain? Maybe you could post a screenshot showing where this button is located.

The suggestions for the Pixel Shader settings, which I'm guessing apply tone-mapping, works fine. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. usually_quiet - the HDR button is available in your version of PotPlayer, it's available only for videos with HDR, otherwise it's missing, try to maximize window, it's in the middle, next to H/W / S/W button, only in built-in skin.

That HDR button has the same function as one of those Pixel Shader options, I think it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

HDR videos has very bad colors by default, I don't know why this option is disabled by default, so just click it once (or use that context menu option) and it will be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet - the HDR button is available in your version of PotPlayer, it's available only for videos with HDR, otherwise it's missing, try to maximize window, it's in the middle, next to H/W / S/W button, only in built-in skin.

That HDR button has the same function as one of those Pixel Shader options, I think it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

HDR videos has very bad colors by default, I don't know why this option is disabled by default, so just click it once (or use that context menu option) and it will be OK.
    I found the HDR button following your advice and it did greatly improve color. However, if someone wants their 4K HDR TV/monitor to process HDR input, I'm not sure that PotPlayer allows it. I suspect that PotPlayer can only perform tone-mapping.

I also have Cyberlink PowerDVD 18 Ultra, which I bought for playing UHD Blu-ray. PowerDVD 18 Ultra allows the TV/monitor to process HDR10 itself when playing video that uses it. However, it isn't free software and it can only handle HDR10 as far as I know, which makes sense due to the hardware requirements for UHD Blu-ray playback. (Intel graphics for Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake Core I processors only support HDR10.) Unfortunately, most people who come to VideoHelp for advice want free software players.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What about Preferences > video > surface format > 10-bit, or/and 10-bit output?

I'm not expert for this, but you can ask in the official PotPlayer forum, or directly via email.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I have not tried using MPC-BE for playing UHD HEVC video. However, based on the instructions that I found on the Internet, if you want to play UHD HEVC HDR-10 video with MPC-BE then you must install madVR and LAVFilters and configure MPC-BE to use them. I don't know for certain if the same Windows 10 HDR settings that I used are needed for MPC-BE but I suspect that they are.

Unfortunately, I can't provide you with help for any of that based on personal experience. I don't have a computer with any recent AMD GPU. The last system of mine that had AMD graphics was built in 2009. I have been using Intel graphics for the past 5 years and I don't use madVR.
    Than maybe it is better to invest in some 100€ 4k HDR android box than to buy new platform (MBO, CPU, RAM) for that old computer that is connected to 4k HDR TV? I presumme that with 4K HDR android box should be plug and play?

OK, first, PotPlayer is not malware, nor adware - it's just "Ad-Supported installation", so just untick the "agree" checkbox for ad while installing and the program will be ad-free, or you can use the portable version (32-bit only, yet).

I thought that this is for HDR to SDR tone mapping but when I enable that nothing happens, still washed out picture. In MPC-BE and VLC picture looks normal without any additional settings.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lorcav123 View Post
    I thought that this is for HDR to SDR tone mapping but when I enable that nothing happens, still washed out picture. In MPC-BE and VLC picture looks normal without any additional settings.
    Do you mean the button, or one of those context menu options? For me one of those options has no effect, the other works - colors are good.

Perhaps it's another issue, try the official forum.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Than maybe it is better to invest in some 100€ 4k HDR android box than to buy new platform (MBO, CPU, RAM) for that old computer that is connected to 4k HDR TV? I presumme that with 4K HDR android box should be plug and play?
    That could work, but even those boxes have some limitations. Find out what the limitations are before you buy. The NVIDIA Shield TV, for example, is one of the best Android TV boxes and is even certified for most commercial streaming services in the US. However, even though it can bitstream Dolby Atmos to a receiver and supports HDR10, it doesn't support Dolby Vison HDR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jun 2019 at 15:58.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about Preferences > video > surface format > 10-bit, or/and 10-bit output?
    I tried that, and the colors became more natural afterward. Thanks. However, VLC and PowerDVD meet my needs better than PotPlayer in most respects, so I'll probably stick with VLC and PowerDVD
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Do you mean the button, or one of those context menu options? For me one of those options has no effect, the other works - colors are good.

Perhaps it's another issue, try the official forum.
    I don t see button, I was thionking of those two options, I thought that they will have role of HDR to SDR tone mapping. Movie looks washed out with or without that options.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    That could work, but even those boxes have some limitations. Find out what the limitations are before you buy. The NVIDIA Shield TV, for example, is one of the best Android TV boxes and is even certified for most commercial streaming services in the US. However, even though it can bitstream Dolby Atmos to a receiver and supports HDR10, it doesn't support Dolby Vison HDR.
    So if Nvidia shield (I always though it is the best, the leader of android boxes) doesn t support it I fear that other boxes will not have full support
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if Nvidia shield (I always though it is the best, the leader of android boxes) doesn t support it I fear that other boxes will not have full support
    As far as I have been able to determine, no Android box supports Dolby Vision and support for Dolby Atmos bitstreaming is uncommon.

My point was, nothing is perfect. Although some UHD HDR TVs and UHD Blu-ray players support both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos bitstreaming, the NVIDIA Shield TV could have more streaming services available, or play more types of media files, audio and video.

I know some others on this forum would disagree but I also think the NVIDIA Shield TV is the best Android TV box on the market. It probably does have additional weaknesses but I don't know what they are.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lorcav123 View Post
    I don t see button, I was thionking of those two options, I thought that they will have role of HDR to SDR tone mapping. Movie looks washed out with or without that options.
    Send the sample file / link to sample file directly to PotPlayer author, go to homepage, scroll down and click to "Contact us".

Every time I had problems with some files, or other users in the forum, author was able to fix it, often even in less than 1 day, but important is to send the sample file or link and describe the problem, author's English is not very good, so perhaps add 2 screenshots, from PotPlayer and from other program, where it is OK.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    As far as I have been able to determine, no Android box supports Dolby Vision and support for Dolby Atmos bitstreaming is uncommon.

My point was, nothing is perfect. Although some UHD HDR TVs and UHD Blu-ray players support both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos bitstreaming, the NVIDIA Shield TV could have more streaming services available, or play more types of media files, audio and video.

I know some others on this forum would disagree but I also think the NVIDIA Shield TV is the best Android TV box on the market. It probably does have additional weaknesses but I don't know what they are.
    I am without a receiver at the moment and can not test bitstreams. However I am using POtplayer to try out some 4k files and it does not display the files even in 4k they don't look half as much pixels as mpc-hc does with normal settings on same file. Are you saying I need to adjust HDR settings in POtplayer for all files?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lorcav123 View Post

I tried both of those settings as well and the file that is 2160p hdr10 looks like 720 with PotPlayer (this is on 1080p tv) but still MPC-Hc looks quite decent with same files on 1080p tv

Does MPC-Hc being installed at same time as POtPlayer cause issues?
    Quote Quote