VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello -
    I have an old 32 bit Dell Dimension 4600 that I still occasionally use; it's main purpose
    is to be a streaming server for some media clips I have on there which I can play on the TV
    downstairs.
    At the moment there are no external codecs installed (nor even LAV) while I'm trying to troubleshoot
    this problem.

The issue is that when playing mp3 music in WMP, the progress indicator (scrubbing button?)
    stays at the left side and does not move while the song plays. If you touch it, the song restarts.

I only stumbled on this by accident; I was trying to unravel the mysteries of the WMP indexing/library
    mechanism and why what showed up didn't necessarily exactly match the media files in the library folders.

If this was a directshow playback chain, I might think something is wrong with the splitter/decoder,
    but I don't think WMP is using directshow.

SFC /SCANNOW has not fixed it.

The mp3 files work fine in mpc-hc, for example. At this point, I'm curious as to what has gone wrong,
    any idea's appreciated.

EDIT double clicking on the mp3 file(s), in Explorer for example, or right-clicking and selecting PLAY,
    opens up the WMP (CTRL-3 view) and now the file can be scrubbed and played normally. Using CTRL-1, CTRL-2 & CTRL-3
    to display the different WMP styles (full library view, visualizations, small window with single song playlist, respectively)
    it still works.
    It's only when you initiate the mp3 by first opening the Windows Media player and selecting the song from library view
    the problem occurs. This is a strange problem
    Last edited by davexnet; 17th Jun 2019 at 14:42. Reason: More info
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is how weird it is. On the left you see the folder library view from within WMP, in the middle the temporary
    playlist created by dragging files in from Explorer, or in this case I was using Agent Ransack search program.

You can see the highlighted song "Up above my head". When I drag it to the temporary playlist from Agent ransack
    I can play and seek within the song with out issue.
    However, if I drag it in from the library/folder list on the left, the file will play but not allow me to seek.

It's the exact same file! It's the only version of this song on the PC

EDIT this problem is not isolated to mp3's - manipulating the video files in a similar manner
    displays the same problem
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wmp_1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	49402  

Last edited by davexnet; 18th Jun 2019 at 20:39. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
  3. EDIT: Note to myself - read entire post before replying(!)
    Last edited by mike20021969; 18th Jun 2019 at 23:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's something to do with the files Metadata being, for some reason, inaccessible to WMP. Even the length
    In minutes and seconds does not show up. Same for a handful of avi/xvid files I have. But mp4/avc files info is
    Properly populated and they play and seek fine
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This problem was fixed for .mp3 by restoring the missing property handler.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.mp3]
    @="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

EDIT -
    Also missing for .avi, but I found it by searching on "avi property handler" - this is the default setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.avi]
    @="{e2fb4720-f45f-4a3c-8cb2-2060e12425c3}"

I'm wondering if these items get replaced when various codec packs are installed -
    and then not restored to default when they're uninstalled.
    All previously broken functionality is now working
    Last edited by davexnet; 19th Jun 2019 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote