VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a series of TV shows with approx 4 episodes each season over many seasons. They are older shows on DVD but are supposed to have closed captioning. When I try to play them on my Panasonic BT 210 BD player, the CCs are not available, but I have found with these discs as with some other older DVDs that the CC really are there and can be found when extracting the video using certain programs. So using Makemkv, I copied the programs to my computer and the CCs are present on these files when I play them on my computer. I use Plex to watch these on my TV, and, indeed, the CCs are available.

The shows are all 16:9 widescreen, and when I used Makemkv to copy them to the computer, the first season was fine, but the next 4 seasons all somehow came out as 4:3. I have no idea why they came out this way. Using MKVToolnix, I checked the headers, and for all discs all seasons the pixel width/height are 720 x 480 as they should be, but only season one copied with a video width of 853 and height 480 as it should be for 16:9 AR. All the others had the width set to 640 and height of 480 which would be 4:3. So, using MKVToolnix, I changed the header to the correct video width, and things seem OK on my computer or when Plex plays them back. I don't know why this happened, but at least I found a way around the issue.

Now for the really strange part. I would like to keep all the shows from one season on one blue ray disc. Using BDRebuilder or MultiAVCHD to take the MKV files and change them into m2ts and the BD architecture worked fine for season one, the one which worked correctly from the start. The problem is that for all the other MKVs whose header I've manually changed to the correct aspect ratio, using either BDRebuilder or MultiAVCHD to create a blue ray disc somehow results in a 4:3 AR on all the episodes/seasons.

MKVToolnix does not work for anything but MKV files, as far as I can tell, so I'm looking for a (preferably free) simple M2TS editor which will do the same thing MKVToolnix does. That is, I would like to be able to check the listed aspect ratio and change it as necessary so the final BD M2TS files will have the correct 16:9 AR.

I appreciate all advice.

SMK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, nothing like answering my own question. I used different search terms (aspect ratio instead of editor) and found a thread I'd started on a similar issue two years ago. I then remember I'd used DVDPatcher with good results, and I just tried it, and it is working fine to change the AR.

Sorry for the confusion, but someone else might benefit from this info.

SMK
    Quote Quote