VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a ripped dvd VOB and its aspect ratio is messed up, it is taller than it is wide, it's like reverse 16:9. I don't know how it got like that.

I don't know anything about these things. What is the simplest way that I can fix this? If even possible?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Upload a short clip of the file so we can see the problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Probably Half D1, 352x480 or 352x576 (valid for DVD). Either the VOB or the IFO that referred to it should have the correct DAR. If not, remux with the correct DAR flat -- should be 4:3. Or encode with DAR/SAR flags. Or resize to the correct DAR and encode square pixel.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Jun 2019 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Image
    [Attachment 49371 - Click to enlarge]

This is what it looks like.

I dont know what any of this means:
    Probably Half D1, 352x480 or 352x576 (valid for DVD). Either the VOB or the IFO that referred to it should have the correct DAR. If not, remux with the correct DAR flat -- should be 4:3. Or encode with DAR/SAR flags. Or resize to the correct DAR and encode square pixel.

Is there an app I can download and fix it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a news accident video taken by the public with a phone held in the wrong orientation. Which program did you use to rip the DVD?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Looks like a news accident video taken by the public with a phone held in the wrong orientation. Which program did you use to rip the DVD?
    I do not remember, it was a while ago.

This an old home movie which was transferred to DVD from super 8 film. it used to be good but somehow got messed up.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by EricBalir View Post
    What is the simplest way that I can fix this?
    There's nothing wrong with it. It plays okay as a DVD or as a VOB, doesn't it? What do you wish to do with it? Reencode to something else?

You still haven't made available a piece of it for us to have a look. If you don't know how to cut out a small 10-second piece, then open it in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section and then go File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by EricBalir View Post
    What is the simplest way that I can fix this?
    There's nothing wrong with it. It plays okay as a DVD or as a VOB, doesn't it? What do you wish to do with it? Reencode to something else?

You still haven't made available a piece of it for us to have a look. If you don't know how to cut out a small 10-second piece, then open it in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section and then go File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V file.
    Yes it does play and has sound, it's just that the aspect ratio is messed up. In the DGIndex app it says the aspect ration is 4:3, but when I play , it's not.

Attached clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's the way the video was recorded and there's nothing you can do to fix it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by EricBalir View Post
    In the DGIndex app it says the aspect ration is 4:3, but when I play , it's not.
    Yes it is. The black pillarbox bars are part of the 4:3 picture. Though, maybe it should be 16:9, not 4:3. Maybe even 2.21:1 (legal for MPEG 2 but not for DVD).

Frame stretched to 2.21:1

[Attachment 49374 - Click to enlarge]

The wheels on the truck most round at this AR.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Jun 2019 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have another section where you can see a round object straight on like a tire etc but fairly close? I agree with Jagabo's assessment of frame stretched to 2.21:1 looks close enough.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would probably crop 184 on the left and right and then resize the 352x480 to 640x480 or alternatively adjust the PAR.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I would probably crop 184 on the left and right and then resize the 352x480 to 640x480 or alternatively adjust the PAR.
    That makes some sense too: somebody started with a Half D1 video (352x480) then (incorrectly) added black borders to make it 720x480 before encoding.

As netmask56 suggested, something with a known aspect ratio would help determine the correct way to deal with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    I would probably crop 184 on the left and right and then resize the 352x480 to 640x480 or alternatively adjust the PAR.
    That makes some sense too: somebody started with a Half D1 video (352x480) then (incorrectly) added black borders to make it 720x480 before encoding.

As netmask56 suggested, something with a known aspect ratio would help determine the correct way to deal with the video.
    Thanks for you help.

In answer to some above, this WAS NOT recorded like this. It was recorded in Super8 film and then transferred to DVD, which also had a normal aspect ratio, ie, not taller than wider.

So the question remains, how does one go about fixing this? I am not an expert like you guys seem to be.

I'd be willing to send this to someone to fix for a small fee.
    Quote Quote  
  15. main question is what the correct aspect ratio of the source is to determine that needs a scene with a circle or something where one can easily see distortions, which is why netmask56 asked you:
    Do you have another section where you can see a round object straight on like a tire etc but fairly close?
    Without knowing the real aspect ratio something like:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -noautorotate -threads 8 -i "PATH TO THE INPUT FILE" -acodec copy -c:v mpeg2video -vf crop=352:480:184:0,scale=704:480,zscale=rangein=tv:range=tv -pix_fmt yuv420p -sws_flags spline "PATH TO OUTPUT FILE"
    might fix the issue.

note:
    a. the 704x470 is a 'wild' guess here)
    b. if you are not aiming to end up with mpeg2video you could use for example instead of '-c:v mpeg2video' something like '-c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22'.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  16. Image
    [Attachment 49382 - Click to enlarge]

I don't know what the original aspect ration was, all I know is that when I threw in the DVD, it filled out the whole screen wherever I watched it, and I saw it exactly as the original film. Normal.

That's all I want to see it on the full screen and not distorted like before

I have attached a new clip with a good view of the tires. But you can also see how the station wagon is compressed.

Also see the attached image of the properties that DGIndex gives.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. There may be have been a Sequence Display Extension on the original DVD indicating the 4:3 DAR is from the inner 352x480 of the 720x480 frame.
    Quote Quote  
  18. So will the above command line fix it? I just need it fixed.

Not at computer now, but steps to fix would be helpful.

And thank you for your patience and help.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I had to modify Selur's script a bit to work properly on my computer:

Code:
    "g:\program files\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -y -noautorotate -threads 8 -i "%~dpnx1" -target ntsc-dvd -acodec copy -c:v mpeg2video -vf crop=352:480:184:0,scale=704:480 -pix_fmt yuv420p -aspect 4:3 -sws_flags spline "%~dpn1.filtered.mpg"
    pause
    Put that in a batch file. Change ffmpeg path to where ffmpeg.exe is on your computer. Then you can drag/drop a video file onto the batch file to convert to a new MPG video.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Jun 2019 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Some more advanced filtering with AviSynth

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("vid_clip3.demuxed.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    Crop(184,0,-184,-0)
    QTGMC(InputType=2, EZDenoise=1.0, DenoiseMC=true)
    MergeChroma(aWarpSharp(depth=5), aWarpSharp(depth=20))
    Sharpen(0.0, 0.5)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=640, fheight=480)
    Sharpen(0.5)
    yields the attached clip.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. That's awesome, exactly what I need!!

It worked!! Now it's back to original!!

Thanks so much for all your help!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
    Last edited by EricBalir; 16th Jun 2019 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote