VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Where exactly do you get the ads? Can you take a screenshot?

I have not yet seen any ads in Potplayer.

I have no idea what versions that have no "builtin" popups. But you could try https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup64-1.7.18958.exe
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

I have no idea what versions that have no "builtin" popups. But you could try https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup64-1.7.18958.exe
    with the latest version of potplayer i get a potplayer popup logo in the bottom right hand of my screen, which (from what i can gather) has been used for ads in some versions of potplayer, - i haven't gotten any ads so far, just the popup logo (ad placeholder?)... so i ended up uninstalling it (the latest version) and installed an older version without "_ads.exe" in the file name and so far i haven't seen the popup happen again....

Last edited by vanbrocklin; 14th Sep 2020 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I will add a note about that in the potplayer description.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1.7.18958 64-bit should be adfree, but probably also some newer versions.

I don't have any popup window / ads in the latest versions either, but several users reported it in other forums, strange.

If you have these popup ads, you can ask developer via email, homepage - scroll down - CONTACT US. Then let us know, if he reply, please.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Malware found by malwarebytes:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	potplayer_malware.PNG
Views:	7947
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	55183  

Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geoton4 View Post
    Malware found by malwarebytes:

As a general principle, single AV scanner results don't really cut it: too many ways it can toss out a false positive, as from the use of certain software tools in the coding development, or certain essential methods by which the program does its thing. It is a much better practice to use VirusTotal, which is free, and then read the multi-AV-scanners report with care and some understanding. Some of those AV scanners are major players, but some others are No Account No Names that I wouldn't put any value on.

Sometimes even multiple hits from the longtime major players does not really tell the tale, either: see many years of valid complaints from NirSoft and certain others. Programs that are good and do important or unique things, but which will always get flagged, due to their nature.

That exception above applies less in the case of something like a video player, which is not doing anything like password recovery.

Getting back to Potplayer, I have not read back through this thread, and I stopped using the program some time ago (although older versions may still be installed on a couple rigs), because I recall reading some disturbing reports about "phone home" tattletale behavior that could not be thwarted without crippling the program. I don't know how accurate those reports were, but I have a very LOW tolerance for that type of behavior from an app. It's why I have done whatever seemed possible to kill Win-10 telemetry, Cortana, etc., before I will make any sustained usage of that OS. Beyond that, I found the Daum Potplayer UI to be chaotic and unappealing. That said, there are videos that even VLC has problems with. And I'm kinda baffled by regularly seeing that "Could not resolve enough pins" error from MPC-BE or its siblings . . . yet sometimes the video still manages to play anyway ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just my added comments... There is definitely truth in what Seeker47 says. I have written many software programs for video handling and each time I run the program from a new folder, Norton 360 (Major Player) says my program is accessing certain unauthorized areas and I have to allow it, although only one time allowance is necessary. Funny Norton lets me write it but stops when I run it. Hmmm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would be really nice if I could just pay for a license for PotPlayer and not have to worry about it. No way they're making more on those ads than what a reasonable license would cost.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That sucks I switched to pot player to get away from bugs under VLC in more recent years in its playback and functions. I really like potplayer ability to stretch screen to get picture to fit the screen.

Gom just straight up does not function on my laptop.

Any other alternative free suggestions for screen stretching and play-ability for comercial dvd's?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    In the C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Logos folder you'll find a potplayer.png file which is the logo. Delete it, problem solved. Why you can't edit this out in the preferences however is annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Ugg, no it doesn't solve the problem. This logo appears still appears, perhaps it's on a first run but not after it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ValenNC View Post
    Ugg, no it doesn't solve the problem. This logo appears still appears, perhaps it's on a first run but not after it seems.
    go to page 2 post #54 of this thread, to get the ad free version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vanbrocklin View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

with the latest version of potplayer i get a potplayer popup logo in the bottom right hand of my screen, which (from what i can gather) has been used for ads in some versions of potplayer, - i haven't gotten any ads so far, just the popup logo (ad placeholder?)... so i ended up uninstalling it (the latest version) and installed an older version without "_ads.exe" in the file name and so far i haven't seen the popup happen again....

This popup never appeared to me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Havokdan View Post
    Same here, I'm trying to find a reason, could you tell us some information, please?

OS version, antivirus, PotPlayer version, country (at least continent, like "EU, Europe non-EU, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australia).

I think the reason could be - country dependent (users from Asia had these earlier + real ads, not just PP logo, users from US, Canada, UK had PP logo only), EU/GDPR law, antivirus/OS blocking.

My data: Windows 10 Home 2004 64-bit (+older), PotPlayer 201021 1.7.21306 64-bit (+any older), Defender (no other antivirus or antispyware), EU.

You can PM me, if you don't want to share your info, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Originally Posted by Havokdan View Post
    Same here, I'm trying to find a reason, could you tell us some information, please?

OS version, antivirus, PotPlayer version, country (at least continent, like "EU, Europe non-EU, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australia).

I think the reason could be - country dependent (users from Asia had these earlier + real ads, not just PP logo, users from US, Canada, UK had PP logo only), EU/GDPR law, antivirus/OS blocking.

My data: Windows 10 Home 2004 64-bit (+older), PotPlayer 201021 1.7.21306 64-bit (+any older), Defender (no other antivirus or antispyware), EU.

You can PM me, if you don't want to share your info, thanks.
    Windows x64, PotPlayer x64 1.7.21311, South America, Kaspersky Internet Security
    Quote Quote  
  16. Guys, all theses links redirects to potplayer main site and/or the company that makes potplayer (kaka something). its normal behaviour.

In my installs i never saw any banner or ads. I have potplayer updated and all great here, as usual..

I think people are complaining as their player of choise are total crap if compared to potplayer... am i wrong? prove me...

I have one question, if anyone can help, please: how can I watch my iptv channels in potplayer? the provider send me the url, port, login and password. all great at my lg tvs with webos, but how can i watch it in potplayer? i know potplayer supportes it but i just cant find the options..
    Quote Quote  
  17. yro - 1st part, just some users have the ads, some users don't have any ads, I don't have any either, read previous posts for more.

2nd part, it's OT.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Another weird behavior I've noticed when PotPlayer is opened, is that the bottom right corner of the screen sometimes has an invisible box - like, even if it isn't showing an ad, it is still showing an invisible ad there, occupying the space for it, and blocking, for example, mouse selection of text or video scrolling or anything that is in that area on the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  19. gendalv - yes, as I said, some users have ads, some users don't have ads and just few users has such invisible object there.

Even after this was added to changelog: "Remove sponsor-related features", at least one user reported ads, but we'd need more reports, I can't help because I never had ads.

I tried to find why some users don't have ads, they could be small countries, or EU countries, that because of EU/GDPR author can't use ads there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. New review for the latest version:

After reading in the change log "* Remove sponsor-related features," I tried this current 64-bit beta version today. The installer passed VirusTotal scan on all vendors, and the install itself was flag-free. So far have NOT noticed any occurrence of the corner "empty ad window popup." Runs beautifully. Caveat: as with all other versions, I have blocked potplayermini.exe for both In and Out in Windows Defender Firewall. What we all hoped would happen may have really happened. I would say, "get it while it's hot" before someone at Daum changes their mind. Note this review only applies to the version specified.

Review by svk on Jul 24, 2021 Version: 210723 Beta 64-bit OS: Windows 10 64-bit Ease of use: 7/10 Functionality: 10/10 Value for money: 10/10 Overall: 9/10
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    New review for the latest version:

After reading in the change log "* Remove sponsor-related features," I tried this current 64-bit beta version today. The installer passed VirusTotal scan on all vendors, and the install itself was flag-free. So far have NOT noticed any occurrence of the corner "empty ad window popup." Runs beautifully. Caveat: as with all other versions, I have blocked potplayermini.exe for both In and Out in Windows Defender Firewall. What we all hoped would happen may have really happened. I would say, "get it while it's hot" before someone at Daum changes their mind. Note this review only applies to the version specified.

Review by svk on Jul 24, 2021 Version: 210723 Beta 64-bit OS: Windows 10 64-bit Ease of use: 7/10 Functionality: 10/10 Value for money: 10/10 Overall: 9/10
    Adding a mirror for it here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup64-210723.exe
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Just to be clear, Potplayer has been my favorite and default player since the very first version. I especially like the choice of audio/video renderers, and the normalizer...
    I have not modified the HOSTS file or the Windows firewall rules. I have been trying every Beta version, and I still get the pop-up every now and then. The pop-up itself is not a big deal as there are no ads in it, my issue with it is that the player loses focus, and so I lose the right-click context menu and I have to right-click again, this is extremely annoying (I don't want to set the player to "stay on top" when not in full screen mode). I have tried every media player there is, and there's no competition, but if the focus issue persists, I may stop using Potplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  23. where are you guys getting the installer from? I never got any ads or prompts to install adware.
    I got mine from https://potplayer.daum.net/ which seems to be the official site.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, that's the only place we get it from. They stopped bundling third party apps in the installer a while back, but the logo pop-up in the lower right corner is still there for SOME people, but it doesn't show on every launch. It could be regional; I'm in Canada/North America.
    Last edited by Gus.Ghanem; 14th Jan 2022 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm creating a poll about it, but I'm not sure if I should check this option:

"Make votes public"

What it means, that the user names will be visible for each vote, or just the number of votes will be visible for all users?

I want to make it anonymous, but all users should see the results, number of votes per answer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm creating a poll about it, but I'm not sure if I should check this option:

"Make votes public"

What it means, that the user names will be visible for each vote, or just the number of votes will be visible for all users?

I want to make it anonymous, but all users should see the results, number of votes per answer.
    I means that the user names will be visible for each vote. So don't select it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. This text is at the main PotPlayer page:

Note! Potplayer might come with built-in popup-ads(get an old version from 2019-06 or older for no ads).
    AFAIK, PotPlayer should not have any ads now, few users reported it here, I can't confirm it, because I never had popup ads in PotPlayer, but perhaps that note should be removed.

If anyone have any popup ad in PotPlayer - latest version, let us know here, please, especially users who had a popup ad in older versions.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This text is at the main PotPlayer page:

Note! Potplayer might come with built-in popup-ads(get an old version from 2019-06 or older for no ads).
    AFAIK, PotPlayer should not have any ads now, few users reported it here, I can't confirm it, because I never had popup ads in PotPlayer, but perhaps that note should be removed.

If anyone have any popup ad in PotPlayer - latest version, let us know here, please, especially users who had a popup ad in older versions.
    Okey. I have removed that note.
    Quote Quote