VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Where exactly do you get the ads? Can you take a screenshot?

I have not yet seen any ads in Potplayer.

I have no idea what versions that have no "builtin" popups. But you could try https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup64-1.7.18958.exe
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Where exactly do you get the ads? Can you take a screenshot?

I have not yet seen any ads in Potplayer.

I have no idea what versions that have no "builtin" popups. But you could try https://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPlayerSetup64-1.7.18958.exe
    with the latest version of potplayer i get a potplayer popup logo in the bottom right hand of my screen, which (from what i can gather) has been used for ads in some versions of potplayer, - i haven't gotten any ads so far, just the popup logo (ad placeholder?)... so i ended up uninstalling it (the latest version) and installed an older version without "_ads.exe" in the file name and so far i haven't seen the popup happen again....

Last edited by vanbrocklin; 14th Sep 2020 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I will add a note about that in the potplayer description.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1.7.18958 64-bit should be adfree, but probably also some newer versions.

I don't have any popup window / ads in the latest versions either, but several users reported it in other forums, strange.

If you have these popup ads, you can ask developer via email, homepage - scroll down - CONTACT US. Then let us know, if he reply, please.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Malware found by malwarebytes:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	potplayer_malware.PNG
Views:	1404
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	55183  

Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geoton4 View Post
    Malware found by malwarebytes:

As a general principle, single AV scanner results don't really cut it: too many ways it can toss out a false positive, as from the use of certain software tools in the coding development, or certain essential methods by which the program does its thing. It is a much better practice to use VirusTotal, which is free, and then read the multi-AV-scanners report with care and some understanding. Some of those AV scanners are major players, but some others are No Account No Names that I wouldn't put any value on.

Sometimes even multiple hits from the longtime major players does not really tell the tale, either: see many years of valid complaints from NirSoft and certain others. Programs that are good and do important or unique things, but which will always get flagged, due to their nature.

That exception above applies less in the case of something like a video player, which is not doing anything like password recovery.

Getting back to Potplayer, I have not read back through this thread, and I stopped using the program some time ago (although older versions may still be installed on a couple rigs), because I recall reading some disturbing reports about "phone home" tattletale behavior that could not be thwarted without crippling the program. I don't know how accurate those reports were, but I have a very LOW tolerance for that type of behavior from an app. It's why I have done whatever seemed possible to kill Win-10 telemetry, Cortana, etc., before I will make any sustained usage of that OS. Beyond that, I found the Daum Potplayer UI to be chaotic and unappealing. That said, there are videos that even VLC has problems with. And I'm kinda baffled by regularly seeing that "Could not resolve enough pins" error from MPC-BE or its siblings . . . yet sometimes the video still manages to play anyway ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just my added comments... There is definitely truth in what Seeker47 says. I have written many software programs for video handling and each time I run the program from a new folder, Norton 360 (Major Player) says my program is accessing certain unauthorized areas and I have to allow it, although only one time allowance is necessary. Funny Norton lets me write it but stops when I run it. Hmmm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would be really nice if I could just pay for a license for PotPlayer and not have to worry about it. No way they're making more on those ads than what a reasonable license would cost.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That sucks I switched to pot player to get away from bugs under VLC in more recent years in its playback and functions. I really like potplayer ability to stretch screen to get picture to fit the screen.

Gom just straight up does not function on my laptop.

Any other alternative free suggestions for screen stretching and play-ability for comercial dvd's?
    Quote Quote