VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I assume all of you that see any kind of Ad screens during installation are actually allowing the installer full access to the Internet then?

When I run the latest (1.7.20538) or previous installers, my Firewall pops up after the unpacking stage; potplayer.exe is asking for access; I select 'disable once' and don't receive a single prompt to install any other software during the rest of the install; absolutely nothing, not one screen or tick-box appears.

Just ran the installer through virustotal.com; not a single detection with any engine. It appears to try and make a couple of network connections, one to daum.net and another to a cloudfront account. I'm guessing if it can't get the latest Ad info from these sites, it doesn't bother showing the relevant installer screens at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. PotPlayer PORTABLEAPPZ
    WHAT THESE UNOFFICIAL PORTABLE APP MAKERS DO IT
    UNZIP THE ORIGINAL INSTALLER and put just the essential files into a directory you sepcify. These follow a certain file directory structure
    .\apps
    .\data

Instructions
    1. Run the Portable App Maker .. It will unzip the installers into a portable directory without the adware/crapware/spyware
    2. If you want a non portable ... just replace the files from you usual intall library with the ones in the .\apps\ directory
    If you have to reset settings to default just delete the .\data subdir.

(Optional) Just make you download the latest .exes from the links below
    PotPlayerSetup.exe,
    PotPlayerSetup64.exe,
    OpenCodecSetup.exe,
    OpenCodecSetup64.exe in its folder.

Download Portable PotPlayer Online (0.8 MB) 24/12/18

The is a similar tool to make a portable appz version of KMPLayer too
    https://portableappz.blogspot.com/2018/11/kmplayer-42217-2018102215-64-bit.html

Last edited by teodz1984; 28th Sep 2019 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OT, but does anyone have a valid email ID for the Potplayer forum administrator (who may also be the developer). Using the link given, my email bounced, with "No such user: <ahahalive@daum.net>"

I'm unable to login to the forum or to complete the Forgot Password routine, or to re-register. Yet I get a message that my username and email ID are already in use.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure if anyone care about the forum, try to contact author via email at homepage > https://potplayer.daum.net/ > scroll down and click to "CONTACT US", but I'm not sure if he will help you.

Anyway, you can report a bug via email above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Email is valid, every beta released, I send an email to that address and so far never failed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It didn‘t fail. Please read again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    It didn‘t fail. Please read again.
    I was talking to @terrypin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Tried everything above.

The Internet Security still blocks the Ad – blocks access to domain.

Tried @Nilzzon suggestion. Can see all files in 7zip but not executable Setup PotPlayer file.
    Can you explain the process, please? Thanks
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ConverterCrazy View Post
    Tried everything above.

The Internet Security still blocks the Ad – blocks access to domain.

Tried @Nilzzon suggestion. Can see all files in 7zip but not executable Setup PotPlayer file.
    Can you explain the process, please? Thanks
    If I extract all files from the PotPlayerSetup.exe to a folder I get all .exe files, like PotPlayer.exe, PotPlayermini.exe, etc. I'm using 7zip.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A portable app is in a zip with no installation. At least in my world.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Even before that, PotPlayer has always and keeps trying to contact multiple servers upon starting, even if you disable automatic updates and the like. Unsure what data is being sent, but it's the reason why I could never trust them. Here is a list of the URLs that I had to blacklist.

::1 play.kakao.com
    ::1 track.tiara.daum.net
    ::1 t1.daumcdn.net
    ::1 p1-play.edge4k.com
    ::1 p2-play.edge4k.com
    ::1 p1-play.kgslb.com
    ::1 p2-play.kgslb.com
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    A portable app is in a zip with no installation. At least in my world.

It worked.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Pot player just showed me a pop-up ad in the bottom right of the screen as I opened a video! I was too shocked to take a screenshot and then it disappeared. Sneaky!

Edit: I have found another user on reddit who managed to get pictures

https://www.reddit.com/r/potplayer/comments/e7afpj/pot_player_displaying_pop_up_ads_while_playing/

[Attachment 51078 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Catoblepas88; 12th Dec 2019 at 04:45. Reason: Added new information
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have used Potplayer for many years now and it is the only player that does absolutely everything for me.
    I have to use subtitles all the time and Potplayer never failed me UNTIL NOW !!
    Latest updates (since about mid this year) have totally stuffed the subtitle display.
    Subtitles hang on the screen for long after the dialogue is spoken (till next line of dialogue and that can be several minutes in some cases)
    I reported to potplayer and they said they changed things because they were having problems with short duration teletext subtitles.
    Funny I use subtitles all the time for 3 years and never encountered any issues at all in fact potplayer was the only player (have tried them all believe me)that did all my subtitles perfectly.
    When I told them this they said it is not a bug and was intentional so I told them the subtitles are now "crazy"
    They got stroppy and told me to use the older version.
    I like to always use updated software for security reasons but since they have ruined the latest versions for my use I will have to use the old version or go back to VLC (the second best player there is)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree wholeheartedly. I need many of the features in potplayer for writing software but lately I have found MPC-BE has the same features I need except return to set size when I hit stop. I also found the author seems to be arrogant now and doesn't care about input. Apparently he thinks it's so good now everyone will put up with any bad changes he implements.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just downloaded the update and cause my laptop win10 to freeze, it takes at least 3 mins to open one application.

Which i soon realise the update will prompt you install an antivirus call Segurazo - Everyone beware when you try to update Potplayer
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I install an old version of Potplayer, can I avoid the adware? If so, which one should I install?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drstew12 View Post
    If I install an old version of Potplayer, can I avoid the adware? If so, which one should I install?
    Probably one that was released months before this thread was started.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If one pays attention when installing you can simply untick what you don't want - I have the latest and no problems...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Had an issue yesterday installing the latest update, Kapersky kept blocking the install because it detected adds.... Hadn't even got to the install page that allows you not to install the crap bundled software. Had to pause Kapersky to get the install to complete .... Not good if you have to do this with every update
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Updates" these days seem to be less about bug fixes and improved features than about injecting new spyware and/or spamware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by drstew12 View Post
    You can find the last versions without ads here, with the suffix "Adfree".

https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer#changelog

New portable versions (32-bit only) without ads are here (no beta versions, releases are not instant):

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/potplayer-portable
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    new version just released to warn that potplayer has Ads - https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer
    Quote Quote  
  24. If anyone is curious. I captured some web traffic that PotPlayer uses on startup and found some interesting results. It logs when you launch the app with the following information.

It logs run information to https://stat.tiara.kakao.com/track
    Code:
    {
    	"sdk" : {
    	"type": "PC", 
    	"version" : "1.0"
    	},
    	"common" : {
    	"access_time": "2020-09-09 07:12:44", 
    	"access_timestamp": "1599649964000", 
    	"svcdomain": "potplayer.pc.app", 
    	"deployment": "production", 
    	"kakao_app_key": "6657f9f69b3bda7939f3e9ad0027ae0f", 
    	"page": "_0", 
    	"section": "-" 
    	},
    	"action" : {
    	"type": "App", 
    	"name": "앱실행", 
    	"kind": "AppLaunch" 
    	},
    	"user" : {
    	"uuid": "{93DE9072-D1C7-0052-B391-************}", 
    	"tuid": "11786AD10EE149698DA017BD061A01E5", 
    	"tsid": "8680BA85C663465AA49DC23C7A062565_200909071244854", 
    	"suid": "0B5B57D81FF74B479B11C4DEC628CB76_200909071244931", 
    	"app_install_date": "2020-09-09" 
    	},
    	"env" : {
    	"app_version": "1.7.21295", 
    	"os": "windows", 
    	"os_version": "10.0", 
    	"language": "en", 
    	"screen": "1920x1080" 
    	},
    	"custom_props" : {
    	"LaunchMode": "NoMovie", 
    	"potplayer_type": "Mini", 
    	"potplayer_bit": "x64" 
    	}
    }
    It also pulls a list of ad domains from https://play.kakao.com/svc/potplayer/api/dns in an attempt to bypass adblocking on the DNS level.

Blacklisting stat.tiara.kakao.com, play.kakao.com, p1-play.edge4k.com, and p2-play.edge4k.com seems to prevent the ads from poping up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scj643 View Post
    I captured some web traffic that PotPlayer uses on startup
    What version is this?
    ... not that it matters. I don't trust the "ad-free" version whatsoever.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Sep 2020 at 10:15.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  26. This was on 200908 (1.7.21295)

I don't use PotPlayer anymore for the most part (I use MPV and Kodi now.)
    Quote Quote  
  27. the links seem to be stored in PotPlayer64.dll
    Quote Quote  
  28. it was easy to avoid ads with past versions by simply un-ticking an ad box or two during installation, so i never had popup ads.... but the latest version i installed doesn't have the option to un-tick ad boxes (at least not that i noticed) during installation and now i get a potplayer popup logo box in the bottom right corner every once in a while, which is where ads used to popup from what i understand.... in short, i'm not getting popup ads, instead i'm getting a popup potplayer logo box.

so if i select an older version that doesn't have "-ads.exe" in the title, can i be sure it doesn't have ads? i ask because the latest versions don't have "-ads.exe" yet they still install a popup box.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer/old-versions

Quote Quote